Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #8,446 of 24,690
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - 7/10
Action packed.  Very corny at parts.  I imagine it's not totally intelligible for someone who hasn't read the book.  Pretty faithful to the book but I didn't like the book very much.

PS. I preferred the first half for being a slower movie with much more character development.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #8,447 of 24,690
I just liked it, I was glad they didn't get overly sentimental and gay-ish like Return of the King

Not saying it was a masterpiece, but it deserved more then 3/10 for me.

But then again, I did enjoy the book very much

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #8,450 of 24,690
Rango - I liked it.  The film's got a really interesting visual style.  The story was no great shakes, but it sucked me in to the point I was really pulling for the lizard at the end.  7/10

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #8,451 of 24,690
Source Code

Jake Gyllenhall     Michelle Monaghan      Vera Farmiga

I rate it a 6 out of 10 as being entertaining to watch. A little boring. Great acting. Great plot. Great casting. Great effects. I guess this movie was just a little to close to many I have seen and needed more imagination.

Babylon A.D.

Vin Diesel

I rate it an 8 out of 10 as being entertaining to watch.

You kind of know what to expect from a movie like this. The interesting part is seeing a movie makers idea of the future. A level of cheese is there as these types of flicks are really one step away from a B movie. The elements which will save a movie like this is acting. The acting can make a movie of this level great. Always the view factor is in the imagination and effects too. Really this is a blend of action and science fiction. An element they use in this type of movie is great heavy music at the right time.

This whole movie is really a stupid story which you know before hand. The plot is as basic as they get. The cool part is in the telling. I would have given it a higher point of 1 point to a 9 rating if it had slightly better acting. At times the actors seemed like they were just non-acting as if to not do anything was better than doing something too much. In some movies non-acting works but this movie would have been better if they could have had a little more drama in the acting. We seem to be at a level now where it comes off better to have actors under act than over act. It may be just the ability of the actors here not to be able to act the parts at all. We may be suffering from overacting backlash. Maybe as a race of people we tend to show less emotion at times now and expect it to also be in actors in extreme situations. This movie would have been better with over the top cheese ball over acting. We get to see people way to calm for the situation at hand. The central players seem way to cool and together. If I was the director I would have given them a pint of booze and messed up their hair before each scene. They are all too prim and proper.
evil_smiley.gif

Vin Diesel now seems to get the parts Arnold would have won in the 90s. Is he as good at the character? I think he has an aura which makes him perfect for these. We still have the The Chronicles of Riddick's man Riddick/Vin Diesel. Were not asking for more. Well maybe a little more?    

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #8,453 of 24,690
"There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" [8.6/10]: This film was a Monday night documentary on HBO. The case of Diane Schuler, the woman who drove the wrong way on the Taconic Parkway in New York and killed herself and seven other people including four children, is examined in detail. This documentary is presented in a very dramatic way. The film-makers follow Schuler moving minute by minute inevitably toward her fate. Her movements are well documented by both witnesses and video. The controversy is that autopsy results showed that she was drunk and high. However, her family continues to claim that, based on her past behavior and character, she could not have been intoxicated. The title comes from a phone call made by her niece, one of the children in the van, immediately before the accident where she is begging for help because something was "wrong with Aunt Diane."

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #8,454 of 24,690
Sucker Punch - 4/10

Makes "Joe Vs The Volcano" look like some sort of masterpiece. How does a movie like "Sucker Punch" even get made? Possibly the worst I've seen in maybe a year that I recall.
If he does any more movies, at least have someone else write the screenplay! I'll admit that I love the director's remake of "Dawn of the Dead" and I HATE horror movies.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #8,455 of 24,690

Quote:
Sucker Punch - 4/10

Makes "Joe Vs The Volcano" look like some sort of masterpiece. How does a movie like "Sucker Punch" even get made? Possibly the worst I've seen in maybe a year that I recall.
If he does any more movies, at least have someone else write the screenplay! I'll admit that I love the director's remake of "Dawn of the Dead" and I HATE horror movies.

I gave it a 7/10. 5 points were given solely for the hot girls.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #8,457 of 24,690

Quote:
"Dead Calm"- 7/10 (1989)  The movie wasn't anything special (some intense parts, mostly predictable with good production values) but Nicole Kidman brings the score up
biggrin.gif

Oh she looked good in that one.  All of her!

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #8,458 of 24,690

Quote:
"Dead Calm"- 7/10 (1989)  The movie wasn't anything special (some intense parts, mostly predictable with good production values) but Nicole Kidman brings the score up
biggrin.gif

LOVED that movie when I first saw it. I guess it's a remake or "inspired" by Polanski's "Knife in the Water". I have Dead Calm on blu-ray but need to view it again.
With some movies I like to wait several years before watching them again. I'm doing that for "District 9". Weird, I know. Hard to believe I saw that 3 times in the theater.

I know of a lot of people who've also seen in multiple times in the theater also. Can't wait to see what the director does next.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #8,459 of 24,690
Harry Potter DH Part 2

6.5/10

Well I did think it was well done, especially the last battle with all the effects and the actors did a good job convincing you about the magnitude of the situation.

What I didn't like was Harry going mano-a-mano with Voldemort. I mean the likelihood of that happening is like what, never. There were several points where I thought he could have shot him with the killing curse but chose to waste precious opportunities by kicking him which ultimately made me cringe throughout. Honestly if I were him, I'd do an Indiana Jones moment from Raiders (the one where he shot the swordsman). Cheap but gets the job done. The film makers should have just left it to just wand work and lots and lots of running.

Condemn me all you want, but just because it's the last movie of the franchise and it has gotten emotional for a lot of people doesn't mean the film shouldn't be critiqued like any other. 

PS: I am convinced that Emma Watson discovered a spell for agelessness. 19 years just didn't do much. (;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back