Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 29, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #6,122 of 24,651
Hot Tub Time Machine - 6/10

It had its moments, meh.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #6,124 of 24,651
Afterlife - 7.5/10 ..I'm having doubts when i saw the trailer but it in a way i enjoyed it, while the wife did not

It might be better if they managed to make a happy ending.. but i wouldn't enjoy that, i enjoy movie with more realism good thing they stick with the ending

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #6,127 of 24,651

Quote:
500 Days of Summer - 8/10
Liked it a lot.  Provided me with some good laughs.  I watched it for Zooey Deschanel but the guy was actually more awesome.

They're both also in a film called Manic.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #6,128 of 24,651
Cloverfield - 5/10
The entire movie was filmed like a home video similar to the Blair Witch Project. The hand-held camera movements may cause motion sickness for some. I liked the Godzilla-like monster scenes but there were way too few.

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #6,130 of 24,651

Quote:
Cloverfield - 5/10
The entire movie was filmed like a home video similar to the Blair Witch Project. The hand-held camera movements may cause motion sickness for some. I liked the Godzilla-like monster scenes but there were way too few.

I certainly got sick. Right after they got into the convenience store in the beginning, I had to stop the disc. I was already too dizzy. I think that was about 10 minutes in.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #6,133 of 24,651
My recent flippant comment about Oldboy put me in the mood for vengeance. Last night it was Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. It is a movie I've seen oh more than ten times? That would put in a special category with Kill Bill, The Big Lewboski etc. So yeah, it has to be a 10/10 if I've watched it that many times right? I'm going to spoil the movie. If you haven't seen this movie, quit posting in this thread until you do. I won't accept it. In fact, see all three...now!

One thing has always bugged me about SfMV. The ending is too protracted. Park so masterfully showed, not told the story. It is amazing how little expository dialog was used in the film. So, why in the end, did he add the voice over? We're not that dumb. The electrocution scene was shot with a close up on the lips, when our little terrorist made her then seemingly desperate threat. You know when it should of ended - right when the knife stabs the note into the chest. That would of been perfect!

Everything else is great of course. I used to think the story was an allegory for class struggle. Now I've change my mind a little. Perhaps, it is more broad. Ryu is North Korea and Park is South? Bear with me. During the lake scene, Park explains that he knows Ryu is good but still has to kill him. In sum, could this be symbolic for the two countries' relationship? Excuse my ignorance. Anyone with more knowledge care to comment or address the obvious allegorical allusions in the movie?

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #6,135 of 24,651
I just watched Peter Jackson and the Lightning Thief the other night and I have to say, the acting and script were not my cup of tea. Everything they said seemed like a corny joke to try to get a laugh. The fights were entertaining but I found myself being able to guess the majority of the time what was going to happen or be said next. Very predictable movie IMO. I would give it a 2/5, don't be sad if you missed this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back