Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #6,076 of 24,651

Quote:
I know its not a movie, but i watched the entirety of Firefly yesterday, and im pretty upset that i didnt watch it sooner, specially after how good everyone said it was. and im also pretty upset that Fox had to ruin it and then cancel it.  4.5/5

Be sure to check out the movie: Serenity.

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #6,077 of 24,651

Quote:
I know its not a movie, but i watched the entirety of Firefly yesterday, and im pretty upset that i didnt watch it sooner, specially after how good everyone said it was. and im also pretty upset that Fox had to ruin it and then cancel it.  4.5/5

If you have the dvds or blu rays, listen to the commentary.  Any of them with Nathan Fillion (Mal) or Joss Whedon are great.  My favorite commentary is of the last episode, objects in space.

If you don't have the dvds or blu rays, get them.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6,078 of 24,651

Quote:
Be sure to check out the movie: Serenity.

ive actually had the movie since hd dvd first came out, loved the movie, just never got around to watching the show.

Quote:
If you have the dvds or blu rays, listen to the commentary.  Any of them with Nathan Fillion (Mal) or Joss Whedon are great.  My favorite commentary is of the last episode, objects in space.

If you don't have the dvds or blu rays, get them.

haha ill probably be buying the blu rays fairly soon, i watched the whole first disc from netflix on blu ray, but then rather than wait for the next two discs, i just turned on the xbox and streamed the rest of it off watch instantly.

on topic though, just got back from inception, and i think that will probably be the best film i see in theaters all year 5/5

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #6,079 of 24,651
X3 on Serenity, great flick, 9/10; loved the Firefly series as well.

Saw Inception in Imax today, 9/10 on that one also. Lots of action, many interesting details to keep you mentally engaged, plus a "Fountainish" (kind of) love story, it's a real mind-bender IMHO. Plus I liked the PG-13 aspect for violence at least, as I don't really need R-rated graphic realism in that department. I will probably end up with the disc.

Didn't bother with Airbender, couldn't find my 3D glasses and everyone thinks it sucks anyways.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #6,082 of 24,651

Quote:

haha ill probably be buying the blu rays fairly soon, i watched the whole first disc from netflix on blu ray, but then rather than wait for the next two discs, i just turned on the xbox and streamed the rest of it off watch instantly.

on topic though, just got back from inception, and i think that will probably be the best film i see in theaters all year 5/5

Firefly is on Netflix instant? Now I know what to do when I'm done with Arrested Development.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #6,083 of 24,651
I'm doing an Ellen Page marathon now as she's an incredible actress that has a tendency of acting very strange roles in completely messed up movies.

Hard Candy - 8/10.  Very powerful movie, pretty difficult to watch but a must-see movie.
An American Crime - 9/10.  An incredible movie, very powerful and moving, hard to watch but even harder to turn away.  Moreso as it's based on a true story.  Highly recommend, another must-see movie.
The Tracey Fragments - 7/10.  Very strange movie, quite intense and somewhat hard to follow until it unravels at the end.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #6,085 of 24,651
grokit:
Didn't bother with Airbender, couldn't find my 3D glasses and everyone thinks it sucks anyways.

Thank goodness, Seriously that movie deserves no more money from anyone. :D

I'm not a big fan of PG-13 myself. I think it has watered down too many movies that were in search of the most general audience. Take A-Team. To me, that movie would of been much better with some gore. It felt like Gunsmoke, the way guys collapsed, bloodless from the imaginary bullets.

Inception was fine though. I just like an excuse to babble about how awesome hard R's "are.". The older I become, the more I appreciate real adult movies

--

A fellow Head-Fi'er recommend A Murmur of the Heart to me. I'm glad he did. The 1971 French film directed by Malle, is a coming of age story spun around an inappropriate relationship. There were great comedic moments, a fantastic performance by the young protagonist, plus wonderfully unsettling interactions between the two leads. 9/10

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #6,086 of 24,651
Jul 21, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #6,087 of 24,651
Just saw The Man From Earth, 9.9/10

A movie like this is the reason that I can't give a movie like Inception a perfect rating, no matter how much I enjoyed it. With a non-existent budget, no-name actors, and no special effects or stunts, this movie literally bends our concepts of time with a quantum leap of the imagination, twisting our very sense of history, religion, and relativity inside out and upside down. This is all happens within an afternoon's conversation between a small group of people in a living room, who end up going on an intellectual, emotional and spiritual journey.

This story was the final one penned by Jerome Bixby before he died in 1998. Bixby started out writing an impressive collection of short science fiction stories back in 1949 before he went on to write some original Star Trek episodes. He inspired Isaac Asimov's and Rod Serling's worlds, and wrote some western genre screenplays under a pseudonym. Bixby also provided the genesis to the Alien movie franchise. He completed The Man From Earth on his death bed.

It's available in Blu-Ray, but don't expect high-definition. It is probably not for everyone, but I highly recommended it to all. You will probably know in the first 15 or 20 minutes whether or not you like it; it may be a love it or hate it kind of thing.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #6,088 of 24,651
I saw The Man From Earth a while back. I despised it.

no, not because it had "edgy themes" and i felt insulted by it (how anybody could be insulted by a movie this banal and platitudinist[is that even a word ?] is beyond me).

the acting was universally horrible. the cast is a bunch of supposed intellectuals, but i never once felt that the characters were any more intelligent than the actors that were portraying them, there's also the girl from the college who is brought along.. she's basically there for comic relief or sth. again, the dialogue. her's is just about the worst of them all. every question she asks and the tone in which she asks it just makes her seem like an idiot - - the actor seems disinterested and aloof the entire time, i am not convinced of who he claims he is (based on his performance) once duing the film.

if I'm making this movie sound stupider than it is, believe me, it really is that stupid. it's as though the writers sat down and tried to think of the most cliche and hackneyed things for a "sci-fi" movie and then threw it all into the caldron, mixed it up, and The Man From Earth is what resulted.

basically, it's not that the movie is so bad. i can think of a number of cheesy horror and action movies that are worse. the problem is that the movie tries to be so serious, but fails so miserably because of the terrible acting and dialogue. that is an unforgivable flaw in my book, and i tend to take things on their own merits.

5/10

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #6,089 of 24,651
Like I said, The Man From Earth not for everyone ^. But if you search out the title in this thread, there are quite a few more extremely enthusiastic reviews. And not just on Head-fi. It does take a few pokes at Christian literalists though, that could account for some of the polarization. The writers?!? It was a very intelligent and well-written story, by a legend in his field. I agree that the acting was a bit amateurish, but that did not affect my enjoyment of this movie; it may have actually added to it's authenticity (for me)
smile.gif

Interesting, that was post number "666" for you, lol... 
devil_face.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #6,090 of 24,651
buwahuwauhauh. nice one grokit, couldn't of come at a better time
evil_smiley.gif

damnit, 667 now, no more fun
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back