Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 12, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #5,867 of 24,678
Just watched "Training Day" (the credits are still rolling as I type this). The whole storyline and plot are loose in their execution and background of the characters, but Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke manage to pull off a strong, convincing performance by the end. The storyline was fairly predicting though, and it only became more obvious as time went on.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #5,871 of 24,678
It was new release day yesterday, and as been mentioned, I have resolved to make one big new release every Friday of the summer season. And man, there has been a lot of crap. To paraphrase Wade Major, one of my fave critics. twenty years ago, blockbusters were an adult conversation that kids wanted to be a part of. Now, they're a kid"s conversation that adults are expected to be a part of. I don't know if I agree but after a month so far of dung, it felt about right.

The A-Team was what it is was. I didn't love it, didn't mind it really. It shouldn't need any explanation for anyone who has witnessed some of the marketing blitz. That's what you get  - parachuting tanks with dudes firing the .50 cal at attacking UAV's. 4/10

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #5,873 of 24,678
Finally caved and watched the following with my son after he hyped them to death:

Dark Knight: I've seen some of the Batman movies and, although not the worst of a bad lot, i thought it sucked regardless. Sorry, but I couldn't wait for it to end. 1/10

Iron Man: Light, fluff, harmless. Money making vehicle and a waste of RD Jr's prodigious talent. Okay. 4/10.

Kite Runner: Now we're talking. Excellent movie. Great story, great performances. Led me to read the book which was even better. 9/10.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #5,874 of 24,678

Quote:
Dark Knight: I've seen some of the Batman movies and, although not the worst of a bad lot, i thought it sucked regardless. Sorry, but I couldn't wait for it to end. 1/10

Maybe you found Christian Bale annoying?
I know I did; check out the first Batman with Micheal Keaton and Jack Nicholson, directed by Tim Burton, score by Danny Elfman
popcorn.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #5,875 of 24,678
Quote:
Maybe you found Christian Bale annoying?
I know I did; check out the first Batman with Micheal Keaton and Jack Nicholson, directed by Tim Burton, score by Danny Elfman
popcorn.gif

Man they don't make movies like that anymore, huh?  The first Batman had the best atmosphere/mood; it was very dark with twisted comedy.  The Dark Knight tried to be gritty but it just came off as an over-the-top crime film, rather than showing an entire city deep in despair.  I thought it was a great movie, though.  I liked Val Kilmer better than Christian Bale, and Michael Keaton was probably the best as Batman.

Today I watched 'I Love You Phillip Morris'.  I'd give it a 7.5/10; it was very enjoyable but it's not something I'd go out of my way to see again.  Definitely not the Jim Carrey I remember from the 90's.
blink.gif
  But he hasn't seemed like his old self in a while.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #5,877 of 24,678
The A-Team - 8/10. I'd rate this above Iron Man 2. Had no choice but to crack up on the mocking of the old movie. If you've seen it you know exactly what I'm referring to.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #5,879 of 24,678
prince of persia  9/10 It was a bit long but I loved it.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #5,880 of 24,678
Earth, HD version, 9/10

That's the highest I'll rate any documentary, so this was perfection. Starring our living breathing world and a sampling of the creatures that inhabit it, every video frame was like a still in a National Geographic magazine. It had a touch of that old Disney drama, and some subtle reminders about the implications of climate change. A beautiful moving snapshot of what's left of our natural splendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back