Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #5,401 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I didn't mean to be 'critical' of Warhol...it's just that in real life he occurs to me as one who lived as if always putting on a conscious 'bad-act' as it were. To try to emulate that may occur as, well, bad acting.

Bowie was probably crippled by having been so long compared with Warhol.

I mean, not that he's a great actor in the first place or anything, but it's like casting a comedian who does comedic impressions of a famous person to portray them in a film - preconceptions and habits hinder the process.

Which, when you think about it, well, they say a performance artist is just a stand-up comic with no sense of humor, and Bowie did start out as a performance artist . . . .

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #5,402 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanx for the tip!! I never saw Factory Girl, but Guy Pearce is usually excellent. He's also in the first 10 or so minutes of The Hurt Locker, though you might not recognize him…the mark of a great character actor.

A must-see performance of Pearce is his early career performance in "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". I also really liked the film, "Memento" which he was brilliant in (speaking of Bowie, I think he has a song in that film). How was "The Hurt Locker"? It's on my list to see.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #5,403 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bowie was probably crippled by having been so long compared with Warhol.

I mean, not that he's a great actor in the first place or anything, but it's like casting a comedian who does comedic impressions of a famous person to portray them in a film - preconceptions and habits hinder the process.

Which, when you think about it, well, they say a performance artist is just a stand-up comic with no sense of humor, and Bowie did start out as a performance artist . . . .

Bowie gives a great performance, not lacking in any respect, in , "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" - great soundtrack to that film by Ryûichi Sakamoto who also had a leading roll in the film!

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #5,404 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by carm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently I've watched old one directed by Polanksi - Frantic. I have enjoyed it. 7/10.

I just recently watched, "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired", a documentary on the sex scandal that caused him to flee this country and never return. It offers some interesting perspectives on those legal proceedings, and especially the judge who tried the case.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #5,405 of 24,645
Quote:

Geez, why's everyone around here so down on Andy?.

Wouldn't say everyone. I love Andy Warhol.

Are there any other visual art-centric movies anyone can recommend? I've seen some of the big recent ones like Pollock, Surviving Picasso, Frida, Girl With a Pearl Earring, and Modigliani.

Quote:

He's also in the first 10 or so minutes of The Hurt Locker, though you might not recognize him…the mark of a great character actor.

Conversely, he is also great in the last ten minutes of The Road.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #5,406 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bowie gives a great performance, not lacking in any respect, in , "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" - great soundtrack to that film by Ryûichi Sakamoto who also had a leading roll in the film!

Haven't seen that one - I was recalling mostly "The Man Who Fell To Earth" (which i liked) and Labyrinth

Trivia: Faust2d and i once purchased four pair of headphones from the guy who was lead guitarist on the Labyrinth theme.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #5,407 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't seen that one - I was recalling mostly "The Man Who Fell To Earth" (which i liked) and Labyrinth

Trivia: Faust2d and i once purchased four pair of headphones from the guy who was lead guitarist on the Labyrinth theme.

oh man, the man who fell to earth was a weird movie, definitely not what i was expecting, but it was still good. Actually i should watch it again...havent seen it since i bought it on blu ray like 9 months ago

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #5,408 of 24,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't say everyone. I love Andy Warhol.

Are there any other visual art-centric movies anyone can recommend? I've seen some of the big recent ones like Pollock, Surviving Picasso, Frida, Girl With a Pearl Earring, and Modigliani.

A couple of others for that list: "Caravagio", "Lust for Life" (about Van Gogh), "Wolf at the Door" (Donald Sutherland as Gauguin - hard to find, there is another unrelated film by this name).

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #5,409 of 24,645
New York, I Love you - 7.5/10

Overall, an enjoyable movie that was artistically crafted and left a very good NYC vibe. Great cast of actors and beautiful cinematography. It left me feeling underwhelmed however as it didn't feel complete and kinda just left me hanging. Basically a collage of short stories taking place in NY in which some were engaging while others just so-so. Kind of like listening to an album where there are some great songs and others just fillers.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #5,413 of 24,645
Gran Torino: 9/10

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #5,414 of 24,645
Ong Bak

9.5/10

What a entertaining film. A Muy Thai master searches a city to recover stolen goods.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #5,415 of 24,645
Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

8/10

Not as good as the original but still quite entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back