Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #4,786 of 24,651
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the book was only slightly less weak.

And you were extremely generous with your rating points... about 5 points too generous!
tongue.gif

I really enjoyed the book. I am reading The Great Train Robbery now. I had no idea Crichton was 6'9". I rated the movie higher than I thought it should be because I liked the book so much, but you are right the movie sucked.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #4,787 of 24,651
500 Days of Summer finally came out here! Gawd... I had this terrible feeling that I overhyped it too much for myself... but I just saw it and it blew me away.

It's more creatively filmed than your typical romcom and felt like a combination of the whimsical quirky quality of "Stranger Than Fiction" and the indie-hipster style of something like "High Fidelity" - and that all works well for me since I find the whole package charming. Plus, the perfect chemistry between Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who is probably the best actor of his generation) and Zooey Deschanel (who is probably the most charming actress of her generation) makes everything work like clockwork.

So many film, music and pop-culture references to enjoy as well: Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen... meet-cute on the elevator while listening to The Smiths... the Unknown Pleasures t-shirt... Belle & Sebastian... Bergman film references... and many many many more.

10/10. Really.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #4,788 of 24,651
^ I can't wait to see it! Purely as I like the characters Zooey seems to play in her movies, and I've liked most of her movies, maybe with the exception of "Failure to Launch" but Zooey was good in it nonetheless.

I guess I'll wait for the DVD.

Good to know it's not overly hyped though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #4,791 of 24,651
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

7/10

Only gets high points for looking amazing and having some epic fight scenes. I'm still trying to determine the depth of the excuse they had for a story. I still liked it for a mindless flick. Totally worth watching on Blu-Ray with a friend, and not paying for the copy myself...

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #4,793 of 24,651
Magnolia - 10/10

Would have been 9/10 but the frogs pushed it over the edge... pure genius.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #4,797 of 24,651
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

7/10

Only gets high points for looking amazing and having some epic fight scenes. I'm still trying to determine the depth of the excuse they had for a story. I still liked it for a mindless flick. Totally worth watching on Blu-Ray with a friend, and not paying for the copy myself...

2/10 This movie was so riddled with holes "Only a Prime can kill a Prime but yet still Optimus died at the hands of Megatron".

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #4,798 of 24,651
District 9
I give this film 4 or 5 stars and I only do so because I feel that it is exceptionally good.
Initially I was skeptical of it being any good because it is a science fiction film and was developed outside Hollywood but the special effects were definitely cutting-edge and the storyline was fantastic.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #4,799 of 24,651
Quote:

Originally Posted by F0rz4k3n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
District 9
I give this film 4 or 5 stars and I only do so because I feel that it is exceptionally good.
Initially I was skeptical of it being any good because it is a science fiction film and was developed outside Hollywood but the special effects were definitely cutting-edge and the storyline was fantastic.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised as well. It sets itself up for a sequel as well, but ends well nevertheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back