Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 4, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #3,603 of 24,654
Wolverine -- Rated a step above meh, in that it surprised me that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

May 4, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #3,604 of 24,654
I just watched Franklyn, and it was quite amazing, an all-original imagining of parallel worlds (this one and a fictional one where following a faith (no matter what) is required by the state). The story progresses as the lines between the two worlds literally blur.

The movie is highly ambitious, its world created with masterful skill, but the story itself is disjointed and imperfect. Even though it follows the age old plot of disparate threads brought slowly together, and even though there is a very regular and satisfying ending, there are many questions and uncertainties that remain.

People who enjoy pondering implications and significances will be highly intrigued by the movie, but it tries very hard to define alternate possibilities on how life works (God, faith, destiny, the butterfly effect), but then because it has to end in 1.5 hours, it misses the mark while requiring the audience to watch very carefully. It felt like just 30 minutes had passed, but pretty soon the credits were rolling!

8/10, but 10/10 for effort, and it looks like the closest this British film will get to the US is a small release in Canada.

May 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #3,605 of 24,654
Let the right one in - 9.2/10 Must view with subtitles, the English dubbing is atrocious.

X-Men Origins Wolverine - 2/10 When is Hollywood going to learn that plot and character development matter? 100+ minutes of action and special effects..... Boring. I hate that I'm vested in this franchise, at this point I HAVE to see new installments, even if they suck.

I fear the same will be true with the new Star Trek movie, that they've gone and made it an action movie. At this point however I'll have to see it, I've got 40 years vested in that franchise. Trek and Bond, at this point I couldn't not see them.

May 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #3,606 of 24,654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X-Men Origins Wolverine - 2/10 When is Hollywood going to learn that plot and character development matter? 100+ minutes of action and special effects..... Boring. I hate that I'm vested in this franchise, at this point I HAVE to see new installments, even if they suck.

I figured that would happen
frown.gif
. Especially a shame with Wolverine, since there's not exactly a lack of melodramatic plots and bipolar character developments to make a movie of.

May 4, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #3,607 of 24,654
Saw Fast & Furious on the weekend. Was better than I thought it'd be in pretty much every way, except maybe for the driving scenes. Felt the same as 2 Fast 2 Furious (haven't seen Tokyo Drift). Anyway, I'd probably give it 7/10.

May 5, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #3,609 of 24,654
Quote:

Let the right one in - 9.2/10 Must view with subtitles, the English dubbing is atrocious.

I fear the same will be true with the new Star Trek movie, that they've gone and made it an action movie. At this point however I'll have to see it, I've got 40 years vested in that franchise. Trek and Bond, at this point I couldn't not see them.

Agreed on all counts. Not to mention all the trailers gave people the false hope of seeing more of their favorite characters (e.g. deadpool, gambit). The special effects and action was pretty poorly put together too. Normally an enjoyable action movie I'd still rate a 6-7/10 on my scale, but the pacing, the acting, everything felt out of sync.

The Star Trek movie I'm still looking forward to. All the early buzz has been overwhelmingly positive, although they do question how well it will do with hardcore trekkies (of which I'm not). Overall it's supposed to be the most accessible and fun Star Trek movie ever made. Plus it's J.J. Abrams. Love him or hate him, I have a lot of trust in that guy to make a great film.

Scratching X-Men Origins, it's going to be a good summer with Terminator Salvation, Inglorious Basterds, Star Trek, etc coming out.

May 5, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #3,610 of 24,654
The Uninvited - 6/10. It was ok until the ending wich was just not believable to me. I read that they change the ending in this remake of the original Korean movie so maybe I should watch the original.

May 5, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #3,611 of 24,654
Quote:

I disagree. I thought it was very very plot-focused. And what's so bad about action and special effects?

May 5, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #3,612 of 24,654
The day the Earth stood still. (0/10)
In a word, embarrassing. This remake has been so dumbed down and it has no redeeming features at all, not one. Keanu Reeves is horribly miscast as Klaatu(They should have made him Gort). Gort the robot is totally CGI and therefore lacks any realism. Jennifer Connelly just does not convince playing an Astro biologist. The Music is as interesting as Reeve's performance, no style cues were taken from the original film by the master Bernard Herrman.
I did not expect anything from this film when I first heard about it a year and half ago due to Hollywood's reputation and this was verified when first watched. I was flamed for saying so and now that particular forum(IMDB) is quiet about this atrocity. If anybody here has not seen the original 1951 version then you should be ashamed of yourself, drop everything and go rent this masterpiece. It leaves this remake in the dust. Scott Derrickson the film maker and I use this word loosely should be banned for life from making any further films for showing no respect or talent. I truly believe that the directer went out of his way to trash this film its so bad. Sorry for sounding so scolding but this is a personal favorite of mine(and many others) and for some yahoo to came along and make an abortion out of it is unacceptable.

May 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #3,614 of 24,654
Quote:

Are we talking about the same slow film about that vampire girl? Damn..
tongue.gif

"Platoon" - 8/10
Epic is the right word I think. Impressive and overwhelming also come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back