Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #2,161 of 24,645
Stormy Monday - 8/10 But, Tuesday's just as bad. Dark, colorful, well directed, exquisitely cast, focuses on characters, even with an action-friendly plot, and it all flows around a little jazz group--it's just plain solid. Don't believe that 6.3 on IMDB.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2,162 of 24,645
I've managed to watch some wonderful stinkers in the last few days:

Drop Zone: Wesley Snipes is a DEA agent working with a group of Skydivers to pursue a group of bank robbers who are also Skydivers. (Who comes up with this junk). This was a ridiculous movie full of many ridiculous moments and just...just...whatever. Don't waste time with this movie. (1/10)

Deep Rising: Seriously, what is wrong with cable movie channels? This movie was about a group of hijacker/robbers who board a Luxury Liner to rob it. Only problem is when they get on board, there is no one (save a few people) left alive on board and most of the people they come across in later minutes appear to have died most gruesome deaths due to some squid-octopus creature that has taken over the ship. B-Grade, but had some moments that made us laugh out loud. I'll give it a 3/10 for the laughs but it was worthless as well.

To be fair though, cable TV movie channels managed to redeem themselves somewhat with a couple of much better movies:

We Are Marshall: If you know the story, you know the story, and if you don't, Marshall University lost their entire football team in a freak plane crash and had to rebuild the entire team in a year. Typical feel good sports movie, but possibly in comparison to the rest of the kitsch on tv at the time, it was watchable: 6.5/10

The Ex: I didn't think I'd like this movie, but Amanda Peet made it watchable. again, I think it felt better because of the other junk we ended up watching, but it wasn't bad, and some parts were funny (if not rehashes of similar gags from similar movies) 6/10

And finally, the best movie that was one that we caught in the last couple of days:

My Dog Skip: I loved this movie. It was about a kid who has no friends and leads a fairly sheltered life until his mom goes over his father's head and gets him a dog. The dog leads him through the trials-and-tribulations of life. The movie worked very well and I think my favorite part was seeing young Diane Lane (lovely). One of the few movies in recent years that actually made me want to cry a little when I watched it. 8/10

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #2,164 of 24,645
88 Minutes - 3/10

Al Pacino crams a whole days worth of activity and travelling multiple times across Seattle in only 88 minutes, the time a mystery caller tells him he has left to live. Not sure how he did it, but he's pretty amazing, so I can't argue here.

The entire movie is completely implausible.

Mirrormask - 6/10

Stunning visuals overshadow an overall dull story. More of a children's fantasy/fairy tale. The visuals are truly amazing, however, and worth a look.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #2,166 of 24,645
Death Race - 0/10 - mario kart mature version. worst movie eva hate it sooo much. no storyline no, nth
Charlie bartlett - 9/10 - Brilliant movie, about a rich boy who likes to get popular and did some things in school.
The Rocker - 6/10 - Quite an ok movie though, some parts are lame but overall its about a guy who wants to make his band into a famous band.
The Dark Knight - 10/10 (abit long though) - Need i say more ?
smily_headphones1.gif

IronMan - 8/10 - expected better for this but overall still a darn good superhero movie.

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #2,167 of 24,645
"The Happening" [8.2/10]: If I remember correctly, the reviews on this movie were not very good. I agree the acting was stiff and some of the dialogue was stilted and corny. However, I thought that the basic story was scary. I don't want to spoil it for those that are planning to see it, but there are some scary images both visual and mental in this film. Good Halloween scary movie...

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #2,169 of 24,645
Ok, seen a few movies since the last time I posted on this thread so here goes:

Ronin- A very solid, highly entertaining watch, full of action and slick characters and stunts, equally. I thought the allegorical 'ronin' concept was extremely forced though and a bit ridiculously connected to the mercenearies of the film's events we witness as an audience. To me, this film was too shallow and surfarencial to be considered great. It played out very much like a bond film. Interesting, high calibre cast though.

7/10

Silent Hill- Friends of mine warned me that this film, as one might very much anticipate given it's nature (both in horror genre and, of course, videogame-film adaptation), that the dialogue and acting in this film was very weak and stilted. Have to say, be it because of my expectations of the film on this merit going into the watch or not, that, as much as the acting and dialogue was not fantastic by any means, it wasn't awful like I had visualised. It was satisfactory and did not detract from the watch. The story, however, was gash, in my opinion. Up until the film began to explain its mythology, I was highly entertained and impressed, and, admittedly, a little creeped out by the imagery and physical portrayal of Silent Hill and it's demonly inhabitants. Watching the movie play out, often felt like watching a videogame also; the progression pathway I could very much parallel to a game of it's ilk. Then, came the inevitable explanation of the film's universe. Weak. Too weak, IMO, for the power of what you've been witnessing up to this point. And what was with Sean Bean's odd american accent? Even more creepy than the pyramid man, or whatever he's called!

6.5/10

In Bruges- This film really resonated with me. High plaudits from me, seriously. Really excellent film! I've slowly become a fan of Gleeson over the years, in marriage with his slow evolution to greater notiority and bigger acting parts. He's a solid, solid actor whom I've yet to see a bad or jarring performance from (though his attempted london accent in '28 days later' was a little rough around the edges!). Colin Farell, I don't have much experience of- likely due to the mainstram roles he's taken up and/or his bad boy hollywood reputation-, but he delivers a terrific performance as partner/collegue to Gleeson; they really counterpoint one another excellently. The dialogue between the two, paticulary in the first 1/3-1/2 of the film when the movie, basically, follows these two characters in isolation, is awesome stuff. Hilarious, emotional, real. I thoroughly enjoyed following these two characters and how they interact with one another as this film sets itself up and gets itself established. Once the dark aspects starts to kick in, approx half way through, the film only grows more real and even better. By the time Ralph Fienne's character is physically introduced, the film has you fully gripped, and tops itself off with an exciting, uncertain and poignant finale. Throughly enjoyed tis film!

8.5/10

I'll add more in a bit- really got into serious typing mode there!

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #2,170 of 24,645
Doomsday 7/10
Entertaining enough. Could have done more out of it, and has some stupid moments, but all in all, worth seeing.

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #2,175 of 24,645
Everything Is Illuminated - 8/10

The people watching it with me said it was too heavy-handed, obvious, etc. I agree it was a predictable plot, but I was captured through the whole movie. I liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back