Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 2, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #1,591 of 24,654
I've been on a bit of 70's paranoia thriller kick the last year or so. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thus far, I have watched The Parallax View, Marathon Man, Three Days of Condor, The Conversation, and The Tenant.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #1,592 of 24,654
Wall-E - pure intellectual/philosophical bliss with dazzling graphics and a throw back to an old sci-fi classic. 9.5/10

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #1,593 of 24,654
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wall-E : 5 stars out of 5.

Possibly one of the best Pixar films released to date. The first half of the movie contains ZERO dialogue, yet they still managed to convey emotion and deliver character development considerably more powerful than 95% of the drivel that has come out of Hollywood in the last 10 years. The points they are trying to make with this movie are timely - save the planet, the obesity epidemic and the disconnection between human beings and emotions brought on by technology, yet it was done quite tastefully, and never became too "preachy". I think this movie is profoundly prophetic, and people will view it 25 years from now and be struck with awe as to how accurately it depicted the future (not much unlike how the original Star Trek series nailed the future).

I think you hit all the major points, however an important element was missing from analysis, yet it just so happen to be the first one narrated in the movie - the loneliness and the strength to be happy and cheerful in face of adversity.

Another equally relevant issue in the movie was the idea that the new and old can harmonious coexist and that the old shouldn't be thrown away, bu rather be charished and loved (walle's collection).

Of course the obvious love story, which I found to be strange unless you assume machines have souls. Should you assume that the walle and eve are not merely machines but a representation of human then it makes a lot more sense; we can see this clearly against the backdrop of humans on the Axiom living their lives like machines.

Definitely warrant another watch to tease out additional issues I missed.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #1,595 of 24,654
Wall-E - Okay, almost fell asleep. Nothing close to Nemo. But the kids enjoyed it. 7/10

Juno (Bluray)- Awesome film, funny and witty. Superb script- one of the best. Ellen Page played the lead role to perfection. 10/10

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #1,598 of 24,654
Wanted - 9/10

It was a lot better than I expected...good directing, nice visuals, a little over the top at the end but all in all, great entertaining action flick.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #1,599 of 24,654
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wanted - 9/10

It was a lot better than I expected...good directing, nice visuals, a little over the top at the end but all in all, great entertaining action flick.

A LOT over the top, still enjoyable. 7.8/10

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #1,601 of 24,654

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back