Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #21,511 of 24,651
I saw the remake of Rabid Dogs but that wasn't up to much - kinda directionless. Still haven't got around to the original yet. Black Sunday is a good Mario Bava flick... that mask with the inward-facing spikes is a horrible way to go! Light on horror, but great for atmospherics.

The Batcavers could only have wished to be so gothic!

C5813AFB-9812-44D4-8E9C-1A5E392362B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #21,513 of 24,651
The Shape of Water - 5/10

Probably the worst i've seen in the last year or so and that's too bad because I was really looking forward to this one.
It's nice to look at and has good set designs, but this movie just bored me to death. I probably lost all interest in it about halfway in.

Strangely enough the best scenes are with the two janitors just doing their job and not much else other than talking.
I sort of liked it at first, but then I just kept going on and on.

During one part of the movie I was thinking if they remade Harry and the Hendersons as some serious art film it would be sort of be like this.
Some parts also reminded me of ET! I also found a lot of it looked like something out of "Bioshock" the video game.

I guess one reason I didn't like this is that my brain was turned off the whole movie. I didn't really care about any of it's characters at all.

The way I felt after seeing this is sort of my same reaction after watching "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #21,514 of 24,651
MomAndDad.jpg

Budget $63,000
Box office $40-100 million (estimated)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mom_and_Dad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger_Babb

With roots going back to medicine show carnival side shows, showman
extraordinaire Krodger Babb created one the first exploitation films pushed as a sex hygiene film. Mom and Dad went on to become one of the top grossing films of the 40s.

images.jpg

Though 2017's Mom and Dad comes off as a dark comedy disguised as a horror movie, complete with social commentary.I don't think it's going to do so well.

2/10

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #21,515 of 24,651
220px-The_Green_Inferno_poster.jpg

Way more brutal than I remember it. Not as great either. I was surprised my Wife made it till the end. 4-10

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #21,516 of 24,651
D51BE0E5-CDFB-41FE-A308-8B4BEF336DD7.jpeg

Wrong Turn #4

As delightful as “Damnatio ad bestias” and just as bloody. 7-10

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #21,517 of 24,651
Blade Runner: Final Cut: 10/10

This is actually the first time I've ever watched this movie in full. While it's dated in feeling, it pulls it off anyway. The strong dystopian vibe works incredibly well. This is a movie that defies expectation while raising important philosophical questions, as any good sci-fi should. I definitely see where The Last Jedi was trying to aim for, in its own way.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #21,518 of 24,651
Blade Runner: Final Cut: 10/10

This is actually the first time I've ever watched this movie in full. While it's dated in feeling, it pulls it off anyway. The strong dystopian vibe works incredibly well. This is a movie that defies expectation while raising important philosophical questions, as any good sci-fi should.

I have the Blade Runner: Work Print that shows Decker and Rachel driving away at the end. Taking into account the storyline of the latest release that makes most sense. IMO.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #21,519 of 24,651
I kind of thought they showed too much of the monster, where less would have been more. His voice was like a game level boss. But maybe this is horror in 2018 for kids?
The Midnight Man 2018

Being a vehicle to scare the Schiit out of 17 years old movie goers, yes.

It’s like watching a professional cook or sports figure do their thing.

7-10

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #21,520 of 24,651

Way more brutal than I remember it. Not as great either. I was surprised my Wife made it till the end. 4-10

IIRC last time you reviewed this, you said you mainly liked the photography and the colours of it. Eh, it's Roth. I don't really rate him at the best of times. He so wanted this to be an updated Cannibal Holocaust, but it just doesn't have the balls of that film.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #21,521 of 24,651
IIRC last time you reviewed this, you said you mainly liked the photography and the colours of it. Eh, it's Roth. I don't really rate him at the best of times. He so wanted this to be an updated Cannibal Holocaust, but it just doesn't have the balls of that film.

Ahhhh, I do remember our talk, must have been 2013? At the time I was just happy to see the jungle adventure sub-genre at least get a tribute film. And to not be too critical of the film, many of the concepts unique to the genre were included. The thing about Cannibal Holocaust was it’s fame or the in-famous reputation that preceded it. Books and books told stories of the film, how the actors had to sign contracts to stay out of pictures for a year after so people may think it was really real! It’s also historic as the first found footage film in the horror genre. I showed up at Tower Records the day it was supposed to be out on DVD. I asked but none of the staff even came back to tell me if it was in stock or not. Maybe I scared them?

But jungle adventure subgenre has had it’s day, and now it seems more traditional ghost stories, and spirit hauntings are the trend. Sadly up next to see is Jigsaw which will be an interesting chance for the SAW ideas to once more be played out. But I do watch way too much horror, and it’s complete nonsense. My Wife and I had a long talk trying to remember how many of the redneck maniacs made it from Wrong Turn 5 to Wrong Turn 6. I thought all of them lived, to return? Also I’m excited most about Ghost House. I haven’t even seen a trailer but......I have high hopes for it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #21,522 of 24,651
cult_.jpg

Cult of the Cobra : 6/10

Old Universal B movie that tells the story of six G.I.s who attend a secret ritual of the Lamians (worshippers of snake women), while stationed in Asia. They cause a ruckus by taking photographs of the ritual when expressly forbidden, leading the Lamian High Priest to put a curse on them. On returning to the States, they are picked off one by one by the emissary of the curse; a snake in woman's skin.

Some decent photography and lighting help to elevate the film above the inherent hokiness of its plot, as well as a genuinely quite creepy turn from Faith Domergue (it's all in the eyes!). I think there's a clear influence from Cat People at play - the attractive, exotic, but strangely aloof girl next door; the way we have to believe that she's actually a wild beast behind the human facade when the transformations are only ever alluded to by shadows on the wall; even the way it's more of an atmospheric melodrama rather than straight-up horror. It's less nuanced than Cat People though and lacks that magic spark; it's all a bit predictable, especially the final dissolve shot, after Marshall Thompson has battled a rubber snake with a hat stand. In spite of its shortcomings though, it's not without a certain charm :wink: Nice use of 'snake eye lens' too!

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #21,523 of 24,651

image.jpeg

It must be better than Karloff's last film. He died in 69, and the film released in 71. It has some good parts, that's all I'll say.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #21,524 of 24,651
Bad Day For the Cut (2017) 7/10

I would have rated this higher but the final big reveal is not really a surprise to anyone. What you do get is a well paced Irish revenge thriller that is paced well and acted very well. Sort of Irleands answer to the likes of Kraftidioten. Hapless farmer finds his mother bludgeoned to death in their farmhouse and sets off to take revenge on those responsible. Simple enough plot with some old and new takes on the state of crime in Ireland.

Well worth the rent for fans of the genre.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #21,525 of 24,651

Cult of the Cobra : 6/10

Old Universal B movie that tells the story of six G.I.s who attend a secret ritual of the Lamians (worshippers of snake women), while stationed in Asia. They cause a ruckus by taking photographs of the ritual when expressly forbidden, leading the Lamian High Priest to put a curse on them. On returning to the States, they are picked off one by one by the emissary of the curse; a snake in woman's skin.

Some decent photography and lighting help to elevate the film above the inherent hokiness of its plot, as well as a genuinely quite creepy turn from Faith Domergue (it's all in the eyes!). I think there's a clear influence from Cat People at play - the attractive, exotic, but strangely aloof girl next door; the way we have to believe that she's actually a wild beast behind the human facade when the transformations are only ever alluded to by shadows on the wall; even the way it's more of an atmospheric melodrama rather than straight-up horror. It's less nuanced than Cat People though and lacks that magic spark; it's all a bit predictable, especially the final dissolve shot, after Marshall Thompson has battled a rubber snake with a hat stand. In spite of its shortcomings though, it's not without a certain charm :wink: Nice use of 'snake eye lens' too!

I am going to have to re watch this. Must be near 40 years since I have seen it as a teen and remember it mainly for it's enlightenment that both Faith and Long had film careers before they became staples of TV series.

On that note went through Rabid Dogs again and came away with a strong impression that Quenton took a lot of inspiration from that one into Reservoir Dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back