Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 16, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #21,496 of 24,651
large_1QqwJBv5a6ddgzaT6cLytJioyrJ.jpg

Watchmen 8/10

As good as everyone said it would be, kept me interested the whole way through its 3.5 hour length. Pacing was almost perfect and I'm happy a respectable amount of the lines were straight from the source.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #21,497 of 24,651
Singstreet
8/10
Did not expect much but boy, I loved every character! Only the ending was a little bit "weird(?).

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #21,498 of 24,651
large_2TTiOK7TpMAOvmyod5120dtEvfO.jpg

Whats love got to do with it 8/10

Great performances from Laurence Fishbourne and Angela Bassett. A ton of historical inaccuracies though, still entertaining and a solid watch.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #21,499 of 24,651
B585EAE5-F2AE-47F6-A509-44B161A47DDA.jpeg

Kingsman 1.0 was way, way better. Sadly even with all the high speed effects this movie is a turd. Lol

3/10

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #21,500 of 24,651
Blade Runner 2049
I have always been a HUGE fan of the original Blade Runner, i own every release made in english; so I was really worried about this one.
MY GOD they got it right, it is truly an extension of the original movie and I was glued to the movie the entire time. I fell in love again :).
That being said, my wife who had never watched the first one all the way through had a lot of questions as I think you need the baseline.
The amazing thing about the original was that it made you think, it was sci fi to the next level and I have a friend that took a semester coarse that just focused on Blade Runner.
The new one not only has the loo and feel, but makes you think. So much deeper then what on the surface.
If you have never seen the first one, watch it first...and then just buy them both.

The music in the first Blade Runner has such a mood. It’s like seeing the movie or listening to the music is an alternative dimensional reality. It sits there in stasis until activated, transporting the viewer to this Sci/Fi world. I somehow never get tired of the effect? When the original film was released many folks we’re mesmerised by the music. When they went to get the cassette or LP it was an orchestral rendition of the score. The public could not get the original soundtrack, and this went on for years.

“Work officially began on the score at Nemo in December of 1981, with Vangelis receiving footage from the editing room on VHS tapes, scene by scene, then processing the visual inputs and cues, creating live takes using the dozen or so synthesizers at his studio. This immediate integration of sounds and vision was key in making the music responsive to the unfolding scenes and the atmosphere Scott had created. They were not simply connected through aesthetics or the call-and-response of the narrative, but through a shared emotional tonality and fully cohesive sensual environment: just cold enough to be artificial, just feeling enough to be alive.”

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/how-vangelis-cult-blade-runner-score-became-a-classic.html

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #21,502 of 24,651
exodus 2/10

Bought the 4K version by misstake. Was supposed to get another collection. Maybe my view is coloured but I didn´t even think the image quality was all that great. It was great fun to see the exact same environments as in assassins creed origin. Either origin copied environments from the movie or they use the same source material for research.

Bale totally bombs as Moses it´s painful to see.

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #21,503 of 24,651
Planet of the Vampires is a 1965 film by Italian director Mario Bava that takes place in deep space as two ships traveling together receive a distress call from a nearby planet so they decide to investigate. During the entry the crew becomes unconscious and upon awakening they begin to attack each other before being knocked to their senses.

On the planet they discover the distress call emanates from an ancient ship and its long dead gigantic crew and get to hear a catchy alien tune while almost being trapped inside. Meanwhile, their own crew is under attack by a ghostly unseen force that occupies corpses to bring the dead back to life. Their only hope is to escape the planet, but they are not alone in that regard.

This movie had a big influence on director Ridley Scott and his movie Alien. It was done on a shoestring budget by Bava, but the set and effects are spooky and well done. Barry Sullivan, who is is an American, Norma Bengell , a Braziliian, and Evi Marandi, born in Greece, all star in the film. It's a fantastic sci-fi adventure in every way and not to be missed.

One of my favorites. 10/10 for a great watch and the coolest leather spacesuits you'll ever see.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #21,504 of 24,651
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger:_Diabolik

Planet Of The Vampires is a favorite Bava of mine, though my all time favorite is Danger Diabolik (same leather costume almost). Truly there is so many ideas that Scott stole from POTV, like the sleeping alien, maybe the most noticeable. I need to go back into my Bava collection of DVDs as I have actually forgotten most of the titles. It's true though that some of his movies seem to live on and on. Rabid Dogs is a great one, that many have never seen.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #21,506 of 24,651
Blade Runner 2049

My rating ........great.
Probably have to see it more times, though I’m still liking the original one better.
Nice dovetails back in time to the old movie and fresh new ideas and filming looks. The slowness was relaxing. Music was cool, and plot hard to pre-guess.

CF5DDBB3-1AF4-4D44-B391-C0BD9ABF03DB.jpeg
That's where most of the movie takes place in a car, isn't it? I have it but haven't seen it myself. Hatchet for the Honeymoon is another I really like:

Yes, about 89% of the movie is in the car. Which is still maybe a very novel idea for film. More interesting than a whole movie shot at a dinner table, maybe? Of course it’s acting and script, a great movie could be filmed anywhere? Have not seen Hatchet for the Honeymoon. I may try to find it?

———————————————————————————————

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #21,507 of 24,651
The Commuter - 5/10

Not very suspenseful and nothing original at all. "Non-Stop" is a much better movie and this made "Speed" look like some sort of masterpiece in comparison.
I didn't care really what even happened in the movie.
I haven't rolled my eyes this much during a movie in years. Somewhat entertaining at least and I saw it for free.
The camera work and editing seems to be very bad.

See "Runway Train" instead. It's a film from 1985 and way better!

BTW I've been watching the original "Ghostbusters" once per week for the last few months during work.
That movie seems to not get worse after a million views. I never realized how good it was until a I saw it at least a dozen times.
The stupidest scene though is when that female ghost unzips their pants....why was that even in there.
It's actually one of the funniest comedies there is too.

The remake was awful IMO. I think I gave it a 4/10 or something.

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #21,508 of 24,651
20. The alternate ‘happy ending’ for “Blade Runner” re-uses footage from the opening helicopter shots of the mountains and woodland. If you watch the negative of “Blade Runner” in 1.85:1 instead of 2/35:1 you can see the yellow car on the road at the bottom of the frame.

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/www.i...bout-stanley-kubricks-the-shining-100294/amp/
They went and had to build it on an Indian burial ground didn’t they.
D03B4C8C-3384-4FDD-84A8-37CEDEFC9732.jpeg

http://www.theoverlookhotel.com/ <spoilers abound!
Ephemera related to Stanley Kubrick's Masterpiece of Modern Horror, 'The Shining'

The Shining 1980
Seeing this for the first time in 1080p is a thrilling ride. Just a modern masterpiece on a multitude of levels.....acting, script, photography, pace, mood etc, etc. The music from the 1920s added to the mood-influences of different times and places. Along with the graphic images was a story line which left so much out, only to be filled by the imagination. Jack Nicholson is always given credit for his role, but this time I felt Shelley Duvall had just as strong of performance in her own way..............of course all along coming face to face with the magnificent historic performance of ”Jack”.

Kubrick somehow convinced the trailer censorship councils that the hotel was filled with only rusty water and received the “OK” for this!

Is the end photograph of Jack Torrance at the 1920s event proof that his ghost could time travel back in time? Or is the photograph simply a reality forgery in Jack’s mind?

Edit:

Looks like “Stanley” fills in the questions.
http://screenprism.com/insights/art...e-overlooks-july-4th-1921-party-at-the-end-of

http://www.tested.com/art/movies/457145-shining-and-steadicam/

Browns invention of the Steadicam was ran by Brown for The Shining, but my childhood friend’s Father was Brown’s first retail customer. The device was $60,000 which equals $230,000 USD today. He won awards doing nature documentaries as such a tool had never been applied to the sub-genre. The product became more low weight as it was perfected, though we heard about back pain around the house due to his Father taking model 1.0 out into nature.

F8B01C18-9D55-4345-B60E-6CDFD42D115D.jpeg

10/10

Attachments

• E614166C-F232-4409-95CF-8BC618E58D46.jpeg
    E614166C-F232-4409-95CF-8BC618E58D46.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #21,509 of 24,651
I need to go back into my Bava collection of DVDs as I have actually forgotten most of the titles. It's true though that some of his movies seem to live on and on. Rabid Dogs is a great one, that many have never seen.

I saw the remake of Rabid Dogs but that wasn't up to much - kinda directionless. Still haven't got around to the original yet. Black Sunday is a good Mario Bava flick... that mask with the inward-facing spikes is a horrible way to go! Light on horror, but great for atmospherics.

Jan 19, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #21,510 of 24,651
BTW I've been watching the original "Ghostbusters" once per week for the last few months during work.
That movie seems to not get worse after a million views. I never realized how good it was until a I saw it at least a dozen times.
The stupidest scene though is when that female ghost unzips their pants....why was that even in there.
It's actually one of the funniest comedies there is too.

Are you saying that ghosts shouldn't be able to physically interact with the real world? Or just that they shouldn't be so forward?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back