Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 12, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #21,466 of 24,615
I guess many would be surprised just how many recent blockbusters Snyder has made, though, at times some of his movies do better than others. He is an artistic visual comic book to film adapter. It will be interesting what future jobs he gets. I’m still getting caught up on his work.

And a warning to any who haven’t seen it Watchmen is 3 hours-thirty-five min.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #21,467 of 24,615
Another great Snyder movie is legend of the guardians. Damn scary for a "kids movie"
I looked that up and a bunch of owls came up. First thing came to mind is, how good can a movie about a bunch of owls be? Given the name, I was expecting another super hero flick.

It seems critics are not on Zack's side looking at the rotten tomatoes percentages.

Critics seem to like Edgar Wright's directing although I didn't think Baby Driver was anything groundbreaking.

Anybody enjoy Zack's version of Batman?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #21,468 of 24,615
a-bittersweet-life-movie-poster-2005-1020449098.jpg

A Bittersweet Life : 4/10

An idiot overreacts to his idiotic young lackey messing up an idiotic task and sets in motion a chain reaction of idiocy.

The paper thin plot is little more than an excuse to show lots of nicely choreographed violence. I'm not a huge fan of the Korean revenge thriller at the best of times - with a few notable exceptions, they're just ultra-stylish slug fests with humongous body counts - but this one is just taking the piss. By the end, literally everyone is dead and no-one can really put their finger on why. Just a load of macho suits massively overrating to everything.

Characterization is almost an afterthought. Beyond his propensity for extreme violence, the lead is a blank slate. Hotel manager / gang enforcer / martial artist extraordinaire Sunwoo's attachment to his boss Kang's girlfriend is ridiculous. In his dying moments, he recalls her face like she was the love of his life, when he actually met her twice, had lunch with her and attended her cello recital. And what's in the box, his parting gift... it couldn't be that red lamp by any chance, could it? It could?! Brilliant.

This was basically South Korea doing The Equalizer before Denzel had chance to massacre it - a vacuous, pointless, puerile beat 'em up that shows why the good Korean revenge thrillers are so few and far between and is the reason why I'm pretty much sick to the back teeth of them at this point. The only reason I'm not rating this lower is that the cinematography was was actually pretty impressive. Frankly though, I expected a lot more from the director of what was an effective horror in A Tale of Two Sisters and it doesn't bode well for his upcoming live action adaptation of the fantastically nuanced anime Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade either.

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #21,469 of 24,615
Oh poo. I was going to give that a spin on the basis of Tale of Two Sisters. Too bad. Jin-Roh as a live action, I just don't see that coming off well by any director.

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #21,470 of 24,615
I looked that up and a bunch of owls came up. First thing came to mind is, how good can a movie about a bunch of owls be? Given the name, I was expecting another super hero flick.

It seems critics are not on Zack's side looking at the rotten tomatoes percentages.

Critics seem to like Edgar Wright's directing although I didn't think Baby Driver was anything groundbreaking.

Try it its not the average Pixar or Disney movie. There is a lot of violence and dark themes in it despite cute owls.

As for that batman vs superman movie. Superman always sucks its such a flawed character and don't even remember his batman but it was at least a bit different.

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #21,471 of 24,615
Oh poo. I was going to give that a spin on the basis of Tale of Two Sisters. Too bad. Jin-Roh as a live action, I just don't see that coming off well by any director.

Yeah, me neither. I dunno, you might like ABL more than me, I think most fans of the genre would. As I say, I'm just done with it - a bit like you with zombies :wink:

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #21,472 of 24,615
AA147345-C6D2-4F78-8C3F-67C170F7F3E7.jpeg

Can’t believe I payed money to see this......2/10.

Yes, it was a different style of Batman. Not that entertaining for me. Though the soundtrack was spectacular. They never really showed the car that much, though the car had a presentation in the film. The car was there you just could not see it well.

The movie as a whole was a little boring. Just rewatched it again, and the movie has not changed a bit.

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #21,473 of 24,615
The thing is that the bar is set pretty high for the genre so something with plot holes is going to really be a poke in the eye.

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #21,475 of 24,615
Just out of curiosity what's yall's home AV setup(pics welcome) like?

Mine is 55in LG OLED that does Dolby Vision HDR10 in more truer sense with the black/white contrast. JBL LSR for 2 channel sound which is good enough, but no surround. I love my TV! Deep blacks which I really appreciate. Netflix UHD looks nice. I think blue rays are better for 1080p or 4k, but not much out there in terms of real 4K content. Hopefully, 70mm films gets converted to 4K.

Planet Earth 2 is my reference 4K content on UHD blueray.

Was Batman vs Superman true 4K?

Yes, not only am I a audio Natzi, am also a visual Natzi as well.:k701smile:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #21,476 of 24,615
Philips 55pos9002 OLED. No speakers have neighbours usually run the Focal Elears. Worthy successor to plasma technologue.

4K bluray tend to look better more about the colours then the resolution. The resolution is not noticed nearly as much. netflix use of HDR for their own matgerial is good for demonstration but a bit over the top often I feel.
Watching bluray movies after the 4K version they often appear black and white lol but with the upsampling surprisingly sharp. I sit 1 metre away from my 55". I wish I went for a larger tv but cost and lacking space make it less practical.

In the future I am looking for a higher res vr headset then the oled will likely only see console usage.

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #21,479 of 24,615
Philips 55pos9002 OLED. No speakers have neighbours usually run the Focal Elears. Worthy successor to plasma technologue.

4K bluray tend to look better more about the colours then the resolution. The resolution is not noticed nearly as much. netflix use of HDR for their own matgerial is good for demonstration but a bit over the top often I feel.
Watching bluray movies after the 4K version they often appear black and white lol but with the upsampling surprisingly sharp. I sit 1 metre away from my 55". I wish I went for a larger tv but cost and lacking space make it less practical.

In the future I am looking for a higher res vr headset then the oled will likely only see console usage.
I would have gone for a large tv as well for same reason, space and being able to move the tv out of convenience, 55in seemed perfectly fine.

I'm also waiting for vr headsets to get to the point of high resolvability to match high resolution tv, but I haven't really tried the better vr headsets. Hopefully for convenience sake, vr headsets can provide a top cinema experience. Just like headphones are convenient.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back