Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 9, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #19,501 of 24,651

Suicide Squad is DC, not Marvel. Just goes to show how interchangeable these movies are becoming I guess.

I know. I wanted to say that every Marvel movie gets positive reviews from critics and high ratings while every DC movie lately gets bashed as something horrible. The biggest difference I see is that DC movies are more old-school and conservative ( which critics don't like) while Marvel movies are better fit into modern social politics ( which critics love).

The Wrap even made a big header for an article that Suicide Squad is the Donald Trump of superhero movies.

Media coverage is more interesting than comics movies themselves.

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #19,502 of 24,651
Interesting that Trump's fundraiser is one of the producers. I can hardly wait for his next book "Using Hollywoods formula to get to the White House".

They should just have ballot boxes in every lobby at SS screenings with assistants dressed as Harley to fill Trump in on the ballots so that all the 2nd percentile IQ viewers can vote him right in on the spot.

The sooner he gets into office the sooner they'll all be living in caves with no power for Hollywood to make more subdreckian stuporhero films at all.

Have at it I say.

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #19,503 of 24,651

I know. I wanted to say that every Marvel movie gets positive reviews from critics and high ratings while every DC movie lately gets bashed as something horrible. The biggest difference I see is that DC movies are more old-school and conservative ( which critics don't like) while Marvel movies are better fit into modern social politics ( which critics love).

Ah OK, got ya. That does seem to be the trend yeah, I've noticed that too; Marvel are just everlasting flavour of the month with critics it seems. They're all much of a muchness to me. I'm with Alan Moore on this one: give me the actual comic books over film adaptations any day - comic books are a legit medium in their own right and aren't crying out to be remade as films.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #19,505 of 24,651
Drive (2011) -  9/10 

Just watched this again after seeing it in the movies when it first came out years ago and boy was I hit with some instant nostalgia. I remember that night like it was yesterday, we were leaving the theater as the sky outside  looked like it was on fire with a mix of fiery orange and red, while driving with my best friend down empty winding roads with only the whisper of the cool evening breeze and the sound of the engine while the song " a real human being... and a real hero...", echoed in our minds, not saying a single word the whole ride back home. 

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #19,506 of 24,651

The Hudsucker Proxy - 6/10

Screwball comedy from the Coens, that has their influences writ large. It's well-crafted, very slick (maybe a little too slick) and all in all an entertaining watch with lots of Coens trademarks - the dream sequence, the super-stylized cinematography and fast pacing. Robbins is fine as the klutz made good but Newman isn't at his best and I found Jennifer Jason Leigh's fast-talking journo shtick almost unbearably irritating.

On my Coens comedy scale, this comes above Burn After Reading but below the recent Hail Caesar! and well below the holy trinity of The Big Lebowski, Barton Fink and O Brother. Preston Sturges is an obvious point of reference, but it's also reminiscent of Landis's 80s classic Trading Places. A diverting watch but slightly disappointing, like a partially risen souffle.

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #19,507 of 24,651

William Powell & Myrna Loy made 14 movies together namely The Thin Man series.  They had incredible chemistry together on the screen.  This is a funny movie with impeccable timing between the three main actors, the third one being Frank McHugh one of the all time best character actor/ comedian.

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #19,508 of 24,651
Suicide Squad (2016)   Off Scale Low /10

First of let me just briefly explain my stance on the whole comic book thing. Marvel and DC both share equal blame for the corruption of the medium (Give me The Haunted Tank anyday over any of their stuff) for their endless aping of one another. They got a human torch we need a burning man, they got a Thing we got a Croc, they got a witch, we got a witch, they got Thor, chripes they can have im we dont need one. OK there is the argument that it mirrored cold war parity but that's a real stretch to explain what is darn near serial plagarism on both parties sides. They diluted the medium into cotton candy not really worthy of reading. The only one to get the superhero genre right and make it literature was Watchmen.

Thus endeth that rant. Now on to Suicide Squad, wherein DC me toos itself into a ludicrous clone of Avengers Mark I ( a ridiculous enough film in it's own right) and makes things even worse. Like that clone IE800 on Alibaba the look is there the guts are missing, well not missing but really really messed up. This is what happens when you let a tracer obsessed hack with only one decent writing credit too his name and a pp record directing loose in the superhero arena. Ayers might be able to hold it together for a 3 minute music video but for one second longer he's just a liability to film if not the human race itself. Make no mistake here, this film is first and foremost a Wil Smith Margot Robbie (Well Margot Robbies rear actually) vehicle. Smith is Smith and Robbie does nowhere as good a Harley as any of the animations did. She cannot hold the voice and is relying on the eyecandy factor to carry her through. Leto's Joker works really well here for the brief time he's on screen. Everyone else is doing a walk on. Katana?????????? thrown in why, just because, is Ayres dating her? Is she from Toronto? Daddy was a financer? Makes no sense to have her there.

Warning Might be Spoilers in here, I am just not sure if there are of if in fact you can spoil something strung together like plate of spaghettini spilled on a freshly waxed floor.

Which of course is the whole point. Nothing in this film makes sense. Why they strung it together with characters no one knows about (and worse luck few who do know dont care about) is mystifying. Where Avengers built on characters already well established in the film world Squad has none other than Batman (don't give me any grief here but that is Asspik's standin filling out the suit for the 15 seconds)and the Joker. So you have a bunch of baddies we see briefly and hear about and boom next thing you know and with no further ado we are going to send them into combat. Kay, no meet and greet just out of your cell and here's the mission thank you very much.This follows well with the theme of the film as really why tell them anything when obviously they had not yet conceived the plot. I have this mental image of Ayers showing up on set Monday with a mescaline hangover busily typing dialogue on his iPad with the drug addled conviction that "If I just write enough witty lines, a plot will emerge"  Problem there is he is not a wit and the lines are just regurgitation of things we have all heard elsewhere. This movie flows along as if it were random snippets taken from the stars social media accounts and strung together then filmed. By the time some story has actually emerged half the film has gone by and you sit scratching your head thinking ok why did we not start here? At this point the film takes a little time out to showcase Robbies rear in case you missed the first 800 shots of it, oh and to fill in a little more of the backstory on The Human Torch and offer some really deep intellectual views on being a bad guy. No reason for it other than to stall the plot which was just basically exposed for the first time. Ayers here obviously saw his big error in almost becoming coherent so threw this scene in to right the course of the film back into complete chaos. So eventually you get to the big save the world send Loki packing, oops sorry Witch or whatever in this one packing which actually contains a few tiny morsels of intrigue which leave you scratching your head wondering why just why did they (he really, no mistake here the fingerprints are all over the rotoscope this is Ayers mess entirely) not explore those points of interest earlier on, say at the beginning of the film where it would have built story rather than winding up as non sequitur bites in what was supposed to be a climax (which isn't because you have seen it before in Avengers I, you just don't get Thor with this one, which is a blessing).

All in all with all the major inconsistencies and complete lack of plotting, structure acting, directing and oddly cut hip retro music clips this thing leaves you feeling like somebody dosed your drink in a bar where everyone was 10 years younger than you and sat you in the corner. Flashes of action, Flashing lights ,flashes of  dialogue and music and a hot rear flashing by every couple of minutes, but you have no clue really what the devil is going on.

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #19,509 of 24,651
Saved me a few hours wasted, thanks.
Maybe they should have had Darkseid show up in the first 10 minutes and Omega beam them all out of existence, then proceed with a proper Kirby-esque New Gods series.
Would be preferrable whatever they do to use relative unknown actors, show less overt actions and effects and leave more to the imagination.

Time to cue up Quatermass and the Pit.

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #19,510 of 24,651
  Suicide Squad (2016)   Off Scale Low /10

First of let me just briefly explain my stance on the whole comic book thing. Marvel and DC both share equal blame for the corruption of the medium (Give me The Haunted Tank anyday over any of their stuff) for their endless aping of one another. They got a human torch we need a burning man, they got a Thing we got a Croc, they got a witch, we got a witch, they got Thor, chripes they can have im we dont need one. OK there is the argument that it mirrored cold war parity but that's a real stretch to explain what is darn near serial plagarism on both parties sides. They diluted the medium into cotton candy not really worthy of reading. The only one to get the superhero genre right and make it literature was Watchmen.

That's probably because Snyder stuck slavishly to the source material. Watchmen was almost a frame for frame reconstruction of Moore's books. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that it's the best adaptation from the medium to date, but the fact it is so faithful to the comic books begs the question Moore consistently poses - what's the point? Personally, I quite like having one of my favourite comic book series in animated form as an alternative, but I do get where he's coming from. As for Marvel, you didn't rate the first Iron Man movie? Of all the stuff they've churned out, I still rate that highest - mainly for RDJ's eccentric take on Tony Stark, which has become played out now after three IM films and numerous cameos, but seemed fresh when the first film came out.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #19,511 of 24,651

That's probably because Snyder stuck slavishly to the source material. Watchmen was almost a frame for frame reconstruction of Moore's books. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that it's the best adaptation from the medium to date, but the fact it is so faithful to the comic books begs the question Moore consistently poses - what's the point? Personally, I quite like having one of my favourite comic book series in animated form as an alternative, but I do get where he's coming from. As for Marvel, you didn't rate the first Iron Man movie? Of all the stuff they've churned out, I still rate that highest - mainly for RDJ's eccentric take on Tony Stark, which has become played out now after three IM films and numerous cameos, but seemed fresh when the first film came out.

I thought they were going places with Iron Man I. While the ending really did not do it for me, up until then the characterizations were working quite well and I thought that perhaps they would take on a new direction in the further films with the eccentric techno genius making a stance. Of course they played it for gags from then on and worked more to fit Stark's character into Avengers than anything else. When you are constantly setting up for the next hundred films, it would seem your current characterizations take a back seat.Stark could well have brought the Wired and Linux crowd into the theatres, sadly the opportunity was thrown out with the was and geeks everywhere lost the chance for an Idol:)

Then of course you have "The Keep" where the author considers the graphic novelization as THE visual version rather than the Michael Mann film:)

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #19,512 of 24,651
Truth Or Dare - 5/10

One review title on IMDb made me laugh - "original storyline". Couldn't be further from the truth. The storyline is 100% unoriginal, and I should probably rate this lower but films like this are something of a guilty pleasure for me. It's your typical bunch-of-annoying-kids-in-a-cabin-in-the-woods-being-menaced-by-a-psycho flick; the kind that probably shouldn't be being made in the wake of The Cabin In The Woods, and yet which is, sorry to say, still par for the course for modern British horror / suspense.

One Point O - 6/10

Nature Fresh Milk! Oddball dystopian sci-fi set in a non-specific near future. It's all Kafkaesque paranoia, fish eye lenses, low angles and flickering lights in dark corridors - aesthetically, very steampunk. Something like a mashup of BrazilPi and Soylent Green with a peppering of David Lynch. All big influences on the makers of One Point O I would hazard a guess, and that does show through. Without giving anything away, the film focuses on a coder, a contractor who works remotely from his apartment, and who starts receiving mysterious packages. His quest to solve the riddle of the packages brings him into contact with the other occupants of the crumbling edifice he inhabits, who all turn out to be pretty strange.

It's probably an allegory for the growing isolation and commodification of modern urban living, especially apartment living, but it still functions as an entertaining sci-fi / mystery, if your idea of entertainment is rampant paranoia and claustrophobic weirdness. It's a slightly patchy effort - the plot feels threadbare and the reveal, when it comes, is a bit clownish, like an expository custard pie in the face - but overall, I kinda liked it.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #19,513 of 24,651
Scary enough. For a moment I thougt you were reviewing the Madonna film.
eek.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #19,514 of 24,651

Ginger Snaps - 7/10

Wow, pleasantly surprised by this one! I must admit, I was expecting some kind of Twilight-esque nonsense but far from it. This is a throwback to the good ol' days of horror: gory practical effects, deliciously distasteful B-movie carnage! American Werewolf meets Heavenly Creatures in a blender! It's not without its faults - the "coming of age" allegory is about as subtle as a bucket of blood and the third act falls back slightly into genre cliche having done a good job of avoiding it up until that point - but it's better than your average teen-wolf flick.

Katharine Isabelle has serious scream queen credentials too - I first came across her in an episode of The X-Files, then again in the excellent American Mary (highly recommend that one, by the way) but looking at her profile on IMDb, she'd done a ton of stuff, even before Ginger Snaps. Two severed thumbs up for this little diamond in the rough.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #19,515 of 24,651
Reservoir Dogs on Ice... I mean The Hateful 8: 7/10

It had it's moments, but not much more. I'm a big Tarantino fan (watched Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs many, many times) but I can't say this one took the cake for me.

It's a slow burner for sure, but it doesn't have the epic scale of classic slow burn Japanese films (which by modern movie pace would seem glacial), thus negating the purpose of the slow burn. There was tension there, but considering all of the characters are pretty terrible people it's hard to sympathize. With that being said, I found it to be a good romp, good and bad.
The star power in this movie is amazing, but man, it's really flippin' hard to make a movie that exploits all of the best that those actors have to offer in one script. See Inglorious Basterds for how you write a script for slightly less than a handful of "interesting" characters.

I would put this movie slightly above Death Proof. A good watch, and I would watch it again, but it simply doesn't rank.

Ex Machina: 9/10

It answers the important philosophical questions while leaving the technical questions on the floor... which was probably appropriate for this movie. It's really a fantasy movie of a "what if" rather than a proper Sci-Fi movie. Regardless of that, the characters and acting are first rate and the cinematography is wonderful. I would watch this again.

Captain America: Civil War: 4/10

The movie attempted to overextend itself to make it seem bigger than it actually is.This movie isn't worth watching unless you have a comfortable sofa to fall asleep on in the middle of the movie. The theater seat was too uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back