Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 4, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #18,782 of 24,690
A danish girl 10/10

Should won best picture of the movies nominated I seen so far. (I have not seen Room or Carol) Alicia Vikander should get the oscar for best female actress not just supporting role. And yeah wouldnt mind getting it the oscar for best male performance either. If there where no politics involved he would have got it I am sure.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #18,783 of 24,690
Deadpool - 4/5

I was surprised, I really enjoyed it.  In fact, I think you would have to be pretty up-tight not to.  It was comical, and fun.  Yes, it was juvenile humour, and a lot of violence...but you expect that going in, and you'll have a good time.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #18,784 of 24,690
Deadpool - 4/5

I was surprised, I really enjoyed it.  In fact, I think you would have to be pretty up-tight not to.  It was comical, and fun.  Yes, it was juvenile humour, and a lot of violence...but you expect that going in, and you'll have a good time.

"Deadpool" is a film that boldly mocks at all the superhero flicks, and beneath all that rebellion, hinges on to the same approach as superhero films rely on, in order to make a thrilling and pop culture hit. Exploitation by any other name is just that.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #18,785 of 24,690
"Deadpool" is a film that boldly mocks at all the superhero flicks, and beneath all that rebellion, hinges on to the same approach as superhero films rely on, in order to make a thrilling and pop culture hit. Exploitation by any other name is just that.

Perfect summary. For all the contra glitz, it still follows the same generic formula. Exploitation, or parody of a parody?

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #18,789 of 24,690
Cycle (2012)  Animated Mocap Hungarian/English.  8.5/10

Wow. Dark Dark Scifier that borrows from some of the greats for inspiration. Comes across at times like gameplay but does not treat the viewer like an imbecile as some do. Nightmarish sequences as we follow a protagonist in his search for a solution to a largely undefined problem. I could have lived with a lot less use of the wobblycam but overall this one has texture and mood the like of which we have not seen since Ridley Scott was in his prime 3 decades ago.

If you are not into Scifi at all you probably will want to avoid this one. If you are a scifier you will want to own it.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #18,790 of 24,690
Rate The Last Movie You Watched, as long as it's Deadpool.

Lol, that's what it was like with star wars too. It's more like rate the last movie you watched, as long as it is the current blockbuster on the big screen. Lol, WraithApe you cracking me up man!

The conjuring 8/10. Pretty great movie for a horror film. Of course, as a regular movie it is more like a 6/10 but I scale horror on an inflated scale cuz they usually suck so bad I feel for them:)

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #18,791 of 24,690
Watched Black Mass and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. on my flight to Thailand last night. Both were positive suprises, as neither seemed very interesting based on their trailers. 6/10 for BM and 7/10 for The Man.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #18,792 of 24,690
Man in the Wilderness (1971)       7/10

After Revenant I felt like I owed it to myself to finally see this one. Not a Richard Harris fan at the best of times, but he makes do with a limited amount of dialogue here. The film hurts from being overlong as its remake does but really does a much better job of highlighting the survival portion of the exercise. The hokey 70's soundtrack is a killer here. It is real easy to see how different this film would have played with a better score.  Same with the ending. It's 70's kitch at its worst and thankfully is not drawn out so you don't hurt for long here.
 This is at times a somewhat surreal treatment and I can see why it did not do overly well in theatres. I does not find its core and tries to be too many things at once. A better editor and a firmer director would have turned this into a spectacular show given the ingredients at their disposal. Still very much worth a watch.

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #18,793 of 24,690
Tastes. Some people are not uptight and just want to see a fun movie once in a while.

Whoa, I was not trying to offend (though upon re-reading I can see it came across that way). I was thinking of all the "ubersuperhero" movies that have gotten rave reviews, typically because reviewers expect the general public to like them.

I like a good, fun action movie myself. If you look at my reviews, I rate many "fun" movies that are not "uptight" very high - just because they were fun! Doesn't make them good movies though...and I can admit that.

Whoops, I'm sorry. Thought you were some kind of elitist. :frowning2:

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #18,794 of 24,690
The Big Short - 8.5/10

A film based on true story that is delivered in a sort-of different way. It also managed to explain vague and dubious economic b*llsh*t terms in a 'fun' way. Wanted to give it a 9 but ultimately I just don't think it is 'sublime'.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #18,795 of 24,690
The conjuring 8/10. Pretty great movie for a horror film. Of course, as a regular movie it is more like a 6/10 but I scale horror on an inflated scale cuz they usually suck so bad I feel for them:)

"for a horror film"... smh
rolleyes.gif
. 5/10 for me as a horror film, but then I don't have a separate scale for horror, if anything I'm inclined to upvote it slightly compared with other genres. Solid, well-made, mainstream horror but pretty darned derivative and the paranormal investigative angle was hokey as hell. I would say I saw a dozen better films at FrightFest 2013 where this film had its UK premiere (well technically it was screened before the festival as a thank you for folks who spent hours queueing for tickets, but that's splitting hairs!). That wasn't even a strong year for FF either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back