Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 22, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #18,331 of 24,645
There should be no spoiler embargo beside the first lines as you can see those without entering the thread. Anybody who hasn´t seen it must expect spoilers. I will see it tomorrow then I will be more active watching this thread again. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #18,333 of 24,645

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but most people I know consider the 2nd film (Empire) to be the best star wars film ever. 

You're reading that right. We just know different people. :)

The point I was trying to make was that Star Wars reached icon status upon release. Hard act to follow no matter what. It was not something that it reached over time.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #18,334 of 24,645
There should be no spoiler embargo beside the first lines as you can see those without entering the thread. Anybody who hasn´t seen it must expect spoilers. I will see it tomorrow then I will be more active watching this thread again. 

You are talking about the first few lines of a post, right?

You kind of have a way of coming across a bit confrontational. Maybe I am just reading into it,but maybe not. Something to be careful of anyway.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #18,335 of 24,645

No. I agree with you. Looking back the only films I am having a good time with are Foreign of late. That makes me feel I should give you guys a break and stop watching HWood films for a long time.

There is suspension of disbelief and then there is treating the audience like idiots. Hwood seems to have confused the two in the last little while.

I am sure a lot of die hard Tarantino fans will like 8, but it just doesnt live up to the films (Dogs , Fiction) that it tried so hard to ape.

I'm a fan of Tarantino's films, but I have to admit the trailers for "8" haven't done much for me. Given the running time I'll probably wait until it's on bluray unless I just get an itch in the meantime.

I personally don't mind negative reviews, assuming they're sincere...which I've always gotten the impression yours are. Some post negative feedback for the attention (just as some reviewers strategically become the contrarian in order to get clicks), and that's when I start to get annoyed. I don't really get that impression from the regulars in this forum, though...thankfully.

So....crap on, brother! (hehe)

Thanks. Yeah, the run time is a frightener and pretty un necessary when you watch it and see what he does with it in the last couple of acts. Same formula, wrong ingredients. I kind of hope a fan edit will show up with the supercilious stuff removed, that would be interesting.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #18,336 of 24,645
I was on a film bender last night. Started with Cloverfield, then did Revenant then Hateful Eight. I thought those three were easily better than Star Wars. And I did grow up watching all the first ones in a theater. I'm 40.

Star Wars made me roll my eyes constantly. Cloverfield was good. Revenant was good, and Tom Hardy can be one hell of an actor. Hateful Eight had a good story going then BLAM to the nuts. Good ending too.

I'm not too critical, I just want to be sucked in, and stay there and those three movies did that to me much more than Star Wars.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #18,337 of 24,645

Yeah, except for the part where 

He ditches them when they get to the inn, to find a ride to the end of the galaxy. He changes his mind, obviously. However, his intentions were pretty clear from the beginning that all he wanted was a pilot, then a way to run as far from the order as he could. He changes his mind for obvious reasons...

...a heck of a lot like the beloved Han Solo. I'm really having trouble understanding the vitriol here. 

A New Hope was the exact same thing. I think a lot of people are trying to rate VII through the lens of the original trilogy that had decades to marinate in the minds of, and be romanticized by, the original viewers. 

I've already gone into why Han Solo is a more substantial character than Finn, and the example you gave trying show me how they're similar doesn't change that.  A New Hope was the exact same thing, you say?  You're damn right it was, and that's the problem with the movie.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #18,338 of 24,645
Thanks. Yeah, the run time is a frightener and pretty un necessary when you watch it and see what he does with it in the last couple of acts. Same formula, wrong ingredients. I kind of hope a fan edit will show up with the supercilious stuff removed, that would be interesting.

Maybe I'll just watch Pulp Fiction instead...lol One of my top 10 films of all-time and no matter how many times I see it, it always feels fresh to me. And most times I even notice a new detail that I hadn't seen before.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #18,339 of 24,645

Deja Vu - 5/10

It would be nice to be able to recommend a lesser-known European thriller / horror from the late 80s but sadly this isn't the one. The director, Goran Markovic, shows some visual flare at times but the film ultimately boils down to an undifferentiated mass of genre tropes with more than a passing nod to Hitchcock et al. Rarely have I seen a film take so long to reach its denouement - it felt like it was literally dragging itself across the screen for the most part. Other than the last half hour, it's not really a horror either; inappropriately ominous score aside, you'd be forgiven for thinking this was a Yugoslavian remake of Lolita with a bit of politics thrown in. Some points for cinematography, period accuracy and set pieces, but it's not a film that will live long in the memory.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #18,340 of 24,645

Maybe I'll just watch Pulp Fiction instead...lol One of my top 10 films of all-time and no matter how many times I see it, it always feels fresh to me. And most times I even notice a new detail that I hadn't seen before.

That was back when Quenton understood well juxtaposing nuance with brutality. Awesome film. He should re watch that himself some day:wink:

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #18,341 of 24,645
That was back when Quenton understood well juxtaposing nuance with brutality. Awesome film. He should re watch that himself some day:wink:

Juxtaposing nuance with brutality...wow, that's maybe the best description I've ever heard...well done!

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #18,342 of 24,645
  I've already gone into why Han Solo is a more substantial character than Finn, and the example you gave trying show me how they're similar doesn't change that.  A New Hope was the exact same thing, you say?  You're damn right it was, and that's the problem with the movie.

Ok, let me try to understand. Han Solo is a more substantial character because of his history as a smuggler, the Millenium Falcon, and Chewbacca, right?

Finn is a stormtrooper who defected. Let that sink in. 

The above statement has repercussions throughout the film, and is a subject previously never even considered in the previous storylines. A stormtrooper was usually a mindless soldier who couldn't hit the side of a barn with an RPG. Here, they become living, breathing souls with minds of their own.

Yes, a lot of the scenes were similar, and I don't think that was a mistake. JJ Abrams set up the film as both homage to the earlier ones, and as a bridge to an infinite future. The final scene alone has implications that could span the next few decades of Star Wars fans. There are so many questions left to be answered, so many plot lines to explore, and a literal universe of possibilities.

I didn't grow up watching Star Wars. My friends and I binge-watched the entire series in the nights before the premiere, and TFA feels like a natural progression of things. I have no clue what kind of character development is to be expected in the events occurring in the few days the movie took place, but what I saw was enough to convince me that it's more than worth following. Especially if they keep up the awesome cinematography and action scenes.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #18,343 of 24,645
Heart of the Sea - 6/10  
Did I rate this one here yet? Not sure. Didn't like this one much either. One I wish I had skipped.

Guys. I'm really trying, Honest. This one I cannot go further than a 5 on. It's a pretty ambiguous sea tale that conjectures to much in ways Opie can only do. In other words it tries too much to be a feel good movie. The subject matter does not lend itself to that.

BTW anyone chime in please but I thought a large part of the ho hum feeling on my part was really poor CGI which lent to the whole ambiguity of the experience.

Re watch Perfect Storm, Master and Commander or They Were Expendable for a better experience.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #18,344 of 24,645
The Good Dinosaur 5/10

Disney submits another variation of Homeward Bound. A few brilliant moments marred by a plodding pace. Felt the movie would be a lot better if the star of the show is the boy instead.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #18,345 of 24,645

Ok, let me try to understand. Han Solo is a more substantial character because of his history as a smuggler, the Millenium Falcon, and Chewbacca, right?

Finn is a stormtrooper who defected. Let that sink in. 

The above statement has repercussions throughout the film, and is a subject previously never even considered in the previous storylines. A stormtrooper was usually a mindless soldier who couldn't hit the side of a barn with an RPG. Here, they become living, breathing souls with minds of their own.

Yes, a lot of the scenes were similar, and I don't think that was a mistake. JJ Abrams set up the film as both homage to the earlier ones, and as a bridge to an infinite future. The final scene alone has implications that could span the next few decades of Star Wars fans. There are so many questions left to be answered, so many plot lines to explore, and a literal universe of possibilities.

I didn't grow up watching Star Wars. My friends and I binge-watched the entire series in the nights before the premiere, and TFA feels like a natural progression of things. I have no clue what kind of character development is to be expected in the events occurring in the few days the movie took place, but what I saw was enough to convince me that it's more than worth following. Especially if they keep up the awesome cinematography and action scenes.

I'm simply saying there's much more to Han Solo's character than Finn's.  It didn't take 3 movies to figure that out, and it's got nothing to do with seeing this film through the prism of the original trilogy.  If that were true, I wouldn't care about any of the characters in the new film.  Perhaps character depth would have been a better term to use than character development.  I understand you're a Star Wars fanboy/girl and that's fine, but your characterization of the importance of this movie and where it might lead to is massively over the top. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back