Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 22, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #17,956 of 24,647
into thin air I have seen. the videos don´t play maybe you need to register?

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #17,957 of 24,647
St. Vincent [8.4/10]: I enjoyed this movie a good deal. This is not the genre of movie that I typically watch, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I'm on vacation and I watched it with a good friend that I have always enjoyed discussing movies with, so that may have influenced my feelings about the movie a bit. I have liked Bill Murray since the mixed reviews he received after his first appearances on Saturday Night Live. I think that he is getting better, as an actor, as he gets older. Maybe it has more to do with the complexity of the roles available to him as he gets older. He was superb. The story itself was a bit of a template, but Bill Murray's performance made the movie well worth seeing. I loved the end credits with Murray doing mundane, funny Bill Murray things as Bob Dylan's "Shelter From The Storm" accompanied his antics.

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #17,959 of 24,647
  Still, all said and done "Touching the Void" is probably the all time best film on surviving a mountaineering disaster easily 10/10 .

Set in the Andes, it is quite literally unbelievable and mesmerizing.

Yes touching the  void was absolutely freaking amazing

It's that you mentioned it and that I was in need of something solid to watch. Just finished the DVD. Strong, strooong documentary or whatever you like to call it. Those outright nightmarish, completely desperate scenes are somehow so frikkin recognizable. You can feel and understand what he's going through from the moment he falls in to the dark crevasse or hearing water run underneath from the glacier and not able to find any. Just wow.

It's very well done. Both story and beautifully shot too.

I also remember the book making an indelible impact. Recommended!

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #17,960 of 24,647

It's that you mentioned it and that I was in need of something solid to watch. Just finished the DVD. Strong, strooong documentary or whatever you like to call it. Those outright nightmarish, completely desperate scenes are somehow so frikkin recognizable. You can feel and understand what he's going through from the moment he falls in to the dark crevasse or hearing water run underneath from the glacier and not able to find any. Just wow.

It's very well done. Both story and beautifully shot too.

I also remember the book making an indelible impact. Recommended!

It is one of the very few films that actually scared me. They did a magnificent job of putting you right into the scenario.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #17,961 of 24,647
Inside Out: 10/10

This is the best pixar movie made to date. PERIOD. Just go and watch it.

The movie explain our brain and emotions very well done and makes sense. The characters are fantastically written, especially happiness and sadness. This film makes you at first kinda hate sadness and thinks happiness is the one who doing things the right way, but then happiness realised that without sadness Riley cannot express and cry, which makes her depressed. This is just awesome because it's a great way to give us the message 'It's ok to cry'. Also this movie has a well made soundtrack and superb animation.

Now stop making Cars sequel.

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #17,963 of 24,647
"Mad Max: Fury Road" [6.3/10]: Eh, watched the movie on vacation at a friend's house. I enjoyed the social aspect of watching it with a group of people in a venue where lots of googling could appropriately be done and comments appropriately made. There was a lot of interesting trivia about the film shared, and comparisons to the originals discussed. However, the film itself was, at best, a mediocre revival of the Mad Max "franchise" which I never fully appreciated anyway. However, with the possible exception of the apocalyptic supermodel harem, the mobile apocalyptic industrial-rock band that accompanied the villain, and the more or less constant apocalyptic vehicle crashes and stunts, I wasn't impressed with the film. However, I had an apocalyptically good time.

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #17,964 of 24,647
Battleground - 10/10

One of the best WWII movies there is. I've now seen it 3 times. Hard to believe it was made in 1949!

BTW too bad there is nothing good at the theaters right now. Just stuff with too much violence or blood/gore. Surprised nobody saw "Black Mass".
Was tempted to see A walk in the Woods for a 6th time but I think i'll pass. "Everest" isn't worth a second viewing and it's Imax 3D only right now.
A walk in the woods was empty the last 5 times I saw it at 9:50pm. Wonder why they keep playing it?!

Can't wait to see "The Martian". I think i'll skip reading my book of it until I see the movie.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #17,965 of 24,647
The plot is that the guy kills his wife gets put in jail and goes crazy in jail creating an alternate reality in his mind about a new life.
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/lost-highway-1997

Roger Ebert didn't get Lost Hwy either in 1997. I will not get into the reason why. Spoiler explains plot in a sentence. The plot that both Roger Ebert nor I could not figure out for the life of us. Once you get clued in though, Lynch's movie makes for a complete package of a story with few loose ends.

9-10

David Lynch has decided to make his thriller into a giant riddle that only a few could have the genius to figure out. Either you know what the movie is about or you are totally lost.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #17,966 of 24,647
I think that movie would get better if you knew what it was about :)

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #17,967 of 24,647
I think that movie would get better if you knew what it was about :)

Well, I didn't know the plot for years, until I found out my buddy was a huge David Lynch fan and told me. The ahaa moment passed. I watched the movie again with very few questions. I assume Robert Blake is in his mind and
the killer?

Still I liked the movie better when it was all a mysterious riddle. Some believe it is our job to love stuff despite the quality?

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #17,968 of 24,647
The Visit (2015)  4/10

M Night Shabadoo, tries a new spin on both found footage and Hansel and Gretel, and get's it all wrong. If it were the first film of the genre it would have been entertaining. Unfortunately it isn't and when you boldly go where everyone and their cat has been before you need to really step it up to make the audience notice.

I think that's 3 strikes for Mr M now, isn't it?

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #17,969 of 24,647

The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were great ......1999-2000.:sob:

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #17,970 of 24,647
Anything M Night Sham I will not see. I agree that 6th sense and unbreakable were good. saw the village and signs which were okay. Didn't see lady in the water or the happening. What really broke the camel's back was the Last Airbender. Bad acting. Bad storytelling. Bad sound (in our theater). Ruined a great source material. Boycott!!! No after earth. No devil. No the visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back