Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #16,081 of 24,653
The Trip to Italy (2014): 8/10

What it lacks in freshness (it is a sequel after all, and one that follows almost exactly the formula of the first film) it makes up for with everything else that made the first film so great, and then some. One of the year's finest comedies, and a good character study, to boot. For those who thought the first film was perhaps too unfocused, this one seems a bit more scripted, which is mostly a blessing, though it stumbles a bit more than I'd like it to.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #16,082 of 24,653
Imaginary Landscapes (1989) - 7,5

Rare documentary about Brian Eno, prominent figure in the history of electronic ambient music. Eno was one of the greatest pioneers of the genre during the 70s; his work was crucial to bring the forefront soundscapes to the ears of the general public. Today he is a multifaceted artist working in several fields of multimedia and audiovisual expression. In this 1989 documentary, Eno dissertates about his work and his vision of the world; about what inspires and disturbs him. His words are interesting and, sometimes, even fascinating to hear. And his beautiful musical creations illustrate the points of his abstract speech - from this dynamic emerges the real experience of the film. In my opinion, Imaginary Landscapes could be restricted only to the audio because the main focus is not what is seen but what is heard. It's in the dynamics between Eno's words and his sonic landscapes that lies the essence of this documentary. For lack of a better word, Imaginary Landscapes seems to be a remotely successful attempt to illustrate the interior and creative world of Brian Eno. The picture is a secondary factor dangling between casual formality and decorative artifice. My general impression of audiovisual works whose focus lie in the sound, is that the image does not seem to support the 'action' as well as the sound does the vice versa. Therefore, the image is disposable, especially when it contributes little to no substance to enrich the work. Instead, we ought to close our eyes and let the soundscapes fill in our visual imaginations for a more pleasurable and eloquent experience. This isn't necessarily the absolute case with this documentary. That shall be decided by each one's subjective judgement; for me, the image has scarce redeeming qualities to justify its presence. It's an interesting aesthetic exploration that may please many other viewers, nonetheless. Quite honestly, this 'stoned' style of documentary has been very much in vogue, and it quickly leaves me jaded if not perfectly executed. Imaginary Landscapes was directed by Duncan Ward and Gabriella Cardazzo. Ambient music lovers will find in this film a beautiful and eloquent soundscape that can be appreciated with closed eyes to almost full extent. Recommended!

((((For some reason, the text editor is completely blank and gives me no option to format my text... not sure if there has been any change to it. If anyone can help or clarify I would appreciate))))

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #16,083 of 24,653
Imaginary Landscapes (1989) - 7,5

Rare documentary about Brian Eno, prominent figure in the history of electronic ambient music. Eno was one of the greatest pioneers of the genre during the 70s; his work was crucial to bring the forefront soundscapes to the ears of the general public. Today he is a multifaceted artist working in several fields of multimedia and audiovisual expression. In this 1989 documentary, Eno dissertates about his work and his vision of the world; about what inspires and disturbs him. His words are interesting and, sometimes, even fascinating to hear. And his beautiful musical creations illustrate the points of his abstract speech - from this dynamic emerges the real experience of the film. In my opinion, Imaginary Landscapes could be restricted only to the audio because the main focus is not what is seen but what is heard. It's in the dynamics between Eno's words and his sonic landscapes that lies the essence of this documentary. For lack of a better word, Imaginary Landscapes seems to be a remotely successful attempt to illustrate the interior and creative world of Brian Eno. The picture is a secondary factor dangling between casual formality and decorative artifice. My general impression of audiovisual works whose focus lie in the sound, is that the image does not seem to support the 'action' as well as the sound does the vice versa. Therefore, the image is disposable, especially when it contributes little to no substance to enrich the work. Instead, we ought to close our eyes and let the soundscapes fill in our visual imaginations for a more pleasurable and eloquent experience. This isn't necessarily the absolute case with this documentary. That shall be decided by each one's subjective judgement; for me, the image has scarce redeeming qualities to justify its presence. It's an interesting aesthetic exploration that may please many other viewers, nonetheless. Quite honestly, this 'stoned' style of documentary has been very much in vogue, and it quickly leaves me jaded if not perfectly executed. Imaginary Landscapes was directed by Duncan Ward and Gabriella Cardazzo. Ambient music lovers will find in this film a beautiful and eloquent soundscape that can be appreciated with closed eyes to almost full extent. Recommended!

((((For some reason, the text editor is completely blank and gives me no option to format my text... not sure if there has been any change to it. If anyone can help or clarify I would appreciate))))

oooh sounds good 

Watched Kanabis Kid on Net Flix it wasn't to bad... I dunno kinda felt a little "Wolf on Wall Street" ish to me, with all the partying and what not. Although it was technically a "back ground" movie for me, as I was grinding away on my favorite MMO as I watched up, how ever the latter I can do with my eye shut so 

still if u've got Net Flix, and your into the whole "behind the drug scene" thing, it's worth the time I though 7.1/10

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #16,084 of 24,653
In a Better World (2010): 6/10

"The lives of two Danish families cross each other, and an extraordinary but risky friendship comes into bud. But loneliness, frailty and sorrow lie in wait." 
It was okay, suffered from corny, stereotypical romance subplot that you don't care about.  Cool theme about revenge and forgiveness.

Really want to try Last Days in Vietnam.  Seems like it'd be a nice departure from what the average documentary covers.

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #16,087 of 24,653
  Was really intrigued by the premise of this one, and it ended up being a very interesting film. It's deliberately paced, so if you don't have patience for that sort of thing, you may want to pass it by. 

"Ida" - 8.5/10

Hm. I was a bit struggling while watching this film because the story and characters left me cold. I see a lot of positive reviews about it on English language film sites. I wish my favorite contemporary Russian art-house films received such an attention.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #16,088 of 24,653
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D Bluray 8.5/10

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #16,090 of 24,653
Godzilla (2014): 7.5/10

I'm actually surprised by the humans cannot control nature theme on this summer blockbuster. Sadly, the build up is not that great and made me kind of bored. Not the best film, but certainly great.

And the final battle is just EXTREME

The Wind Rises: 9.1/10

Hayo Miyazaki is RETIRING?! NOOOO

Anyways, The Wind Rises succeed to tell the story of Jiro HoriKoshi's flying passion, and the terrors of what flying gave to us: to kill more people. It is entertaining, beautiful and greatly acted. So long Miyazaki.

Schindler List: 9.8/10

MY GOD THIS IS TERRIFYING. LIAM NEELSON IS AWESOME. VERY BEAUTIFULLY SHOT. SO MUCH EMOTION...

The Faults in Our stars: 9.5/10

The Faults in Our Stars exceeds by giving us the most entertaining love story, and also the nastiness of cancer at the same time. A bittersweet film. 

EXTRA CONTENT!!!!

Godzilla (1998): 1/10

That's a lot of ****.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #16,091 of 24,653

The Wind Rises: 9.1/10

Hayo Miyazaki is RETIRING?! NOOOO

Anyways, The Wind Rises succeed to tell the story of Jiro HoriKoshi's flying passion, and the terrors of what flying gave to us: to kill more people. It is entertaining, beautiful and greatly acted. So long Miyazaki.

Jeeze that movie took for EVER to get released outside of freaking theaters... glad it's finally out

any whos

watched

Cheech n Chong Up in Smoke 10/10

Brilliant is all I have to say

Blood Sport 6/10

It was kinda interesting, but for a kung fu Flick is was too slow, to many slow motion shots and "soft" hits. I mean Compared to The Legend of Drunken Master, this movie was like mollasses rolling down the side of maple tree in the dead of winter 

very meh, still enjoyable though 

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #16,092 of 24,653
Blood Sport 6/10

It was kinda interesting, but for a kung fu Flick is was too slow, to many slow motion shots and "soft" hits. I mean Compared to The Legend of Drunken Master, this movie was like mollasses rolling down the side of maple tree in the dead of winter 

very meh, still enjoyable though 

This hurts my heart lol. 7/10 for Jackson alone.

But I don't think I'd categorize it as a Kung Fu flick.

Glad more people are seeing it though. My friend just watched it last week. I don't have a good rational reason for it, but my gut tells me it's required viewing as a sort of culmination of 80's American martial arts flicks where the martial arts are seen less as a tool and take center stage and a precursor to the early 90's JCVD/Seagal wave.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #16,093 of 24,653

Welcome to the Punch: 8/10. 

This is a cop movie done right, absolutely recommended if you are in for an action movie that has a plot instead of just guns and explosions.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #16,095 of 24,653
This hurts my heart lol. 7/10 for Jackson alone.

But I don't think I'd categorize it as a Kung Fu flick.

Glad more people are seeing it though. My friend just watched it last week. I don't have a good rational reason for it, but my gut tells me it's required viewing as a sort of culmination of 80's American martial arts flicks where the martial arts are seen less as a tool and take center stage and a precursor to the early 90's JCVD/Seagal wave.

Jackson, who dat? 

Watching The latest Miyazaki Film [The plane one]

it's pretty great, kinda waiting for something bad to happen again 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Quiz
Back