Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #16,036 of 24,669
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987): 8/10

A Thanksgiving classic, and a damn fine road-trip comedy. Aspects of it haven't aged well (lord, that soundtrack), but it otherwise holds up exceedingly well.

The Europa Report (2013): 7/10

Honestly closer to a five or a six, but I like the idea of it so much that I can't help but kick the score up a bit. I do think that more traditional directing would have helped out, as well as more mystery, but for what it is, it's not too shabby.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #16,037 of 24,669
Taken (2008) - 7/10

Damn Good old school action movie, I only rate it 7/10 because there are movies like the Bourne trilogy out there, which I would give 10/10 (the Bourne trilogy, not Taken).

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #16,038 of 24,669
22 Jump Street: 

9.5/10

I didn't think this would top off the previous 21st Jump street movie, but it somehow pulled it off. This one is a lot funnier, better written and a lot more fun to watch.

Transformers 4:

6.5/10

They could've made this movie better. Its getting a lot of bad reviews which is a shame since they seem to have spent a crap load of money on it judging by those cars (Pagani Huayra!!, Veyron SS, C7R Corvette, 2015 Z28 Camaro etc)

Lucy 

9/10

Its a Scarlett Johansson movie with Morgan Freeman, what'd you expect? 

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #16,039 of 24,669
Sin City 2: A movie to die trying to escape from. |0| / 10

Obviously experimental film making here. The experiment being "How can one make a film, in which Eva Green is Nude for 50% of the screen time,  unappealing?" Answered in spades with moronic plotting and acting so dismally bad It will make you think Battlefield Earth should have gotten a best picture Oscar.
If you set a thousand monkeys at typewriters you'd get this script or arguably something better in 15 minutes flat. If you gave them cameras and put a directors hat on one you'd get a better film by far.

To steal a quote from Elmore Leonard "I've seen better film on teeth"

No one associated with this thing should ever be allowed to work again. I'll go one better, the ushers in theatres screening this should be summarily fired and sent to pump gas in Siberia just for being accomplices to draining viewers IQ's.

There should be a Surgeon Generals warning with this one. It will damage your mental health, probably lead to the onset of dimentia and most likely result in a break up or divorce for those foolish enough to inflict it on their significant others.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #16,040 of 24,669
This is a film I meant to see a long time ago but just never did. I saw that it hit Netlix streaming, so this was finally the right time to get it done. The reviews on this film were mixed, but I disagree with much of the criticism. Mainly critics felt it was too surfacy and didn't delve much into the more negative and controversial aspects of Chaplin's life. I disagree, though. Obviously this is a very complex man who came from very difficult circumstances, and I don't see how you could possibly make a biopic WITHOUT spending most of your time on the surface. You're just not going to capture the essence of any one period in this man's life, or any one particular aspect of his character, in a two hour film. I felt the way Attenborough handled the source material was just fine, and I found the entire 2+ hours extremely interesting. I regret that I haven't given Charlie Chaplin more of an audience over the years than I have, so perhaps this will be the springboard. 

"Chaplin" (1992) - 8.6/10

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #16,041 of 24,669
Just watched Lucy. Lots of fun and high octane energy. Sort of a Lawnmower Man for a new century!  It's also got a great car chase scene - a proper Luc Besson special!  Probably not the strongest movie out there these days but it is entertaining and a lot of fun.... I'd give it 8/10

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #16,042 of 24,669
Last week I had a strange urge to watch a bunch of prohibition films full of A-body Fords and fedora wearing gangsters.  I feel like I'm forgetting one but oh well. 

Miller's Crossing: 8.7452/10
I don't think a Coen Brothers film exists that I wouldn't enjoy.  Great atmosphere and costume design, dialogue was great and they managed to make one scene go on 10x longer than any other movie could without me noticing it in a bad way.  

Lawless: 4.2001/10
Didn't really care about any of the characters The graphic violence and worse that happens to them pretty much did nothing for me but provide shock value.  The love subplots seemed way too cliche and stereotypical as did the bad guy extras have terrible aim.  The last scene had me laughing it was so terrible.

Road to Perdition: 5/10
It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the silly dialogue between the kid and his father and the super cliche "teaching him how to drive" scene as well as the horribly flawed plot and ultra predictable climax.  

Once Upon a Time in America: 7.5/10
I really really really wish I could watch the 4 hour 29 min version of this rather than the 3 hour 45 min version.  Amazing story telling and transitions done without becoming confusing or feeling excessive.  This movie also by far had the best art direction and immersion.  It doesn't glamorize anything and you hate most of the characters (all most too much).  It absolutely suffered from the cuts to make it shorter, there are a couple of scenes that seem way out of place and don't provide any insight as to how or why the characters got to where they are (the union part had zero explanation and seemed pushed in my face).  had they cut the last 1 and a half to 2 minutes of this film, I'd love it a lot more - Making us ask ourselves "was the whole thing just a drug induced dream?" and then making us think what was in the future and past seemed un-needed and actually made me a little upset for an hour after I watched it.  I really do think it's something special looking back at it now.

EDIT: Also have to say that I think this has one of the coolest posters ever 
biggrin.gif
 Please tell me if I'm doing it wrong.  I have no idea how to rate movies either.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #16,043 of 24,669
  Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987): 8/10

A Thanksgiving classic, and a damn fine road-trip comedy. Aspects of it haven't aged well (lord, that soundtrack), but it otherwise holds up exceedingly well.

The Europa Report (2013): 7/10

Honestly closer to a five or a six, but I like the idea of it so much that I can't help but kick the score up a bit. I do think that more traditional directing would have helped out, as well as more mystery, but for what it is, it's not too shabby.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, one of my favorite holiday classic. Still get some laughs, John Candy is hilarious.

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #16,044 of 24,669
Man of Steel (2013): 5/10

Do you like explosions? Incoherent storytelling? Boring villains? Piles of cliches? Then boy, have I got the movie for you.

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #16,050 of 24,669
I, Frankenstein (2014): 1/10

Save yourself one and a half hour of your life and don't watch this. Except, if you want to know how a movie with a script written by a high school student produced with hollywood budget, this is a movie for you. I mean, seriously, I've watched a plethora of low-budget movies that are much better written than this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back