Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 4, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #15,991 of 24,643
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 3/10.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 4/10.

That's what I get for watching these tiring and ubiquitous superhero blockbusters.

Her - 6.5/10. I actually didn't mind this. I think I liked the cinematography more than the movie though.
Grand Budapest Hotel - 7/10. I usually don't go for quirky but this was a charming movie.
Locke - 6/10. If you can deal with watching a movie about a guy driving around in a car having phone conversations it might be worth your time. Funnily enough I wasn't bored.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #15,992 of 24,643
That would be interesting movie to show the aboriginal story. It certainly ain´t pretty how they been and how they are treated in their home land.

Yet if I check a 100 best Australian movies I see all but any movie about that. I suppose it´s a touchy subject and in Australia they have not made up with their past as much as in the US?

I tend to think reconciliation is not a national priority. From what I can gather the native numbers are not high enough to sustain a concerted effort to to turn things around like the Americans were able achieve. When I say American I mean specifically African American because it's quite obvious that as in Australia, the natives of America are not as able to accomplish with African Americans did, ie world wide influence.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #15,993 of 24,643
Disconnect 8/10

Really nice and time flew watching it. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #15,994 of 24,643
Under the Skin ( 2014) 8/10

"Haunting!" @ bla-bla-bla

You can see this word ( haunting!) every time when a slow paced artsy indie claustrophobic dark psychological moody stylistic film is described. Yeah, it is haunting and Scarlett Johansson is a pleasure to watch. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #15,995 of 24,643
  Under the Skin ( 2014) 8/10

Yeah, it is haunting and Scarlett Johansson is a pleasure to watch. 

Stating the obvious lol.

Hard movie to rate for me. It was awful before the twist was revealed then it got interesting. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #15,996 of 24,643
  Stating the obvious lol.

Hard movie to rate for me. It was awful before the twist was revealed then it got interesting. 

I read the book and while the film only uses it as a basic outline it at least makes viewing a little more comprehensible. I would recommend the read first just for that reason.

An yes it has Scarlett in the buff for those who would watch for no other reason.

I think this film will be very underrated for a few years and then reach it's stride among the scifi community. Have to hand it to both director and actor for taking the chance on getting this one made.

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #15,997 of 24,643
Guardians of the Galaxy ( 2014) 8.5/10

I found this film surprisingly good despite knowing about high ratings. I don't care about comics and go watch them for visual effects and entertainment and when I leave cinema hall I immediately forget that I've watched anything. I actually didn't feel that it was comics enterprise. The movie was almost free ( due to satirical and comical elements) from trendy social awareness and moral pathos which I find inappropriate for this genre IMO. And that helped to concentrate and improvise on action as in old days.

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #15,998 of 24,643
A  Most Wanted Man - 8/10

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #15,999 of 24,643
Guardians of the Galaxy ( 2014) 8.5/10

I found this film surprisingly good despite knowing about high ratings. I don't care about comics and go watch them for visual effects and entertainment and when I leave cinema hall I immediately forget that I've watched anything. I actually didn't feel that it was comics enterprise. The movie was almost free ( due to satirical and comical elements) from trendy social awareness and moral pathos which I find inappropriate for this genre IMO. And that helped to concentrate and improvise on action as in old days.

I gave Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) a 9/10 from the strong finish from mid-movie to the end of the movie. Some of the shots at other comic and visual shots at certain video game genres leading to the "Marvel completeness" was pretty cliche, but the storyline stayed blazing on track.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #16,000 of 24,643
Rust and Bone.

Kind of disappointed in this one. I really liked a Prophet.
Okay not more 6/10.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #16,002 of 24,643
Nebraska 7/10.

I really didn´t care for the black and white. Yes I know they want to show boredom and depression but it got way to much. I just don´t see how it made the movie any better. 
I don´t mind it overall though. The Phantom got ruined when they went with colours afterall lol

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #16,003 of 24,643
I guess I'll preface this by saying that I can see people absolutely hating this film. That being said, although after about 15 min I did say to myself, "certainly there has to be more to it than THIS", after about another ten mins I was fully invested. This is minimalist cinema, but it's a testament to just how brilliant Tom Hardy is as an actor. I don't know how many actors could have pulled this off to the degree of sucess that he did, but no matter...the guy very gradually sucks you deeper and deeper into his character's predicament and by the end of it (before the end, actually) you really feel like you not only know this person, but you sincerely care about the outcome of his ordeal. Loved this movie. 

"Locke" - 8.9/10

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #16,004 of 24,643
I was going to give it a 4. Terrific concept for a sci fi film destroyed by trying to be a sci fi film and an action film at the same time. Morgan Freeman is wasted here, he could have mailed his lines in. Scarlett is just the Scarlett of late, deadpan. The film comes of like it was shot by 10 different second unit directors and hastily put together by Besson for dumping into the summer marketplace. I think he actually needs to be sleeping with his lead's to get his motivation going. Either that or he's contracted Ridley Scott Syndrome.

That's where you wake up one day and completely forget everything you ever knew about film making and start cobbling together scenes from old films with new faces and pass it off as a Movie.:wink:

A laugh and a sigh all at once.

I guess I'll preface this by saying that I can see people absolutely hating this film. That being said, although after about 15 min I did say to myself, "certainly there has to be more to it than THIS", after about another ten mins I was fully invested. This is minimalist cinema, but it's a testament to just how brilliant Tom Hardy is as an actor. I don't know how many actors could have pulled this off to the degree of sucess that he did, but no matter...the guy very gradually sucks you deeper and deeper into his character's predicament and by the end of it (before the end, actually) you really feel like you not only know this person, but you sincerely care about the outcome of his ordeal. Loved this movie. 

"Locke" - 8.9/10

Am I looking at Phone Booth but with someone you're supposed to like at the end with this one? The one trailer I saw did nothing for me. It felt really forced.

metalsonata thanks for the feedback about Die Hard. Sorry for the delay. I feel like they were just trying to add a few jumping off points for comedy and giving you more reason to root for John. I agree with you though, it could have been cut down now that you mention it.

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #16,005 of 24,643
Guardians of the Galaxy in Dolby Atmos.
Friggin' awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back