Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 26, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #15,961 of 24,634
In my opinion, Raising Arizona is a more of a solid 7.  Classic, quality movie.  Even quotable.  

Almost in the same league as Blues Brothers.  Which I'll give an 8.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #15,963 of 24,634
The amazing spiderman 2  -  7/10  (Not so amazing, miss the old spidey)

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #15,964 of 24,634
A Most Wanted Man (2014): 8/10

Another Dark European Thriller from director and photographer Anton Corbijn, who expands upon the style and mood of his criminally underrated 2010 film The American. As if the gravity of its post-9/11 story were not heavy enough, it's also one of the last films we're going to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in on the big screen. It's not a showy role, or a unique one (melancholic alcoholic intelligence officer), but Hoffman's performance is typically strong, and the rest of the cast are no slouches, either. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #15,965 of 24,634
The great Budapest hotel. No rating as I won´t finish it. 

Just to nonsensical. Good actors can´t save it. But then I haven´t really liked any of Wes earlier movies that much.

What I don´t understand is why he is constantly messing with the AR? Troll?

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #15,967 of 24,634
  The great Budapest hotel. No rating as I won´t finish it. 

Just to nonsensical. Good actors can´t save it. But then I haven´t really liked any of Wes earlier movies that much.

What I don´t understand is why he is constantly messing with the AR? Troll?

Yeah, I struggle with his films, as well. His style just takes me out of the game. I know other people love it, though, so I just chalk it up as a personal taste thing. 

Today I saw "Love Child", the HBO documentary. Usually I find the HBO offerings to be above average-to-excellent. This one just fell flat. It's a very sad story, but as a film it just doesn't work at all. This should be left to a short segment on 60 minutes or something like that. I was bored to tears and it doesn't really offer anything new or original in terms of perspective. I give it about a 5.5/10

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #15,968 of 24,634
Non-stop

Another Liam Neeson kick ass movie. Quite good though the whodunnit resolution was as non believable as you would expect but don´t hurt the movie much.

7/10. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #15,969 of 24,634

Yeah, I struggle with his films, as well. His style just takes me out of the game. I know other people love it, though, so I just chalk it up as a personal taste thing. 

Today I saw "Love Child", the HBO documentary. Usually I find the HBO offerings to be above average-to-excellent. This one just fell flat. It's a very sad story, but as a film it just doesn't work at all. This should be left to a short segment on 60 minutes or something like that. I was bored to tears and it doesn't really offer anything new or original in terms of perspective. I give it about a 5.5/10

If you (or anyone else out there) are HBO movie fans. I cannot recommend the poorly named "Doomsday Gun" enough. Had it ever been released in theatres I'm certain it would have been nominated for awards for it's screenwriting.
The dialogue is excellent. The plot as accurate as can be for squeezing a 10 year time period into the time allotted.
Frank Langella, Kevin Spacey and Alan Arkin in a smart Thriller based on actual events. Will give you a little bit of a presage to what is now going on in the mess known as Iraq.
For any fans of hardcore espionage genre (LeCarre, Deighton's Harry Palmer films) this will be a great little ride. For anyone interested in current events from the last 20 years this may give cause to raise eyebrows.
Done well and without the pretentious hollywood knows best nonesense that colours some films that take on the subject.
Dear god it even manages to get a decent performance out of Tony Goldwyn, and THAT ain't easy:wink:

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #15,970 of 24,634

If you (or anyone else out there) are HBO movie fans. I cannot recommend the poorly named "Doomsday Gun" enough. Had it ever been released in theatres I'm certain it would have been nominated for awards for it's screenwriting.
The dialogue is excellent. The plot as accurate as can be for squeezing a 10 year time period into the time allotted.
Frank Langella, Kevin Spacey and Alan Arkin in a smart Thriller based on actual events. Will give you a little bit of a presage to what is now going on in the mess known as Iraq.
For any fans of hardcore espionage genre (LeCarre, Deighton's Harry Palmer films) this will be a great little ride. For anyone interested in current events from the last 20 years this may give cause to raise eyebrows.
Done well and without the pretentious hollywood knows best nonesense that colours some films that take on the subject.
Dear god it even manages to get a decent performance out of Tony Goldwyn, and THAT ain't easy:wink:

Wow, I thought I was relatively familiar with much of the HBO documentary offerings but that's one I haven't heard of. Thanks!

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #15,971 of 24,634

Wow, I thought I was relatively familiar with much of the HBO documentary offerings but that's one I haven't heard of. Thanks!

This ones not a Docu. It's a dramatization and a very well done one.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #15,972 of 24,634

This ones not a Docu. It's a dramatization and a very well done one.

oh okay, I misread that...cool, I love the cast...will def check it out

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #15,973 of 24,634
Pandora's Box (1929) - 8

German silent classic directed by Georg Whilhelm Plabst. The libertine and naïve spirit of seductive Lulu is a potentially fatal trap to any man or woman who crosses paths with the young dancer. Seemingly unaware of the consequences of her actions, Lulu drifts at the mercy of events in a melodramatic adventure marked by strong sexuality and deviltry. Lulu's treacherous spell will be her doom; she will fall into misery and despair, and will meet a tragic fate at the hands of Jack the Ripper. Lulu personifies the Greek myth of Pandora on which the movie is thematically based. Pandora's Box is notable for lifting Louise Brooks into stardom, and for, presumably, being the first movie in the history of cinema to deal with the lesbian theme. This is a must-see for fans of Louise Brooks, fans of silent cinema and to whomever wants to see how homosexuality was treated on the screen in a period where it was still a taboo subject. The ludicrous pathos lends a funnier quality to the movie than it is supposed to be, but this doesn't hinder the cinematic experience. Wonderful cinematography and camera work. Supremely fun and naughty movie. Recommended.

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #15,974 of 24,634
Sharknado 2 - 5/10 (9/10 if you're completely wasted while watching it)
Gather some friends (possibly the type that don't take stuff like this too seriously), get wasted and enjoy it. It could have been a lot more ridiculous and to be honest I think the first one was much better but it's hard to beat that exploding pool and some very very strong scenes from the first movie. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #15,975 of 24,634
Noah - 1 out of 10

Special effects were bad, plot was abysmal, absolutely no correlation to historical accounts unless you take into account the names of the people and places, and even there I think they got a few wrong.  I would go so far as to say that it is utter garbage except some of the action scenes were good.  

In my opinion, the movie was made to un-educate people who don't know better, and I hate movies with political/social agendas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back