Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #14,597 of 24,680
One of the WORST sci-fi movies I have ever seen - this movie would make Ray Harryhausen puke.

Even for 1960 SF, this was a stink bomb. The premise is that a US Air Force test pilot from 1960 is sucked into a wormhole and comes back to Earth 64 years in the future - where a plague has rendered the majority of the Earth's population sterile. One of the exceptions to the sterility is the hot granddaughter of the ruler of the city. Gee - where do you think this story goes from here?? :p The granddaughter is also a deaf-mute telepath - how's that for acting! :rolleyes:

0 stars, unless you really like Schlock SF with a capital S

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #14,598 of 24,680
Catching Fire  4.5/10
It was just too long with out much happening.  The first hour and 10 minutes is BOOORING

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #14,599 of 24,680
Not up there with The Philadelphia Experiment.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #14,600 of 24,680
This one tries MUCH harder than the first one (which I loved), but most of the time it succeeds in entertaining. There were also a few times when I laughed hysterically, particularly toward the beginning at some of Brick's lines. Loved all the cameos!

"Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues" - 8.8/10

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #14,601 of 24,680

I felt that this one was possibly one of the best movies there is about slavery ever made. Felt very realistic and didn't try and tone down much to make it easier to watch.
Can't believe it took this long for the man's story to be made into a movie.

If this one got a 7, i'd hate to see what other movies about slavery would get
biggrin.gif
So far I've only seen a few and many of them are somewhat sugar-coated.

I actually had a tougher time sitting through 12 Years compared to "Come and See".

IMO the best thing about 12 years is the acting, especially from the smaller roles.

In my opinion Django Unchained is superior to 12 Years a Slave in many ways and in acting too. 12 Years is a more narrow approach which deliberately has an agenda to shock viewers. If you look at previous Steve McQueen's films Hunger and Shame you will notice that he chooses extreme themes.

Here is how his film Hunger is beginning:

Davey Gillen, a new IRA prisoner arrives; he is categorised as a "non-conforming prisoner" for his refusal to wear the prison uniform. He is sent to his cell naked with only a blanket. His cellmate, Gerry, has smeared the walls with feces from floor to ceiling. The two men get to know each other and we see them living within the cell. Gerry's girlfriend sneaks a radio in by wrapping it and keeping it in her vagina.

Prison officers forcibly and violently remove the prisoners from their cells and beat them before pinning them down to cut their long hair and beards, grown as part of a no wash protest. The prisoners resist, Sands spitting into Lohan's face, who responds by punching him in the face and then swings again, only to miss and punch the wall, causing his knuckles to bleed.

P.S. Italian posters of 12 Years which were removed:

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #14,603 of 24,680
The Hobbit 2

I'm divided.
The movie's not boring, atleast I didn't look at my watch too many times. I can see PJ taking a LOTR approach, parallel events taking place and the story switching accordingly.
The extension of the story can be seen as a a value add to the cinema experience.
On the other hand, I can see it takes quite a few liberties with the story, and stretches it thin to make it work as a prequel. Some of it is plain nonsense.
For instance the tombs of the Nazgul. What? They were buried and somehow brought back to life? I thought they didn't have physical bodies?

The good thing is, the book will always be there for anyone to read the story in its pure and unadultrated form, so nothing's being lost in that respect.

7.5/10

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #14,604 of 24,680
Oh, and I got to watch the Robocop and Amazing Spiderman 2 Trailers:

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #14,605 of 24,680
  Oh, and I got to watch the Robocop and Amazing Spiderman 2 Trailers:

Still haven't seen the first Amazing Spiderman. Robocop 2014 looks TERRIBLE. Don't even get me started about that remake. I'm a huge fan of the original, and I don't need to go on another angry triad about the remake.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #14,606 of 24,680
Samurai III: Duel on Ganryu Island (1956): 7/10

A fine concluding chapter to the trilogy--a little predictable and a little sappy, but what do you expect? It ends on an incredibly high note, with the final duel scene being perhaps the most gorgeous sequence in the entire series, which is saying something. (And how difficult it must have been to film!) This may also be the oldest film I've seen that features lens-flare--let me know if you guys can think of anything older that does. When it's all said and done, there are better samurai movies out there, especially from the same time period that this came out, but this trilogy is still a lot fun--recommended both for fans of the genre and for newcomers to it. 

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #14,608 of 24,680
Wolf of Wall Street - 4.5/10

Basically trash. Three hours of non-stop swearing, people getting high or drunk, prostitutes, strippers and lots of yelling and people acting stupid.
Hard to believe Martin Scorsese made such a film. Should have been rated NC-17.

If you take away all this stuff you don't have much left, if anything.

I actually did like it a bit more than "American Hustle" because it has some comedy, but none of it funny enough to really laugh at.

BTW I liked Jonah Hill in this movie more than DiCaprio! Weird..

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #14,609 of 24,680
Wolf of Wall Street - 4.5/10

Basically trash. Three hours of non-stop swearing, people getting high or drunk, prostitutes, strippers and lots of yelling and people acting stupid.
Hard to believe Martin Scorsese made such a film. Should have been rated NC-17.

If you take away all this stuff you don't have much left, if anything.

I actually did like it a bit more than "American Hustle" because it has some comedy, but none of it funny enough to really laugh at.

BTW I liked Jonah Hill in this movie more than DiCaprio! Weird..

I understand this is your opinion of the movie, but the reviews are generally positive...

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #14,610 of 24,680
If I ever watch a traditional "chick flick", it's because I'm watching with a lady friend and defer to her choice for the night's entertainment. I really don't mind because I love movies, and every once in a while I'm happy to sacrifice my own preferences in order to allow the lady friend to watch something she'll find fun. Well, one film where this never applied was Before Sunrise. It was instantly one of my favorite films of all-time and also one of the greatest vicarious experiences I've ever had with cinema. The writing, acting, casting, and setting all came together in a perfect storm and captivated me from start to finish. Whenever I see it come on cable and happen to catch all or part of it, I"m overwhelmed with an authentic sense of nostalgia that just captivates and trudges up emotions I felt all the way back with my first viewing. 

When I saw Before Sunset, it was amazing to me how that same authenticity existed, but this time instead of the excitement of new love and the adventure of traveling through Europe and immersing yourself head first into the situation, it centered on the "what ifs" and the realities of what had become their lives since their first encounter several years prior. I was very impressed with how easily I could relate to the predicament, almost as if I literally been part of their relationship. It just felt real...and I soaked up every word, every expression, ever non-verbal queue...it was great. 

Well, once again, they're able to pull it off and I'm instantly transported right back into the lives of these two people, again feeling as if this is something I've been a part of all these years. The emotions are once again different, but just as real and visceral as ever....and once again they are perfectly authentic given the state of their relationship and the situation they find themselves in. It's just uncanny how these three films have pulled this off...each film being almost exclusively dialogue-driven. As many movies as I've seen, I can easily place this trilogy into a category all their own, and the more I think about it the more incredible it is to me. 

Each one is basically a 90 minute stretch of these characters' lives....but they're so well-crafted and it's so easy to immerse into this story that it doesn't feel like three 90 minute segments. Somehow you feel as if it's been an ongoing narrative covering the past 18 years, and the emotions you experience in this film are perfectly natural progressions from both prior films. It feels like life, and I don't know how they pulled this off. It feels as if I know these two people...sometimes I like them, other times I'm aggravated by them, but above all else I feel as if I understand them. I find myself caring about them as individuals and their concerns are my concerns. 

These are special movies to me....if this is the end, I'm really going to miss them. 

I can't really give it a rating, cause I don't see them as just movies, as you can probably tell from what I said above (although I would understand if you just skipped over all that nonsense lol)
If you connected with the previous two films, you'll connect with this one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back