Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #14,148 of 24,654
Gravity (2013): 10/10

One of those movies where I'm more than willing to ignore its shortcomings in favor of everything that it does perfectly. This is a technically assured, masterfully directed, well-acted, intense piece of blockbuster entertainment. Those expecting an art film will come out disappointed--this practically oozes Hollywood (the obnoxious score, the unnecessary emotionalism, the thematic heavy-handedness), but, as he did with the third Harry Potter film, Alfonso takes 'sub-par' material and elevates it, transforming it into a powerful experience, while Sandra Bullock's performance does something similar with the script. In lesser hands this film would have been a disaster--as is, it's one of the best films of the year, and has set new high standards for direction and cinematography in a CGI-heavy film. Make sure that you do not miss your chance to see it on the big screen.

Behind the Candelabra (2013): 8/10

The pacing doesn't do the film any favors, but Soderbergh's sure direction and all-around fantastic performances (particularly from the two leads, Michael Douglas and Matt Damon) make this Liberace biopic a film that you should not miss. It's a real shame that this didn't receive a theatrical release. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #14,149 of 24,654

Behind the Candelabra (2013): 8/10

The pacing doesn't do the film any favors, but Soderbergh's sure direction and all-around fantastic performances (particularly from the two leads, Michael Douglas and Matt Damon) make this Liberace biopic a film that you should not miss. It's a real shame that this didn't receive a theatrical release. 

Michael Douglas was far more convincing than I thought he'd be when I first heard about the casting. Also have to give props to Rob Lowe's performance...he was great. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #14,150 of 24,654
This one got relatively poor reviews, but the description seemed interesting to us and we liked the cast, so we gave it a go. It ended up being an enjoyable film albeit a little predictable with some choppy pacing. I liked it for the sci-fi elements and the lady friend got to enjoy the romance. Don't regret seeing it at all, even though it wasn't a great film by any means. 

"Upside Down" - 7.0/10

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #14,151 of 24,654

Michael Douglas was far more convincing than I thought he'd be when I first heard about the casting. Also have to give props to Rob Lowe's performance...he was great. 

Yes, Michael Douglas was *fantastic.* Also, talk about sinking into one's role, I didn't even realize Dan Aykroyd was in the film until the credits began rolling.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #14,152 of 24,654
Sawako Decides - 8.75/10

I've been really enjoying the DVDs from Third Window Films in the UK! Bought a bunch of them from their shop for dirt cheap.
Yuya Ishii is now one of my latest favorite directors. He directed "Mitsuko Delivers" which I loved and then this.

This one was really kind of sad and not as funny, but I really liked most of it. There's a few akward moments in it and what's the deal with people screaming so much in Japanese movies!!!

I like how the director shoots many of his movies in the countryside and focuses on ordinary people and still manages to have them be entertaining.

A lot of the themes in this movie are really foreign to me since I live in the USA and am not Japanese. Learned a few new things.

I've found with most recent Japanese films you can't really go by reviews, especially Rottentomatoes.

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwnJpZtGhYM

Haha, I didn't do a direct link because it has fat older women in their underwear as the screen
biggrin.gif

BTW instead of After Earth you should check out "Another Earth". Loved it and I like the theme song in the trailer (if it's the one i'm thinking of).

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #14,153 of 24,654

I saw this at the IMAX today.  For someone who appreciates sound this film is outstanding. The opening chat between the Astronauts and Houston utilized discrete speakers in the auditorium forward and left and the speakers right and back as the camera focused on the shuttle the sound slowly merged thru the theater. I would say if you can see this in 3D and better yet on an IMAX screen do it.  

The cinematography was superb and never did it feel like I was watching CGI.  The 3D was immersive and effective.  Space debris literally had me ducking.  

I think this is Sandra Bullock's best film to date.  A much more satisfying performance from my perspective than in "The Blind Side."  This film is more grim and serious.  Clooney is believable as the commander. He's warmer and more like able than when I have seen him in past roles. 

The movie works on a number of levels as a drama, thriller, and a contemporary sci-fi. First rate acting and directing. Never a dull moment, the 90 minutes blazed past quickly.   

9.6/10  

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #14,154 of 24,654

I saw this at the IMAX today.  For someone who appreciates sound this film is outstanding. The opening chat between the Astronauts and Houston utilized discrete speakers in the auditorium forward and left and the speakers right and back as the camera focused on the shuttle the sound slowly merged thru the theater. I would say if you can see this in 3D and better yet on an IMAX screen do it.  

The cinematography was superb and never did it feel like I was watching CGI.  The 3D was immersive and effective.  Space debris literally had me ducking.  

I think this is Sandra Bullock's best film to date.  A much more satisfying performance from my perspective than in "The Blind Side."  This film is more grim and serious.  Clooney is believable as the commander. He's warmer and more like able than when I have seen him in past roles. 

The movie works on a number of levels as a drama, thriller, and a contemporary sci-fi. First rate acting and directing. Never a dull moment, the 90 minutes blazed past quickly.   

9.6/10  

... I just saw that and... while it was visually engaging... n i dug the audio intro... I struggled to flat out care about what happend to her... I spent 90 minuetes hoping id give a damn... Thank gawd for...Russian Vodka ;3

The uninteresting un motivated charecter aside... it was very good... n thank gawd for Clooney n Russian Vodka

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #14,156 of 24,654
Also got to see gravity in 3D this weekend and enjoyed it. Those who plan on going to see this movie must see it in 3D, anything less is a waste of time and money. The cinematography is excellent and there were many times where I felt inclined to dodge objects that seem to fly out at you. The storyline is pretty intense, it's almost as if you were in Sandra place in the suit trying to fight for your own survival. 9/10

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #14,157 of 24,654
Just to add some counterpoint--I know a lot of people are saying that you 'must' see Gravity in 3D, and while I haven't seen it in 3D, I can say that I still think it's one of the best films of the year, even in its boring, 2D state. I don't really think 3D adds anything necessary to a film--maybe it adds to the gee-whiz factor, sure, but I still think 3D is more of a novelty than it is a legitimate way to enrich a film-going experience. Not to mention I often just find it distracting (wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time sucks) and ugly looking--you'd better believe I'll be watching the next Hobbit film in good old 2D, after enduring the first one in 3D last year. (And don't even get me started on The Hobbit's higher frame rate...)

So if you're not much of a 3D fan yourself, save yourself some bucks, get the cheaper tickets, and still enjoy a hell of a show. Just my two cents. ^^

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #14,158 of 24,654
  Just to add some counterpoint--I know a lot of people are saying that you 'must' see Gravity in 3D, and while I haven't seen it in 3D, I can say that I still think it's one of the best films of the year, even in its boring, 2D state. I don't really think 3D adds anything necessary to a film--maybe it adds to the gee-whiz factor, sure, but I still think 3D is more of a novelty than it is a legitimate way to enrich a film-going experience. Not to mention I often just find it distracting (wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time sucks) and ugly looking--you'd better believe I'll be watching the next Hobbit film in good old 2D, after enduring the first one in 3D last year. (And don't even get me started on The Hobbit's higher frame rate...)

So if you're not much of a 3D fan yourself, save yourself some bucks, get the cheaper tickets, and still enjoy a hell of a show. Just my two cents. ^^

I feel pretty similarly. Most movies that hit theaters I'll see in 2-D...like you said, most films the extra effects are just a novelty and don't really enhance the film itself. My current opinion is that there is one exception, and that is horror films. I think 3D was tailor made for horror type films. To date, the best implementation of 3D I've experienced was Final Destination 5. That experience convinced that the 3D DOES enhance those films...but still consistent with you point, most people don't go to horror films for the quality of the story...they go because of the experience of being frightened...it's like a movie version of a roller coaster...you go for the thrills. And in that sense, the 3D can take the thrills to another level just as it did for me with FD5. 

I do enjoy 3D at home, but for most movies at the theater it doesn't do much for me. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #14,159 of 24,654

At IMAX a 3D effect is not that strong. In small cinema halls 3D makes kind of a tunnel effect which is a bit straining on eyes but at IMAX it is more natural and you can appreciate panoramic view which is essential for such films like Gravity.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #14,160 of 24,654

At IMAX a 3D effect is not that strong. In small cinema halls 3D makes kind of a tunnel effect which is a bit straining on eyes but at IMAX it is more natural and you can appreciate panoramic view which is essential for such films like Gravity.

Unless I'm not remembering correctly, I saw The Hobbit in 3D on an IMAX screen. And while the 3D wasn't horrible, I still came away feeling like it didn't add anything to the movie. Indeed, at times it was downright distracting--I've never seen a film implement 'objects' in the extreme foreground in a way that feels natural, and The Hobbit was no exception. Obviously, I can't speak for Gravity's quality in 3D on an IMAX screen, but I suspect that I'd come away from the experience feeling much the same. To this date, the only 3D film I've seen in theatres (and it wasn't on an IMAX screen) that I felt might lose some of its impact when seen in 2D was Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams--a documentary, of all things. However, I haven't had an opportunity to rewatch it in 2D yet, so we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back