Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #13,141 of 24,690
The Garden of Sinners (movie series, 2007-2009): 6/10

I've got mixed feelings about these--on one had, they are some of the prettiest and most detailed animated works I've ever seen, complete with great mind-bending action choreography, a decent soundtrack, and chillingly dark, gory mysteries unfolding in each installment. (Well, almost.) On the other hand, they are unrelentingly self-serious, populated almost entirely with either thinly developed or unlikable characters (with maybe one or two notable exceptions), and make the grave mistake of thinking that they are about more than they are actually about. Top it all off with some occasionally lazy writing and way more purposeful obfuscation than an action series like this requires and you're left with something that's sort of a pleasure to behold, but difficult to enjoy, or ultimately care much about. There is some meaty substance here worth digging into (the fifth film's central plot revolving around a magnificently bizarre apartment complex was particularly satisfying for most of its length), and when it pushes into emotional territory without overextending its reach it proves itself capable of some seriously fantastic sequences, but otherwise, fans of pitch-black action/horror and mystery anime are going to probably be the only ones who are going to totally nerd out about this. 

Still, it's worth noting that I'd probably watch it again, and I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if I wound up liking it more the second time around. Recommended--but only to a particular audience and with some heavy reservations. Oh, and if you want a plot summary, here's Wikipedia's take on it for you:

'Mikiya Kokutō becomes intrigued by the mysterious series of violent deaths occurring in his town and Shiki Ryōgi, a beautiful but unsociable girl. As he tries to become closer to Shiki, he realizes that Shiki is connected to the mysterious deaths and that the supernatural forces involved with both could kill him. It is revealed that in Shiki's family, certain members of her family possess two distinct personalities, both aware and conscious of one another, but possessing different qualities. The dual consciousness, and Shiki's upbringing as a demon hunter, has caused her to reject other human beings.'

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #13,142 of 24,690
Anyone here watched Iron Man 3? 
I'm planning to watch it next week.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #13,143 of 24,690
I didn't even know it was coming out so soon! I really liked the first one, so I'll probably catch it in theatres this upcoming weekend. 
Quote:
Anyone here watched Iron Man 3? 
I'm planning to watch it next week.

Hitchcock (2012): 6/10

The great lead performances are enough to make this worth seeing, but everything else about it mostly feels like a wasted opportunity, with most of the film's forward momentum being squandered on subplots instead of letting us actually get to know Hitchcock, or see more of the making of Psycho.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #13,144 of 24,690
Hitchcock (2012): 6/10

The great lead performances are enough to make this worth seeing, but everything else about it mostly feels like a wasted opportunity, with most of the film's forward momentum being squandered on subplots instead of letting us actually get to know Hitchcock, or see more of the making of Psycho.
[/quote]
Perfect review of the movie. I feel that too.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #13,145 of 24,690
"Django Unchained" [4.0/10]: I guess that I just didn't get it. I hated this movie. I only wish that there was a way to get my money back. I don't know what I expected but the story, the "sets," the acting, I disliked it on so many levels that further description seems pointless.

Well, it is a style not for everyone. Believe it or not some people watch QTs movies at face value and don't "get" the humor in them. I know people like that so I totally understand. Do you like any QT movies?

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #13,146 of 24,690
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"Django Unchained" [4.0/10]: I guess that I just didn't get it. I hated this movie. I only wish that there was a way to get my money back. I don't know what I expected but the story, the "sets," the acting, I disliked it on so many levels that further description seems pointless.

How did you feel about the other Tarantino films in comparison.

I am admittedly not a great fan of Tarantino's entire filmography. I loved "Reservoir Dogs," "Pulp Fiction, and "Jackie Brown" and consider them among my all time favorites. I take each film as it comes, I don't have an attitude that because I liked this or that previous film, that I must like all of his films. I seem to have parted ways with him with the "Kill Bill" series, "Grindhouse," "Inglourious Basterds," and obviously "Django Unchained." I recognize that he has a lot of fans, and I certainly don't wish to denigrate the opinion of those people. However, to be told that your opinion is wrong is ridiculous, and I didn't think that that is what this forum is all about. 

I don't usually quote myself but my response to that question is above...

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #13,148 of 24,690
The Guilt Trip (2012) 5.5/10

Babs (Streisand) and Seth Rogen set off on a Mother/Son cross country voyage in a compact car.
Barbara had a better part in Meet the Fockers last time I noticed her and I just can't get with Rogen's always faux brooding character portrayals.
A partial benefit may have you looking at your own Mother relationship...

Certainly do not believe I'm spoiling much by saying my favorite part of the whole endeavor was to see Jeff Kober knock wannabe tough guy Seth flat out cold in a bar fight.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #13,149 of 24,690
Pain & Gain

No question Michael Bay's best movie to date as well as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's best film performance to date. 9.5/10

Great script, hard to believe it's based on a true story. It's bat-$h1t crazy, especially the third act...

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #13,151 of 24,690
Michael Bay actually doing a decent movie? That would be a first :)

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #13,152 of 24,690
Michael Bay actually doing a decent movie? That would be a first :)

I'm not a huge Bay fan, but it's happened in the past. I liked The Rock and Bad Boys. Transformers 3 was entertaining. Pain & Gain is a major step up. It's probably the closest you will ever see to a Tarantino or Cohen Brothers style character driven movie from Michael Bay. It's really that good.

I think it shines because he actually used a lot of restraint compared to his.usual tent pole movies and it doesn't suffer at all from it. There's still tons of low angle slo mo shots and lots of t&a shots (the Romanian girl is stupid hot) but it works perfectly for this story somehow.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #13,153 of 24,690
Quote:
Pain & Gain

No question Michael Bay's best movie to date as well as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's best film performance to date. 9.5/10

Great script, hard to believe it's based on a true story. It's bat-$h1t crazy, especially the third act...

CBS 48 hour mystery Saturday night 4/27/13 Spent one hour on this true story.  Really wierd, brutal, and incompetent bodybuilding criminals. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #13,154 of 24,690
Legend #17 ( 2013)

"Biopic of Russian ice hockey legend Valeri Kharlamov from early childhood, rising to the pinnacle of the sport and his untimely death."

Sponsored by the Russian State this movie is the first in a row of Russian blockbusters in 2013: Legend #17, Gagarin, Stalingrad IMAX 3D. Legend was worth watching: gripping story, great camera work, good actors. I didn't like the ending though when Soviets kicked Canadian's asses which looked cheesy as in many patriotic movies.

May 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #13,155 of 24,690

8.9/10 - Better than the 2nd one by a decent margin, IMO. Really funny dialogue, cool action scenes...didn't realize it is the same director that did Die Hard and Lethal Weapon and you can definitely tell. It's basically an action/comedy.

Only thing, they could have called the movie "Tony Stark 3" because he is only Iron Man in the movie for maybe a total of 25ish minutes. There may have been less Iron Man in this movie than there was Batman in Dark Knight Rises! Climax was impressive, though...

I still enjoyed it a lot. RD Jr. is still awesome and it's a great way to open the Summer movie season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back