Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 8, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #12,571 of 24,686

Stand Up Guys (2012) 6.9/10

Watching the old timers ex-con reunion (think Expendables) has a Blues Brothers feel to it.
Lands somewhere in the middle but still comes off as good to watch.
Another movie where my interest was more drawn to the soundtrack.
In fact,I drove to the local mall and purchased the CD at HMV music just after viewing.
A nice array of rock and soul essentials alongside a number of modern day artists,including two original songs penned for this movie.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #12,572 of 24,686
Robot and Frank 10/10

You need to watch this if you like robots, and want a perspective on how distant we've become from ourselves, how modern technology can lead to a loss of purpose in our lives.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #12,573 of 24,686

Liked this better the 2nd time.   8.9/10

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #12,574 of 24,686
Quote:
Total Recall 9/10

What a surprise thought it was going to be a total bomb as everybody seemed to hate it upon release.
Don´t have much in common with the original but well it´s Total Recall :D

This new film version is much more true to the original P.K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale"; the first movie was more of a "loose adaptation".

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #12,575 of 24,686

The Master - 9/10. First rate acting and cinematography.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #12,576 of 24,686
Someone mentioned David Lynch a few pages back and I have to say that Inland Empire is amazing - I give it 10/10. It resonated with me for some reason - I just found it very, very haunting. I love that guy - he's such a card...he did a little instructional video on how to make quinoa with broccoli and included that as a DVD extra with one of his more recent movies (I think it was Mulholland Drive) and it was very odd, to say the least.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #12,578 of 24,686

good movie - 8/10 - lotsa adrenaline - lotsa knowledge - a very good ride

* just that the Iranian security guards at the end of the movie was not half convincing.. I have had my share of experience at airports in Saudi Arabia with intense checking and hard stares. the nervousness of the situation is not conveyed ..

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #12,579 of 24,686
Attack (1956) - 9/10

Totally underrated war movie. This one I felt would be some cheap 80s WWII movie, but I was surprised it was actually from 1956!
When you're watching it, it feels like "Saving Private Ryan" at times and not like your usual old war film.

It's a mix of one episode of "Band of Brothers" and SPR IMO.

This one is starring Jack Palance, Lee Marvin and a few others. It's also directed by Rober Aldrich who made "The Dirty Dozen".

NOTE: What moron came up with such a lousy title? It's based on a play called "Fragile Fox".

Actually it's also called "Attack!". I guess in the 50s they loved releasing movies with exclamation marks at the end!

BTW this one had some good acting too. Lee Marvin is perfect for WWII movies really. He was also in "The Big Red One".

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #12,580 of 24,686
David Lynch totally needs his own cooking program. I would watch it obsessively. 
Quote:
Someone mentioned David Lynch a few pages back and I have to say that Inland Empire is amazing - I give it 10/10. It resonated with me for some reason - I just found it very, very haunting. I love that guy - he's such a card...he did a little instructional video on how to make quinoa with broccoli and included that as a DVD extra with one of his more recent movies (I think it was Mulholland Drive) and it was very odd, to say the least.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #12,581 of 24,686
Quote:

Stand Up Guys (2012) 6.9/10

Watching the old timers ex-con reunion (think Expendables) has a Blues Brothers feel to it.
Lands somewhere in the middle but still comes off as good to watch.
Another movie where my interest was more drawn to the soundtrack.
In fact,I drove to the local mall and purchased the CD at HMV music just after viewing.
A nice array of rock and soul essentials alongside a number of modern day artists,including two original songs penned for this movie.

Got a chance to also watch Stand Up Guys and enjoyed it. None of the actors had their best performance in this movie but it was a fun movie to watch.

"It's time to kick ass or chew gum, and guess what? I'm all out of gum."

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #12,582 of 24,686
Here's one of those films that really wasn't very successful in terms of critical acclaim, and rightfully so, but that I still got a kick out of. I grew up on 80s films that had pretty cheesy story lines and lousy acting, but also had a good heart and were just kinda fun. That's how I'd categorize this one. I'm not a huge fan of Kevin James, but he gets a laugh out of me from time to time. Selma Hayek looks amazing as always, and it was very cool to see the Fonz is still getting some projects to play around with. Overall, I'm glad I saw it and I did find it entertaining. 

"Here Comes the Boom!" - 7.2/10

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #12,583 of 24,686
I'm breaking the rules a bit here with this one, but I came across this speech of Dr. Benjamin Carson from the Fellowship Foundation's Prayer Breakfast the other day and was totally blown away by it. For those who don't know him, he was the subject of the film "Gifted Hands" starring Cuba Gooding, Jr from 2009. No matter if you lean liberal or conservative, religious or atheist, etc., anyone from the USA should take twenty mins and listen to what this guy says. I'm going to watch the film this evening or some time tomorrow since I didn't get to see the entire thing previously. It's available on Netflix for anyone who is interested. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyyHegP255g

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #12,585 of 24,686
I came across this speech of Dr. Benjamin Carson from the Fellowship Foundation's Prayer Breakfast the other day and was totally blown away by it.

One does need to be in a certain mindset to get through these windy talks.
He reminds me of Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson,yes same one of the meme:

Gave a speech at a science committee last year,no folding under questioning with this guy for sure.
Neil deGrasse Tyson Testifies Before Senate Science Committee, March 7, 2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back