Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #12,196 of 24,645
(Snip....army of darkness vid)

How can one honestly rate this movie? You either love it or hate it....and I love it.

Oh yes. Agreed. I saw that one when it was released in the theater. Seen it at least 10 times.

Evil version of Sheila: You found me beautiful once...
Ash: Honey, you got reeeal ugly! (Ka-boom - blows her away with shotgun)....... :D

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #12,197 of 24,645
Quote:
Oh yes. Agreed. I saw that one when it was released in the theater. Seen it at least 10 times.
Evil version of Sheila: You found me beautiful once...
Ash: Honey, you got reeeal ugly! (Ka-boom - blows her away with shotgun).......
biggrin.gif

Have you played https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/army-of-darkness-defense/id431739110?mt=8 ? It's full of sounds right from the movie...and it's free!

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #12,200 of 24,645
Quote:
Dredd 10/10
By far the most under-rated movie of all time. This movie kicked so much ass on so many levels!!!

Agreed, I was one of the 100 people in America that actually saw that movie in the theater and it's a screw* travesty that movie bombed so bad at the box office...it was fantastic- awesome characters, awesome effects, violent and bloody as hell... and Karl Urban played an amazing Judge Dredd.

You should also check out this Cambodian flick called The Raid: Redemption. It's basically the same premise as Dredd, but on a lower budget. But it has some of the most insane and brutal action sequences I've seen on film EVER. And a 15 minute fight scene that has to be seen to be believed. Get the English dubbed version, the dubbing is over the top and makes it that much more fun!

9.3/10

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #12,201 of 24,645
Happy New Year 2013 Head-Fier's.

Here is a Cineplex experience I haven't enjoyed in years,the VIP Cinema.
- Reserved,luxurious seating
- 19+ Admission in Ontario
- In-seat food and beverage service
- Private licensed lounge
- Specialty food menu

There are only three of these VIP Cinemas in Ontario,the one I went to for Django was in Oakville, about 30 miles away from home.
I have a Scene Cineplex pass that gets you 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages and accrues points towards free movie passes.
Tuesday is $5.00 off all admissions,so I booked for the 12:10pm show today and had a whole row all to myself for $14.25.
Ordered a Starbucks Americano coffee,sweet potato fries and fried dill pickle quarters.
Hit the spot on New Years day,for sure.
Here is a short video review of the VIP:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu_G3C-mT1Q[/VIDEO]

Django Unchained (2012) 7.5/10
Taking points away for the unbalanced music score,rap music and other songs that put things off kilter for me,although it underscored a past vs. present experience.
A long ass movie so you'll want the VIP creature comforts to settle in.
Christopher Waltz,the dentist bounty hunter,really was the glue that held this movie together.
Samuel Jackson ,as the head house valet was next to step up in my estimation.
Leonardo portrayed an adequate sadist.
Jamie Foxx as Django was smooth enough but his characterization could have been stronger.

Typically weird Tarantino theatrics,the music took the wind out of the sails for me but I enjoyed a beer after the movie and all was good.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #12,203 of 24,645

8.5/10 for me, saw it today

I actually loved the soundtrack. It's very eclectic which is indicative of Tarantino's storytelling. I enjoyed it much more than Inglorious Basterds, I thought the pacing was much better and Christopher Waltz was such a lovable character this time around. I agree Jamie Foxx could have possibly had a little more fun "getting paid to kill white folks", but he was still super cool and quietly delivered some great lines. I think his reservation was believable enough though, considering what his character had gone through. Loved the last scene in front of Candie Land.

Samuel Jackson's lines had the whole place cracking up. Perfect mix of comedy, drama, and bloodshed. Best Tarantino flick since Kill Bill Vol. 2 IMO. Easily Tarantino's most beautifully shot film to date too.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #12,204 of 24,645

LOOPER (Blu-Ray) 8/10 

Nice graphics and well acted.  Plenty of plot holes, but moved along fast enough so I never felt the need to think too much about that.  I was a little underwhelmed as I kept expecting a film on the level of "Inception." Watching Joseph Gordon Levitt as a young Bruce Willis was the high point of the movie for me. 

I watched "3rd Rock From the Sun" for years, and its almost hard to believe the goofy kid on that show is now a big time star.   

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #12,205 of 24,645
Quote:
I'll complete this review tonight, but last night I watched the first half of The Bourne Legacy. Jeremy Renner has become one of my favorite actors, and after seeing him on SNL a few weeks back it's pretty clear that this is one very talented guy. I've enjoyed each of the first three Bourne Films and so far this one is living up to my expectations. I love the way they overlap this one with the end of the last film. It's very smart how they transition you from Jason Bourne to Aaron Cross (Renner). Unless the second half of this just fizzles, so far it's a winner, IMO.

The Bourne Legacy - 8.5/10 (through the first half)

Just finished the film and I'm actually going to increase my rating a bit...I thought this movie was solid. I haven't read many of the criticisms of the film, so it'll be interesting to see what aspects people have taken issue with, but my opinion is pretty firm. One of my main concerns going in was that we were going to see Jason Bourne "lite". That's not what it was at all. In fact, one of my favorite aspects of the movie was the fact that Aaron Cross is an entirely different person than Jason Bourne. His personality is different, the way he sees the world is different, what he knows about his background and his purpose are both different, etc. Jason Bourne is sort of taking it all in and functioning on auto-pilot much of the time as he's trying to make sense of what is going on. Aaron Cross has all his ducks in a row, knows the score, and is able to move pieces around like a chess board. One of the best sequences in the film are the scenes between Renner and Rachel Weisz when they are sort of exchanging information. There is even a bit of comic relief thrown in in some of the dialogue that I thought was great. 

In the 2nd half of the film we get more of the Bourne action, but to me the best part of the movie as a whole is how many nuggets we're served up about the history of Treadstone. They sort of mix in the political angle, the personal angle, the patriotic angle, and a few other ingredients and what you get is a really appetizing 2hrs, IMO. Renner is NOT Jason Bourne 2.0....he's Aaron Cross 1.0. I love where they took this movie and I can't wait to see the next one. 

Revised rating: 8.8/10

Finally saw this and I'm in agreement that it's better than a lot of the reviews had led me to believe. My one serious misgiving that I had going in was resolved towards the end, and I could easily see another installment with Renner and Weisz, and I would like to see it. I'll go 7/10.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #12,206 of 24,645
Quote:
Finally saw this and I'm in agreement that it's better than a lot of the reviews had led me to believe. My one serious misgiving that I had going in was resolved towards the end, and I could easily see another installment with Renner and Weisz, and I would like to see it. I'll go 7/10.

Its by no means a bad movie, but it brings nothing new to the Trilogy. The new character (I don't even remember the name) seems to be like a lesser Jason Bourne.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #12,207 of 24,645
House at the End of the Street-2012     3/10     http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582507/

The Fast and Furious (Tokyo Drift) 9/10   Great!

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #12,208 of 24,645
Quote:
Its by no means a bad movie, but it brings nothing new to the Trilogy. The new character (I don't even remember the name) seems to be like a lesser Jason Bourne.

I don't understand that viewpoint...I thought it brought a LOT more information to the table about the origin of Treadstone and the motivation/goals behind it, and set the stage for more of a political/thriller bent for future installments. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #12,209 of 24,645
Quote:

I don't understand that viewpoint...I thought it brought a LOT more information to the table about the origin of Treadstone and the motivation/goals behind it, and set the stage for more of a political/thriller bent for future installments. 

Let me put it this way. In the original trilogy, the viewer is taken through the journey of Jason Bourne. Its his story from start to end, and it culminates in the expose of Treadstone.

The fourth movie might bring a lot more info, as you say, but does it add anything of significance? We know Bourne was an operative under Treadstone. I don't see the reason to know why the programme existed (A programme to make CIA Covert operatives, we all know what that is)  from the point of view of Jason Bourne. Its just making up a backstory for future installments as you say, and clearly has nothing much to do with Bourne, and Aaron Stone, the character, just advances that backstory.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #12,210 of 24,645
Hobbit - 8/10 - Maybe more.
I loved it. Dwarves have always been my favorite in almost every fantasy universe...

I would agree with you. I honestly think i am one of the rare few who enjoyed the Hobbit more than the lord of the rings trilogy and am looking forward to the next two. Frotto was portrayed in an annoying light IMO. Too many dramatic, bewildered gazes into the camera........ I understand im almost entirely alone on that but i did really like what they did with the Hobbit.

Let me put it this way. In the original trilogy, the viewer is taken through the journey of Jason Bourne. Its his story from start to end, and it culminates in the expose of Treadstone.

The fourth movie might bring a lot more info, as you say, but does it add anything of significance? We know Bourne was an operative under Treadstone. I don't see the reason to know why the programme existed (A programme to make CIA Covert operatives, we all know what that is)  from the point of view of Jason Bourne. Its just making up a backstory for future installments as you say, and clearly has nothing much to do with Bourne, and Aaron Stone, the character, just advances that backstory.

I agree with all of you in ways on this one. For instance the 7 of 10 rating is about what i would have given it too. But that is simply compared to the 9/10 average i would have given the other three. Being a huge fan of that series.

Again it was a character portrayal issue for me. Arron Cross is just not as like-able of a hero IMO. And his motives were to get a drug so he did not revert to being a complete moron as he was born was also a bit of a plot killer for me. That being said. Still a fun movie and i would still see the next sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back