Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #12,046 of 24,649
Forgot to mention this one...I was slightly underwhelmed by it, but I thought it was solid overall. The biggest surprise for me was Shia Lebouf....this is a guy I often hack on, and quite frankly I have become pretty annoyed by his presence in most films. That being said, for the first time ever I actually thought he showed range in this. I was impressed with some of the scenes where he was the focus and this is really the first film where I thought he actually added something different than his baseline performance. Overall a solid film, but not one that I thought was as deserving of the praise it's received. 

Lawless - 7.8/10

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #12,047 of 24,649
Best part was Jessica Chastain.

>.>

<.<
Quote:
Forgot to mention this one...I was slightly underwhelmed by it, but I thought it was solid overall. The biggest surprise for me was Shia Lebouf....this is a guy I often hack on, and quite frankly I have become pretty annoyed by his presence in most films. That being said, for the first time ever I actually thought he showed range in this. I was impressed with some of the scenes where he was the focus and this is really the first film where I thought he actually added something different than his baseline performance. Overall a solid film, but not one that I thought was as deserving of the praise it's received. 

Lawless - 7.8/10

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #12,048 of 24,649
Quote:
Best part was Jessica Chastain.

>.>

<.<

Those were....errrrrr, I mean, SHE was very impressive 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #12,049 of 24,649
Quote:
Realistically booring yes. Acting is not awesome. There is no acting. They just show you their poker faces so if you see any acting they fail. Keanu Reeves would have totally owned this movie :D
I agree the movie has a lot of great actors but they don´t get any chance to shine at all. 

Also maybe you have to read the book or seen the previous movies to enjoy it. But it was like watching paint dry and I don´t really have a problem with "slow" movies. But they have to give me something.
Watch the extra material it´s if possible even more non interesting.No extra points for the ridiculous amount of noise they added to it either :)

Its not for everyone. Its very british in terms of the acting, and the theme of espionage is, well, not very action packed, thats why I called it realistic. I watched it without any preconceptions, and was pleasantly amused.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #12,050 of 24,649
Life of Pi 8/10
Visually stunning, yes. Decent acting, yes. Interesting build up and gut wrenching story, yep. I actually didn't enjoy the scenes with Pi trying to appease Richard Parker though, dunno why. Kids seemed to love it though. I liked the theme of acceptance with Pi exploring different religions and spirituality

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #12,052 of 24,649

Quote:

Its not for everyone. Its very british in terms of the acting, and the theme of espionage is, well, not very action packed, thats why I called it realistic. I watched it without any preconceptions, and was pleasantly amused.

I love british acting though. Particularly the humour. I don´t argue it´s realistic but well in this case when there is no intrigue that worked for me it got really booring. But as mentioned I suspect you need to know what it´s all about prior to seeing it.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #12,054 of 24,649
Quote:
Are they still planning on 3 movies with The Hobbit? I've heard where it leaves off and it sounds more like a 2fer.

Yes, 3 movies.....and after watching it yesterday, I had the same thought.....how will there be two more movies?

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #12,055 of 24,649
Quote:
Yes, 3 movies.....and after watching it yesterday, I had the same thought.....how will there be two more movies?

Well, they've planned to use the appendices from the LOTR. I just took a look at the appendices, and there's the timeline after the battle of the five armies, leading upto the the Fellowship of the Ring. I think they'll use that in the last movie.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #12,056 of 24,649
Quote:

Well, they've planned to use the appendices from the LOTR. I just took a look at the appendices, and there's the timeline after the battle of the five armies, leading upto the the Fellowship of the Ring. I think they'll use that in the last movie.

I will say, I was entertained by this first one. I know a couple of book purists who refuse to see it, and I'm sure they would go on a rant if they were to see it, but I do look forward to seeing where they go with it next. I saw the 2D version....my mother and sister both said that they get headaches from 3D, and it was my sister's birthday, so we followed her wishes.  And frankly, I don't want to put 3D "glasses" on over my regular ones....lol

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #12,057 of 24,649
Quote:
I will say, I was entertained by this first one. I know a couple of book purists who refuse to see it, and I'm sure they would go on a rant if they were to see it, but I do look forward to seeing where they go with it next. I saw the 2D version....my mother and sister both said that they get headaches from 3D, and it was my sister's birthday, so we followed her wishes.  And frankly, I don't want to put 3D "glasses" on over my regular ones....lol

I think its good you watched it in the 2D version. The 3D one gave me headaches as well, and I have to put the 3D glasses over my prescription glasses. The HFR ruined it for me in a way, crossing the boundary of what should and shouldn't look real.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #12,058 of 24,649
This was actually their original plan: The Hobbit itself was to only take up two movies, while the third would be a bridge between The Hobbit and LotR. My understanding is that this concept has largely been scrapped and that The Hobbit itself will take up all three movies, with the third movie actually focusing on the Battle of the Five Armies. Which sounds pretty terrible, to me. I don't doubt that some of the appendices will make an appearance--I just know that when they dumped the idea of a trilogy originally and decided to cut it back to just two movies that they did so because they wanted to just do The Hobbit. This was before it became three movies again...
Quote:

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #12,059 of 24,649
Quote:
This was actually their original plan: The Hobbit itself was to only take up two movies, while the third would be a bridge between The Hobbit and LotR. My understanding is that this concept has largely been scrapped and that The Hobbit itself will take up all three movies, with the third movie actually focusing on the Battle of the Five Armies. Which sounds pretty terrible, to me. I don't doubt that some of the appendices will make an appearance--I just know that when they dumped the idea of a trilogy originally and decided to cut it back to just two movies that they did so because they wanted to just do The Hobbit. This was before it became three movies again...

Looks like it from the titles. I wonder how much screen time does one need for a battle. Seems like its going to be draggy.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #12,060 of 24,649
Peter Jackson does a fantastic job with large-scale battles--The Battle of Helm's Deep from The Two Towers is probably still the best on-screen big battle I've ever seen. Even the occasional goofiness and continuity problems don't hold it back, so powerful is its vision and execution. Still--I just don't see a three-hour movie centered entirely around one battle working out that well. Knowing Jackson, I'm sure there will be plenty of other things going on, but that doesn't necessarily stop me from being nervous about the whole thing. Just because Jackson likes to stuff his movies with as much as he can doesn't mean that all the stuffing is stuff actually worth seeing... So yeah. Draggy is the right adjective at the moment, I'd say.
Quote:

Looks like it from the titles. I wonder how much screen time does one need for a battle. Seems like its going to be draggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back