Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 4, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #4,291 of 24,690
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a son about his father - 9/10

Possibly one of the most emotionally moving films I've ever seen.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #4,292 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on it´s not 0/10. What was that bad about it? I would say it´s a 5/10 at least
smily_headphones1.gif

I like western had hoped for more. As for modern western 3:10 to Yuma is better but it´s a remake.

I didn't give it a zero lightly. I saw no redeeming value to it at all. The dialogue was horrible. The story was lame. I feel that it was a complete waste of time to watch it. My wife thought the same. I don't believe that I have ever given a movie a zero. This movie deserves a zero, not a five, not even a 0.5...even the music "didn't fit." IMHO of course...

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #4,293 of 24,690
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: ****/5.

The best since Prisoner of Azkaban and probably my second-favorite of the movies thusfar. The changes from the book weren't as horrible as Order of the Phoenix, but the cinematography and film making were great!

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #4,294 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a son about his father - 9/10

Possibly one of the most emotionally moving films I've ever seen.

Agreed. Horribly sad, horribly infuriating. Andrew's parents are absolute heroes. It's overwhelming watch what they go through.

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #4,295 of 24,690
The Bagbys certainly are heroes and possess incredible willpower. Hopefully their story has and will continue to prevent people from having to deal with something like what they went through in the future.

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #4,297 of 24,690
Yes Man - 7/10

Watched Yes Man just because I wanted another dose of Zooey Deschanel. Jim Carrey did his usual role, which was fine by me. Predictable plot, but a fun film anyway. No way I'd buy it, but that's what On Demand is for.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #4,299 of 24,690
La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc [The Passion of Joan of Arc] - I get why this film is lauded, but I'm not so much a fan of the things that make people love it: Particularly the use of close-ups (which I felt was restrictive) and the performance of the title character (which I felt was too melodramatic). Having said that, I do see and understand that these things made the film very expressive and emotional. It's just not my cup of tea.

I watched this once with the "Voices of Light" music and once totally silent... I found the latter to be the better experience. 5/10

--------------------------------------------------

Modern Times - My first Chaplin film and I liked it. This is one of the few old films where I can clearly see its significance within the context of the time when it was released. It's a creatively imaginative film that's very funny even though it has a few stale gags (the one with the minister's wife and the one with the mechanic in the factory come to mind); and it works great as a reflection of the life during those times.

The first part before the nervous breakdown and the entire sequence in the department store was just pure genius. Aside from that, the beautiful Paulette Goddard proves to be a great match for Chaplin, and they both gave very magnetic performances in this film. 9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back