Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 25, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #23,941 of 24,655
I used to be famous net flex 2022

I like prodigy drum movies, there's been a bunch in the last few years from whiplash to I used to be famous. One could add reinvention as an added bonus, but even with the ahh that was cute ending, meh, little draggy but there is a moral to the story in there. 3 puffs out of 5

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #23,942 of 24,655
Chernobyl: The Lost Tapes - 7/10

Most interesting parts that were new information to me is how hard they tried to cover up the effects of radiation on people. Calling the people worried about it "radiophobes". Remember the scenes where the soldiers had to shovel radioactive material and dump it in the hole going down to the reactor? I imagine they were not aware of how risky it really was and that it was most likely a suicide mission. Crazy how they had those poor guys doing that until they fell over. Even the robot that was out there before then couldn't survive! They didn't even provide them with much protection.

This movie actually gave me nightmares. Must be the effects I saw of severe radiation on bodies. My nightmares were of Freddy Kruger torturing me! I've never even seen one of his movies before! So yes, maybe not watch this one before going to bed?

This was worth watching for sure and pretty good. I think my impression of it would be a bit higher if it wasn't for the HBO series Chernobyl. That's one of the best TV shows ever made. I've already seen it twice. I need to buy the blu-ray of it, which actually was released!

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #23,943 of 24,655
The Big Sick - (9/10)

I'm going through Judd Apatow movies, and saw this one being a top pick on Metacritic. Check out his library and you will know who this guy is.

It started off with jokes, and good jokes as you expect from an Apatow movie, but the movie get serious like a melodrama later on. And I believe this is the turning point when the movies actually gets good. The story is very well done, and thiis is the kind of romance movie that really jives with me.

Acting is superb like in general Apatow movies. His dialogs are usually very good and never corny. Apatow movies always get the most interesting actors that have great character. Either that or interesting character is brought out. I will be digging through his library even more.

This is a Prime produciton movie, and didn't expect to be this good. I was expecting a cliche plot, but no, it's pretty original.

I really have a lot of respect for Apatow for going into Pakastani culture. You don't see it represented much in American content.

Kumail Nanjiani is great. I never knew of him until this movie. Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter. Just fantastic!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #23,945 of 24,655
Broker - (7/10)

Interesting story, but felt that it could have been executed better to be more engaging. Probably my least liked of Koreeda's films I've seen so far. Lots of A list Korean Actors, but the charm you find in his Japanese films are missing I feel. I get a feeling that it would have worked out better if done in Japanese since it's Koreeda's cultural background because some scenes felt a bit unnatural.

It felt like the film was dragging.

You get a scenario at the start and why it happened gets unfolded as you progress through the movie. It's really unfortunate and sad, but I didn't like how it ended. 'Like Father Like Son' also dragged, but the payoff was great. Not so much with this one.+

probably my most striking scene was inside the ride. It was really emotional, and was very good. It works so well because the parallel with the background of one of the characters. You really feel it due to how the parallel is drawn. I thought this was so clever, and was hoping Koreeda would do something more clever toward the ending, but I didn't like the ending.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #23,946 of 24,655
Everything Everywhere All at Once really surprised me, I'd give it a personal 10/10. It felt like a wonderful mashup of Kung Fu Hustle, The Lobster, Bao, and The Matrix, all films I love, so it is right up my alley. It manages to both feel inspired by other things but also it is it's own thing, and that's a tough needle to thread. I enjoyed both the universe they created in the film and how it works on an emotional-allegorical level.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #23,947 of 24,655
Top Gun: Maverick - 7.75/10

This one feels like just a bunch of old recycled ideas from much better movies.
Kind of like they gave a computer AI robot the scripts for The Right Stuff, Thirty Seconds over Tokyo, Guns of Navarone and The Dam Busters and used 75% of whatever it came up with.

At times it feels like they just made the story as bland and generic as possible but added in some non-sense to generate as much money as possible at the box office.
What do you add to get those results? Your guess is as good as mine. I think they have a script template for that. Pixar knows all about this!
People always go for the sad scenes with the stand up and cheer endings (with high fives etc).
After watching this it feels like it has the most use of movie cliches since "Shanghai Noon".

I kind of felt like I was watching one of those old WWII propaganda films too from the 1940s. Those were actually pretty entertaining and not all of them were bad ("Air Force" is really good). Most of them barely would ever show the enemy though, kind of like this one. In this one you never actually saw anyone die. Apparently it's some rogue nation. Yet they have nuclear reactors and 100 million dollar planes.

OK, so why did I like it? The last 45 minutes were pretty entertaining. Loved the aerial combat scenes for sure. They looked really good. I wonder which ones were even CGI or if any were real. Would have been fun to see this in Imax. Maybe there's a behind the scenes feature on the blu-ray.

I admit the scenes where Maverick was showing off were pretty amusing. You know the 2 minute and 15 second or whatever "run".

The first half was pretty boring and I have zero interest in the story. I don't remember a single thing about the first movie.

There's also an idea that feels borrowed from "The Great Escape" and pretty hard to believe.
I mean they really came up with some of the most idiotic ideas ever. Things you should only see in Rambo movies.
I guess don't expect realism here. Duh!

Worth a rental for sure.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #23,948 of 24,655
Top Gun: Maverick - 7.75/10

This one feels like just a bunch of old recycled ideas from much better movies.
Kind of like they gave a computer AI robot the scripts for The Right Stuff, Thirty Seconds over Tokyo, Guns of Navarone and The Dam Busters and used 75% of whatever it came up with.

At times it feels like they just made the story as bland and generic as possible but added in some non-sense to generate as much money as possible at the box office.
What do you add to get those results? Your guess is as good as mine. I think they have a script template for that. Pixar knows all about this!
People always go for the sad scenes with the stand up and cheer endings (with high fives etc).
After watching this it feels like it has the most use of movie cliches since "Shanghai Noon".

I kind of felt like I was watching one of those old WWII propaganda films too from the 1940s. Those were actually pretty entertaining and not all of them were bad ("Air Force" is really good). Most of them barely would ever show the enemy though, kind of like this one. In this one you never actually saw anyone die. Apparently it's some rogue nation. Yet they have nuclear reactors and 100 million dollar planes.

OK, so why did I like it? The last 45 minutes were pretty entertaining. Loved the aerial combat scenes for sure. They looked really good. I wonder which ones were even CGI or if any were real. Would have been fun to see this in Imax. Maybe there's a behind the scenes feature on the blu-ray.

I admit the scenes where Maverick was showing off were pretty amusing. You know the 2 minute and 15 second or whatever "run".

The first half was pretty boring and I have zero interest in the story. I don't remember a single thing about the first movie.

There's also an idea that feels borrowed from "The Great Escape" and pretty hard to believe.
I mean they really came up with some of the most idiotic ideas ever. Things you should only see in Rambo movies.
I guess don't expect realism here. Duh!

Worth a rental for sure.
They didn't want to say it because they didn't want to piss off the "rogue nation" since they'll be screening there but its CHINA.

They're the only nation that is suspected to have air superiority over the US and capable of building such a thing.

Dont be so hasty to pass things off as hard to believe.

If you told me 30 years ago, the mujahideen "freedom fighters" of afghanistan that the US provided hundreds of millions of dollars in financial aid and weapons to fight the Soviet Union, would later use those weapons to kill America's sons and daughters, I would have said thats pretty hard to believe.

Its a different type of hard to believe scenario with that new predator movie because they're making up fake science and changing history :)

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #23,949 of 24,655
Lou - 7/10
(recent Netflix film)

It's ok. Not my kind of movie really. I'd say it's definitely worth watching and not a waste of time.
The story is kind of ridiculous though. Not what i'd call a fun movie though.

Eat the Rich: The Gamestop Saga - 7.5/10

I turned off Season 1 of "The Wire" because it was boring me to death and watched this.
I was half asleep almost and managed to finish the entire season.
Crazy how that online broker disabled the buy button for Gamestop and then the stock value dropped.
Why am I not surprised. I will never be convinced some billionaires forced them to do that.

I still think somehow USA banks secretly tried to kill off Bitcoin or at least drop it's value to almost nothing.
I normally don't believe in conspiracy theory non-sense.
Have you tried to buy Bitcoin lately?
You have to jump through a million hoops just to get access.
Nearly impossible without a cell phone.
The idea that Bitcoin ATMs make it easy to get access is a joke.
Then you are limited to $100/week to start.

I guess you could mine it and use your own wallet.
Good luck with that!

PS I once tried to open an account at a site called Kraken.
They wanted me to take a selfie with my phone and hold up a sheet of paper with a special code and then my ID in another hand.
You know how crazy this is? I told them no and asked them if they need a DNA sample next lol.

There is NO USA based site that will allow you to purchase bitcoin without an ID!

Oct 6, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #23,950 of 24,655
Lou net flix 2022

great to see carol, err, lou. She gives off that walking dead vibe( later seasons) as the twists of who she is hunting, who she is rescuing, who is a villain and who is the hero. Suspense sure, intrigue some, a formula maybe a little uninspiring. 3.5 puffs out of 5

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #23,951 of 24,655
Conversations with a Killer: The Jeffrey Dahmer Tapes - 8/10

This one was just released on Netflix and it's actually a really good crime documentary series. This is the third entry and i've seen all of them.
No, it's not all just listening to him on tape for hours on end thankfully.
Luckily they don't go into extreme details about the murders, but there is one detail that was pretty shocking even hearing.
After this I feel like I just need something fun to watch that requires no brain activity. Maybe a break even from watching anything.

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #23,952 of 24,655
Wine country net flix 2019

mid life, yes 50 the new 40, chick flick, that has a dry, snl edge, with wine and girls riffing off eacother. Is it pitch perfect, an AA meeting, or a couch in a psychiatrists office? Fun, amusing, not so innovative or has much plot. That’s probably a good thing, 3 puffs out of 5.

Oct 12, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #23,953 of 24,655
The man from Toronto net flix 2022

ok a hodgepodge of regurgitated screen writing with dumb as nails sign posts saying this way next. But gee this isn’t serious noble stuff, just fun action from woody, hart, and animal kingdom mom, ‘Baby’. Frankly I found it amusing with enough twists to keep me interested. 4 puffs out of five.

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #23,954 of 24,655
Recently saw Bullet train, I can easily say that it's an easy watch for the curious ones. It's the kind of movie you'll go see for fun and its over the top situations.
Nothing too deep to make you reflect your thoughts inside of your head, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #23,955 of 24,655
High Water - 10/10
( Netflix new release)

Wow. This came out of nowhere. Watched this at random. Liked the first episodes but wasn't sure if I was going to continue. So glad I did! It takes a few episodes to really draw you in. For me what makes this so good is the cinematography combined with it's soundtrack and how real everything feels. It has some ambient electronic tracks so that really helps a lot for certain scenes.

All the set designs and the feel of the movie just seems so real. Feels like you were transported back to 1997! While watching this I was reminded of "Chernobyl" somehow. Plus there are many scenes that almost felt similar to the art in the flooded district in "Dishonored". Nobody probably knows what i'm talking about, but that game had some great artwork in it.

For me it slowly builds up some suspense about what's going to happen. It's definitely not a movie like "Day After Tomorrow" or your typical Hollywood disaster movie. This one is so much different and even better. It's much slower paced for sure and not everyone will be OK with that.

I guess if one were looking for lots of CGI and special effects, this isn't your movie. I think there is maybe only 1 use of CGI in the entire movie.
There were some shots I thought were probably CGI but were actually real!

This movie deserves to be #1 on Netflix. They picked up a winner here. Instead the Dahmer movie is on the top of their list now I think :slight_frown:

PS It might be better to watch the series and skip the trailer. That's what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back