Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 25, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #23,476 of 24,647
Don't look up - (6/10)

I can't believe this movie was done by the director of 'Anchorman' and 'The Big Short.' I don't know what this movie was intended for, comedy or a serious plot. Plot was just bad, and it just wasn't funny. I think it was trying to be satirical, but just really bad at it. It is no 'Wag the Dog.' I agree with the critics on this one. The movie went down hill starting with the news scene. Then I knew it's poor attempt at commedy.

Reminds me to see Wag The Dog again.
I haven't seen Don't Look Up but my understanding is that it's a social satire, where the impending disaster is a stand-in for a number of potential real disasters that some people today would rather not think about/delay dealing with/ignore/deny are possible, with some extreme caricatures used to achieve this. From what I remember of Wag the Dog, it was a political satire that more closely emulated a potential scenario where a politician wants to distract the public from a sex scandal by starting a war, which seems like a different kind of satire to me, in the sense that the sex scandal or manufactured war aren't stand-ins for anything, just the people/nations involved are the stand-ins, whereas the big disaster in Don't Look Up is a stand-in for a number of other potential disasters/problems in the world.

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #23,477 of 24,647
I haven't seen Don't Look Up but my understanding is that it's a social satire, where the impending disaster is a stand-in for a number of potential real disasters that some people today would rather not think about/delay dealing with/ignore/deny are possible, with some extreme caricatures used to achieve this. From what I remember of Wag the Dog, it was a political satire that more closely emulated a potential scenario where a politician wants to distract the public from a sex scandal by starting a war, which seems like a different kind of satire to me, in the sense that the sex scandal or manufactured war aren't stand-ins for anything, just the people/nations involved are the stand-ins, whereas the big disaster in Don't Look Up is a stand-in for a number of other potential disasters/problems in the world.
Obviously two are different movies with different plot-lines. I meant the satire isn't as good as Wag the Dog (with the poor plot-line). It's execution is poor.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #23,478 of 24,647
The 100 Foot Journey 9/10

A story about an Indian family who set up a restaurant in rural France right across the street from a Michelin starred restaurant and the ensuing rivalry.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #23,479 of 24,647
The Darkest Hour - 9/10

This felt like a completely different movie when I saw it this second time.
In the theater I found it really dully and boring. This time around I loved every minute of it.
Why the change? I'm not sure, but I think perhaps I've learned a little more about WWII since then.
As you may know, this one is about Winston Churchill during WWII.
I guess maybe early on when I saw this, I didn't get really what was at stake if Germany actually would invaded the United Kingdom.

The Gallant Hours - 5/10

This is a "docudrama" about Admiral William Halsey during WWII.
There are no battle scenes at all and it feels like it's mostly office meetings with him and discussions about logistics etc.
It's well made, but just not much here new to learn about. I would say it's slightly boring, but nothing too bad.
PS if you want a good hidden gem about the navy during WWII check into "Away All Boats". It may be hard to find these days.

Confessions of a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes (Netflix series) - 10/10

This is a very bad, lazy and not very accurate title for an extremely good crime documentary.
It makes one NOT want to watch it. It's also a bit misleading because there is so little playing of any of these tapes.
I would instead name it "Catching a Killer: Ted Bundy" or similar.

The events in this movie were way before my time. I had a general idea of who he was, but did not know all the details.
Luckily all the gory details are mostly left unsaid in this movie. You get a general idea of the crimes he committed, but they don't dwell on graphic details at all thankfully.
There are some slightly disturbing minutes here and there, but overall it's not a disturbing movie IMO.

I was surprised to learn he had escaped police custody twice and was on the run for days. The first time they didn't even have him handcuffed and he was left alone in a court library I think. What the heck?!

I am against the death penalty, but people like this really make me question that sort of thing at times.
What I found crazy is that before his death in the electric chair people were outside holding up signs with stuff like "Fry Ted Bundy!" and seemed to be getting such a thrill out of the idea he was going to be put to death. It was like they were at a football game or something and having so much fun.

The most crazy thing I found in the movie is that during his time in jail he got married and had a child with his wife (!). I mean the woman actually thought he was completely innocent yet he finally confessed at the end. Can you imagine growing up and realizing your dad was Ted Bundy? I'd probably be severely depressed every day.

Anyway, after seeing this I couldn't stop thinking about it all night. Couldn't sleep at all.
I haven't had a movie get stuck in my brain like that since maybe "The Reader" and that was maybe 10 years ago at least.
I think this is probably one of the best crime documentaries there is for sure. Even better than "Making a Murderer" I think.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #23,480 of 24,647
Public executions are a thing, that’s one of the reasons I feel why humanity can’t be trusted to do the right things, both because of it produces Ted bunnies, executes, and cheers it at the same time

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #23,481 of 24,647
I think this is probably one of the best crime documentaries there is for sure. Even better than "Making a Murderer" I think.

I dont think youve seen that many crime documentaries because Making a Murder was weaksauce. Way too long, full of filler. Condensed to 1 episode would have been a good film.

Nice list but cant verify personally if definitive since Ive not seen them all (on this list and in general).:
https://screenrant.com/bes-true-crime-documentaries-all-time/
^ Ive seen about half of those. Before googling a recommendation list I was thinking about my favs and some do appear on this list. There are other greats worth your time for sure but this link seems like a good place to start imo so you dont think Making a Murderer is GOAT crime documentary.

Public executions are a thing, that’s one of the reasons I feel why humanity can’t be trusted to do the right things, both because of it produces Ted bunnies, executes, and cheers it at the same time
No doubt. Discussing such matters could easily devolve into politics and religion and get thread censored… But in summation: we are just the most evolved animals. Neil deGrasse Tyson framed it best, paraphrasing: “Our closest relative the chimpanzee shares 99% of our DNA, and we think they are dumb animals and throw them in zoos. Imagine an advanced alien race visiting Earth, well we might just be zoo animals to them... So not sure Id want aliens visiting us.”

Edit: To further prove the point. A (the?) major basis in psychology is “acceptance and commitment therapy”. Basically aknowledging that before modern society we were living in the wild with the rest of the animals. Our emotions we suffer today are manifested from our inherent survival instincts. Our natural reactions may not be appropriate for today’s world. First, accept this fact, then use your advanced monkey brain to manage and learn.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #23,482 of 24,647
Aliens fascinate me but I do realize the inequity of the interchange if in fact they would exist and be able to get to earth.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #23,485 of 24,647
I dont think youve seen that many crime documentaries because Making a Murder was weaksauce. Way too long, full of filler. Condensed to 1 episode would have been a good film.

Nice list but cant verify personally if definitive since Ive not seen them all (on this list and in general).:
^ Ive seen about half of those. Before googling a recommendation list I was thinking about my favs and some do appear on this list. There are other greats worth your time for sure but this link seems like a good place to start imo so you dont think Making a Murderer is GOAT crime documentary.

No doubt. Discussing such matters could easily devolve into politics and religion and get thread censored… But in summation: we are just the most evolved animals. Neil deGrasse Tyson framed it best, paraphrasing: “Our closest relative the chimpanzee shares 99% of our DNA, and we think they are dumb animals and throw them in zoos. Imagine an advanced alien race visiting Earth, well we might just be zoo animals to them... So not sure Id want aliens visiting us.”

Edit: To further prove the point. A (the?) major basis in psychology is “acceptance and commitment therapy”. Basically aknowledging that before modern society we were living in the wild with the rest of the animals. Our emotions we suffer today are manifested from our inherent survival instincts. Our natural reactions may not be appropriate for today’s world. First, accept this fact, then use your advanced monkey brain to manage and learn.
Yeah chimpanzees social life is a perfect mirrors to humans society with limited resources to fight over. And sometimes just greed.

If aliens is of the same mindset as we they will for sure enslave us as they are the "better people" and simply just knows better. They will probably keep us alive in zoos though for public exhibition.

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #23,486 of 24,647
Yeah chimpanzees social life is a perfect mirrors to humans society with limited resources to fight over. And sometimes just greed.

If aliens is of the same mindset as we they will for sure enslave us as they are the "better people" and simply just knows better. They will probably keep us alive in zoos though for public exhibition.

Doesnt even have to be other species. We consider some humans worth bombing or enslaving. Even the homeless people down the street I could care less. My neighbor likes loud cars, I would not mind him not existing in my life but Id wish him no harm. Just if he could be somehow extracted and put in a fixed location so as not to get in the way that would be fine.

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #23,487 of 24,647

Please don't assume things about me. Crime documentaries are a new interest of mine for sure, but I'd say I've sought out some of the best ones I could find in the last few years. Weaksauce? Seriously? Saying it should be condensed to 1 episode is just non-sense IMO. Making a Murderer for me was fascinating from start to finish. It's one I was so engrossed in that I probably set my record for most hours watching a TV series in one day. I think the previous record was "Breaking Bad" on it's final season on my first viewing.

Another good series I liked was "The Confession Tapes".

I just finished Season 2 and would give it a 10/10 just like season 1.

Sat through every episode of Season 2 for about 4 1/2 hours yesterday in one sitting. It was that good.

One of the worst i've seen was the Tiger King.
I don't get the appeal of that movie at all.
I guess it's not much of a crime documentary, but probably close.

Another I might put in my top 10 is "Wild Wild Country".

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #23,488 of 24,647
I like mike from ‘that chapter’ on you tube, 20-30 minutes of Irish lilt, love how he says tree for three. Anyrate short sweet analysis of what makes us weird, then how the case got solved, and subsequent charges. As far as cop shows I can’t stand ;cops’ it’s just depressing watch alcoholic's get arrested, don’t mind 48 hours but wonder about systemic racism in America resulting in a petri dish of crimes.
prefer to watch sociopaths and psychopaths try and outwit the law but they don’t. Kinda like trump crime family….that will be good to see the perp walk

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #23,489 of 24,647
Please don't assume things about me. Crime documentaries are a new interest of mine for sure,
And I assume you could imagine how you being new to a subject might mean you might still have more to learn. Not saying youre an idiot, just that being newb is normal. Taking offense to such a suggestion would be normal as well. But I assume you will get past that and improve yourself as youve done your whole life. Unless you were born a pro then my apologies my lord.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #23,490 of 24,647
And I assume you could imagine how you being new to a subject might mean you might still have more to learn. Not saying youre an idiot, just that being newb is normal. Taking offense to such a suggestion would be normal as well. But I assume you will get past that and improve yourself as youve done your whole life. Unless you were born a pro then my apologies my lord.

Not even sure what is going on here.
Can you please stop with this non-sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back