Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 17, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #22,981 of 24,647
The Courier - (7.8/10)

Was ok, not the most entertaining movie since it's based on a true story. I think the true story is much more interesting than the movie adaptation. It just doesn't work that well as a movie adapation IMO. It's due to such a simple not much involving story.

Let's think about this. It says story of business man turned spy. How much excitement can a true story about a businessman used as spy be?

Everything else is well executed however, the acting, the camera usage, etc... It's a boring screenplay, but well made boring screenplay. I would recommend this one over 'Nobody' as I think it's more worthwhile, that is if you are not much of a action person.

maxresdefault (1).jpg
Greenland - 9/10

This one was a complete surprise. Totally expected another terrible Hollywood big budget disaster movie, but loved it!
Didn't even see the trailer beforehand and knew nothing about it. Maybe that helped?

While watching it I didn't have any complaints at all, which is very rare.
I also felt the acting from everyone was actually way above average (even from Gerard Butler).
Some may think it had some over-acting, but considering what's happening to them, not really.

It's actually quite different from your usually Hollywood disaster movie.
It seems to focus mostly on one family trying to survive/escape during the event.
There is not a lot of action sequences, big explosions and special effects.
Any special effects I saw were convincing enough.

This one kind of reminded me of the film "The Impossible" mixed with "Day After Tomorrow".
"The Impossible" is just so realistic that it's just hard to enjoy and not much fun at all. Definitely not entertainment.
I actually found it too draining just to sit through. Felt like I was right there with them.

This movie is better than "Day After Tomorrow", but this one is more serious and not as entertaining.
Then in "Day After Tomorrow" you have all that cheesy dialogue and things that are way too hard to believe.

PS One thing that doesn't seem realistic is that some of the Government employees in the movie were WAY WAY too helpful.
Like in total chaos in the movie they would drop everything and go help you find your missing son? Not likely.
Lose your boarding pass? No problem!

Going to buy this on blu-ray I think. Maybe there is a 4k version available.
I'm sure many of you will give this a 4 or 5 out of 10 and think it's garbage.
I just really liked it.
I got bored out of my mind after 30min of it. Seemed so cliche family escape natural disaster movie.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #22,982 of 24,647
I saw the Devil - (8.6/10)

I've been well aware of this movie, but held off this long due to personally being uneasy with violence. I know, I've seen plenty of Korean films with violence, but I personally don't like dark ambience with lot of sharp violence (Which seems to be common in Korean cinema), and this is one of them. I think this is the most violent Korean flick I've seen. I mainly appreciate Korean films for unique story telling and screenplays if done well, and how the usage of violence works or not.

I think the movie is well executed, easy to follow story. Surprise, it's another revenge film from Korea. I think the way it's executed is fairly original, but serial killer themes seem to be done commonly in Korean cinema, and this is probably the one with the most striking visuals.

With the two start actors, of course the acting is superb. Both are notorious for their acting.

One thing I found odd is the story. Why the protagonist would prolong it, it makes no sense for me with all the deaths. But, in the protagonists shoes and motives, it makes sense to the protagonist since he would be out of his mind?

Now I feel like I Need to watching something light to balance my mood out. (Perhaps a Hosoda film. lol.). I really cannot stand violence, and Korean movies seem to push the violence boundary.

It is made by the same director of "A Bitter Sweet Life," and it just feel devoid of morality, and straight-up revenge plotting. If it was Na Hong-Jin, I feel that violence has more of a purpose to the story, but these movies are violence is the movie itself. So, I do find Na Hong Jin's usage of violence seem more natural for the plot of film.

MV5BZjRmNjc5MTYtYjc3My00ZjNiLTg4YjUtMTQ0ZTFkZmMxMDUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY5MTUyNjU@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #22,983 of 24,647
The Age of Shadows - (7/10)

Story about Korean freedom fighters during Japanese rule. It seems more of a patriotic piece. I thought it was a pretty ordinary story with pretty cliche screenplay about resistance fighters. I would have enjoyed it better if it taught some history instead. I'm sure it's based on history, but comes off more of a fiction due to how it was approached, therefore it seems like it's an irrelevant story to people outside of Korean culture. Since it doesn't provided much real historical value. At least with movie like 1987 or Taxi driver, there is basis for historical events, but this one doesn't seem like it. Well, at least I should look up if these events actually happened, but I doubt that it happened like the way the film expresses it.

I can't believe it's made by the same director of "A Bitter Sweet Life" and "I saw the Devil." This is one with a real plot, and it wasn't told in a way that was anything other than ordinary. He does well with ones with hardly any plot and lots of violence however. lol.

You know when a Korean flick is 100% on RottenTomatoes, it will be an avg or below avg flick. lol. The way Korean flicks are rated in US sites are just really off the mark.

The_Age_of_Shadows.jpg

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #22,984 of 24,647
Signal - Season 1 - (9/10)

Kdrama as they call the Korean TV series, are mainly soap-opera mini-series for house-wives with loads of time. Since the genre's TV audience are such, this genre is mainly love stories, and if getting really cliche (At least in men's perspective. lol), just various versions of Cinderella stories. Which is why as a male I cannot understand the draw behind Kdramas (although women seem to easily get addicted to them).

But, the stories that Kdrama is delving into recently seems to be changing to other than the typical romance stories, and 'Signal' is a perfect example of one. It's missing the core ingredients of most Kdrama, which is a romance stories of couples.

Although, 'Signal' would technically be called a Kdrama, it would fall into a particular type of sub-genre of crime TV show with slight scifi elements embedded in it.

It's a story about somebody from the future that can communicate with the past to help each other solve crime. So, Scifi aspect is the time element involved in the future/past being able to communicate. So, 'Signal' is a complete departure from the usual women audience friendly Kdramas.

It seem to be a well known mini-series as a lot of websites ranks the show pretty high. So, that got me interested, and after watching it, I now understand the draw of the show. I think the plot was the key for the success of this series. The plot was well thought out, and was pretty engaging. It starts out with giving you pieces of the story and then you gain more and more information of the plot as you watch, and the biggest payoff of the story is the last episodes to get the whole picture (I usually find, at least with Korean films, there's generally a good ending payout for crime/thrillers stories.). Since it's a plot is about detective solving crimes, and there's 16 episodes, they fill it with different crime stories, and how story is put together with those stories is pretty well done. Also, I like that the way the story is told is super easy to follow.

It still has that typical Kdrama acting that seems over-dramatized, and cheezy action scenes. It seems that these mini-series are usually fixed at 16 episodes like it's some rule. I think they tried to drag it on since they had to fill 16 episodes. It could have been condensed, and not be such a time waster! I prefer it when stories are to the point, and hate when dragging on for the sake of it. Also, CSI style looking scenes are too obvious. lol. The difference with this one from the CSI like shows from the US is the more personal characterization and development of the characters (which is common Kdrama trait), which is nice to have (more human aspects).

The tv show productions aren't on the same as Korean Cinema. I think Korean films generally have superior cinematography, and doesn't seem as cheezy in presentations. I don't know why there is such a difference in how film and TV shows are presented. Also, the character acting is over-dramatic compared to the movies.

So, it's a nice departure that shows like this are being produced. I think another Korean show that's a departure from the usual is 'Kingdom,' which is about survival horror from zombies. I hope to see more shows that explore other genres. So, well worth recommending if somebody is looking to try out a Korean mini-series.

L_p0071558383.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #22,985 of 24,647
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011), directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan on kanopy (library streaming service). Truly a slow burn with a couple payoffs from the two characters that matter. Great cinematography. Basically a police procedural set in Turkey (Turkish director - great English subs, no cc ( e.g. [cat meowing] [phone rings] [door closes] ). I'm linking up another of his: Winter Sleep (2014) next.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #22,986 of 24,647
True Detective - Season 1 - (7.7/10)

I decided to check out what the big deal with this one is all about. I came abit disappointed.

It started off really slow (for 5 episodes of not much going on), which probably helped develop the characters. I didn't find the main characters all that interesting.

A cop and marriage issues as part of the story does not interest me. I was hoping for a good depth to the murder mystery and much of the show being a thrilling experience, which rarely was. I didn't think the serial killer plotliine was all that interesting or original.

I didn't care for the deep philiosphical jargons throughout. A lot of the dialog I couldn't understand very well, and didn't get the purpose of some of them, particularly the deep ones. I think the story could have been conveyed to be easier for the audience to digest. I really hate this trend with dialog made such a manner.

At least there were two really hot actresses that shows off their heavenly bodies. lol Was that reallly necessary? They knew which good looking actress to pick for the role. I think it's just part of being HBO, throwing in some random nude scenes.

Cinematography, the choice of scenery was tops. The acting was two performers were really good. That was the highlight.

The show is not for me. Don't care for deep philosphical meaning they tackle in it, I just want an engaging, and throughtful plot that is well executed. Deep down I find it a bit pretensious and not much going on with the plot. This. Could have been done in a 2hr movie. Breaking Bad is my benchmark for good TV show, and perhaps too high of a bar to meet? I like that Breaking Bad dialog was real commonsensical, not some pretentious philosophical crap.

Top detective movies for me: Silence of the Lambs, Seven, and Memories of Murder. What's been done, been done and you have to really original to be different for detective genre, this one feel pretentious than being original.

A1pVKOuyd7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #22,987 of 24,647
Masquerade - (7/10)

This one is one of the higher rated Korean flicks in terms of ratings and box office revenue, and I had high hopes for this one. I was disappointed with this one. It's 100% on Rottentomatoes and it's likely popular to Western audiences due to being a period piece with fancy costumes and all that? 'Age of Shadows' was also a period piece and got high ratings, and both I didn't find the movie to be up to par with Rottontomatoes ratings.

Ok, 'Handmaiden' didn't fall into likes of those two movies. It was period piece with well done storyline not done in a traditional manner. It was a brilliant movie.

Plot is really simple. King gets sick, and King gets temporarily replaced with a look alike. I like the rare comedic scenes in the movie, and I was hoping that it would be the direction it would go, but no, it went in a serious direction. I didn't think the plot of was deep or anything original. It seems like a typical good protagonist doing good things, etc.. Nothing really out of the traditional bounds.

Cinematography and acting was superb however. Lee Byung-hun never disappoints with his acting, and the acting in general was good.

I personally haven't run into any Ancient Korean period piece to be of my liking. Perhaps, it just boils down to tastes, but these types of ancient stories really bore me, especially how Korean movies do them. I'll just stick with Korean thrillers and gangster/cop/prosecuter, corruption and violent fighting movies they are good at producing.

I mentioned earlier this movie has comedic elements (I think most Korean movies do, and they will even put it in dark movies, it's weird). I was thinking it would be interesting to make a comedy based on what Kings had to go through that normal people didn't. I'm referring to something in the lines of the bathroom scenes in this movie (In which I thought was brilliant), and other things about kings they went through. It would be like the themes explored in 'The Tale of the Princess Kaguya,' but in a light hearted comedic way. It would be interesting to see/learn historical stuff in such light.

81Q6S1YMuwL._RI_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #22,988 of 24,647
Coin Locker Girl - (7.9/10)

Wasn't bad at all. I was drawn to the concept of a girl that was left in a coin-lock when a baby. Seems like an interesting premise. I just didn't think Kim Go-Eun fit the role in a dark movie. It's another fairly violent Korean flick about crime underworld and organ harvesting.

It's an interesting hypothetical look at world that somebody could end up from abandonment. This movie falls under the typical cliche element of a character that is raised in such environment, but doesn't convincingly act like it, which is what I felt Kim Go-Eun was a bad fit, and just not realistic enough in way her character was portrayed.

photo680686.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #22,989 of 24,647
Barefoot Gen - (8.5/10)

I find something charming about 80's anime. The story for this movie I was aware for a long time. I have read the comic long ago and I found it to be a very good way for me to get an idea of what kind of damages the atomic bomb has caused. I find this story much more significat than Chernobyl, in which I didn't think it really lived up to critic's ratings.

I think 'Gave of the Fireflies' just has a better thought out screenplay and was masterful in telling the story. This one on the other hand is good as showing the damages.

Although it's old and has that cliche character behaviors and over-dramatization of old Japanese acting, but core substance is substantial. Manga is very good. I'd recommend the manga.

MV5BNWMwZDY2MTYtMzk5OC00MWZlLWI3NzctYTQxNjNmZTJjYmVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDYzNTI2ODc@._V1_UY1200_CR...jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #22,990 of 24,647
The Spy Gone North - (8.2/10)

A movie about a South Korean spy that actually got close enough to meet North Korean Leader Kim Jong Il during his epionage. They say it's based on true story, but it's accurate to his memoir book he put out. So, the movie has a lot of elements from his memoir, so it's following supposed actual events, so there's hardly any block-buster elements, but more realistic depiction of espionage.

The movie can be really boring for somebody that's looking for some fun action/blockbuster (Looking for stuff more akin to Bourn Identity). This movie is based on a memoir, so they made this movie to have what was written in the memoir. And it actually does seem to include information from the memoir based on what I found online. I found that actual story of the memoir really interesting, but it's not the most sensational story to be made a block-buster.

I find this story more interesting than 'The Courier' due to the what was discovered of it, or claimed in this South Korean spy's memoir. Politics involved with espionage is unexpected surprise. 'The Courier' was significant due to the involvement of the Cuban Missile crisis and just the event itself was huge, but the story of spying was pretty basic. What is revealed in the 'The Spy Gone North' is what makes it so interesting.

Same director of "Nameless Gangster." Which was a good movie, and both movies shows that the director knows what stories are interesting to tell. I like movies like this that has me looking to learn more about the event. Because it's damn interesting story!

MV5BNWNiMTAzY2UtYmIwNy00ZGEzLTkwYWYtYjEwZWRmMDBkMjE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #22,991 of 24,647
I saw the Devil - (8.6/10)

I've been well aware of this movie, but held off this long due to personally being uneasy with violence. I know, I've seen plenty of Korean films with violence, but I personally don't like dark ambience with lot of sharp violence (Which seems to be common in Korean cinema), and this is one of them. I think this is the most violent Korean flick I've seen. I mainly appreciate Korean films for unique story telling and screenplays if done well, and how the usage of violence works or not.

I think the movie is well executed, easy to follow story. Surprise, it's another revenge film from Korea. I think the way it's executed is fairly original, but serial killer themes seem to be done commonly in Korean cinema, and this is probably the one with the most striking visuals.

With the two start actors, of course the acting is superb. Both are notorious for their acting.

One thing I found odd is the story. Why the protagonist would prolong it, it makes no sense for me with all the deaths. But, in the protagonists shoes and motives, it makes sense to the protagonist since he would be out of his mind?

Now I feel like I Need to watching something light to balance my mood out. (Perhaps a Hosoda film. lol.). I really cannot stand violence, and Korean movies seem to push the violence boundary.

It is made by the same director of "A Bitter Sweet Life," and it just feel devoid of morality, and straight-up revenge plotting. If it was Na Hong-Jin, I feel that violence has more of a purpose to the story, but these movies are violence is the movie itself. So, I do find Na Hong Jin's usage of violence seem more natural for the plot of film.

It’s been a while since I saw this but I loved it. The way the photography was in addition to the acting was amazing. But (also) the editing was great, like the flow of how it was all put together. I actually don’t remember the end so maybe I have to see it again.

But the mood all the way through was amazing. I guess it was really violent, though I don’t remember being shocked at that much? I did not see it in 2010, maybe 2018?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #22,992 of 24,647
It’s been a while since I saw this but I loved it. The way the photography was in addition to the acting was amazing. But (also) the editing was great, like the flow of how it was all put together. I actually don’t remember the end so maybe I have to see it again.

But the mood all the way through was amazing. I guess it was really violent, though I don’t remember being shocked at that much? I did not see it in 2010, maybe 2018?
Yes, I generally find photography of South Korean films done really well. And there are reasons why some actors are often used as they are amazing perfomers. From what I've heard, the photography of 'Burning' is suppose to be really high quality. The film-maker must have hired a good photographer. His films look more documentary style.

Yes, the movie does grab the viewer, and shows all the vengeful hate and the ruthlessness of the killer (no remorse). I don't understand why Korea is so big on revenge. We can't say culture is like that based on films only, but based on the films, it's like eye to eye is justified. They usually point out that the law doesn't punish offender fairly as the damages taken by the victim. I think that this purpose of the message, and it's often emphasized. It's like the film want the offender to 'get' what the victim feels of the loss. Maybe it's satisfying to the viewer when the offender gets what is due.

This revenge aspect is very often used in Korean films. Justice and corruption is often recurring Korean film themes. There seems to have been plenty of injustice throughout their history, so they point them out. In a way, it does reflect the expressiveness of the culture in what they strongly feel.

Some Korean films like this are violent, but I didn't think it was as violent as I was expecting. There's probably worse stuff out there like 'Human Centipede.' lol.

There's more of a common way Korean films seems to depict violence. It's usually for punishment by mobsters or for torturing. They use all kinds of objects for fighting, which makes it a bit more violent than somebody getting shot.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #22,993 of 24,647
10/10

I finally saw this in 4K on a 65” monitor. What an experience. All the props look totally homemade except for a few very famous guns. But you could see the devices were painted with colored tape, and many items were just quickly hodgepodged together. You could see everything was spray painted too. Everything!

Still that didn’t take away from the acting and mood this classic has.
774F4DC5-74D7-4A6D-ACA7-03ED8B3516E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #22,995 of 24,647
Stowaway - 9/10

One of the few really good Netflix new releases.
Very good acting, set designs etc. It seems pretty realistic, but without lots of action scenes, suspense etc.
I think a lot of people might get bored of it, but I found it near perfect.
I guess some people might think there is not enough here for a movie, but I disagree.
Sorry, it also does not contain any aliens!
By the end I kind of wanted more. Hope Netflix makes a sequel or maybe produces a TV series.
I'd watch it. I also can't wait for the 2nd season of "Into the Night"!

PS if they ever made a movie based on the video game "PREY" (2017) this director is the one i'd pick.
I always thought that game would make a good movie.

The Confession Tapes - 10/10

By far one of the best documentaries i've seen in the past year. Watching it isn't easy and it really just makes you frustrated and angry.
Pretty educational and now I definitely know better than to talk to the police without a lawyer present during an interrogation, even if I was 1000% innocent of the crime.
I'd actually rank this as high as something like "Making a Murderer". It's just that good.

Yes Man - 7/10

Somehow this isn't as good as I remember. Yes, it had me laughing out loud at a few funny parts, but it isn't anything special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back