Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #22,967 of 24,651
I like this QA with Bong Joon Ho, where he provides much insights regarding the movie 'Memories of Murder.' The era when event took place, and just the generally societal background of the times. I find it funny when it starts out, and he said the producers tried to convince him on the ending of the movie and he refusesd. lol

There's a lot of Korean movies about the 80's as it seems like very controversial times of the country.

This is what I like about movies like this. Takes a self-look of the society and not afraid to point out criticism of it.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #22,968 of 24,651
Forgotten - (8.8/10)

Starts out slow, but very well written story and screenplay. Well executed cinematography, telling of the story, and just in general very smooth execution. The scoring is really well executed as well. The music is intentionally paced with what is going on visually and intensifying the thrill. The score feels like how Hitchcock applies suspenseful scores.

This is what a modern Hitchcock should be like. Similar feel to Oldboy in the way the past is revealed. Highly recommended. Starts out slow, but gets really good toward the end. I feel like I found a gem with this one.

I said this before, and Thrillers are what Korean films seem to excel in. I guess you can't go wrong with getting theatre goers engaged in the movie with thrillers.

p15176483_p_v10_aa.jpg

This song was in the film, and really stuck out. If you see it, you'll understand what I mean

Jo Pil-ho: The Dawning Rage - (7.7/10)

Good acting performance and cinematography, but the story wasn't well executed. It has the typical Korean corrupt cop elements, etc.. Story gets unclear and uninvolving during the middle of the film. It's a shame because it started out really interesting, and then got disinteresting in the middle.

jo-pil-ho-the-dawning-rage.-banner.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #22,969 of 24,651
The Call - (8.3/10)

I thought was fairly interesting. The way changing the past events that effects the future in the way that was approached and utilized in the storyline worked well. It doesn't seem like a new concept, but I can't recall seeing a movie with this concept applied, particularly in such manner. For some reason the rating on Rotten Tomatoes is 100% and it makes no sense. It's a fairly decent movie, not up to that level of rating. The audience score is much more realistic.

I've seen Park Shin-hye in other roles, and I'm starting to realize the reasons for her popularity. She seems to be really good at effectively conveying emotions to the audiences. So, certain roles just better fit for actress like her, thus helping out the movie. She's particularly good at sad scenes when she is teary. I've noticed this when I watched 'Miracle in Cell no. 7,' and she's just as effective in this film. I realized that actors can have certain emotional expression they excel at convincing the audiences, Park Shin-hye is perfect for expressing certain types of moods.

MV5BMTQwOTg3MzQtYTgwZS00OWI3LThlYzMtM2JiMDI1MDc3YTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

This clip below shows how she's the type of actress than can pull off sad scenes very effectively. You have to have a particular type of camera presence to pull it off effectively. Without her, the movie wouldn't have been a hit. I'm pretty sure her role in the movie helped the movie significantly. Some actors/attresses are really effective at certain roles.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #22,970 of 24,651
Burning - (6/10)

I didn't expect this one to be like this being highly acclaimed. I didn't like it at all. I know the director is highly acclaimed, but it's one of those movies that people talk about symbolism in the movie like they know what they are talkin about (comes off like made up bs.), it could be interpreted this way, or that way. yada yada. Not into that, and don't feel like movies should be like that. It's supposed to be an art flick, but I think it's a piece crap.

I like the documentary style cinematography, Yoo Ah-in's performance (the male lead) is very very good. The story is crap and feels a big fraud trying to be an art flick, but comes off too ridiculous at times.

It's really a pointless movie with pointless plot, and over-rated for what it is due to the director. It's not right to rate such movie high. I find issues with condoning such styles of movies.

Let's think about this. If every movie was made like this comes off like open to interpretations and put some ridiculous scenes and justify it as symbolism, there would be not point to the plot of the movies, and I would stop watching movies.

I did like Lee Chang-dong's 'Peppermint Candy,' but this one I think is a piece of crap. I want my time back.

MV5BMWNmYjI1M2UtNDdkNi00MTgwLWFiZmYtODcxNWZhM2Y2NWFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpgdfdsadf

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #22,971 of 24,651
I've been watching a lot of Korean movies lately, and starting to see some patterns of common themes. There's usually some social commentary embedded in the movies. Corrupts cops or prosecuters, or incompetent cops, etc.. Korean movies tend to have some sort of a main figure that is looking to resolve a past issue that has conflicted them. For example, OldBoy the last scene, or 'Miracle in Cell No 7' the attorney, and also in 'Forgotten,' etc.. Park Chan Wook is most recognized for revenge themes in his movies. Usually, there seems to be a character that is looking to take revenge on something they've suffered or trying to resolve them. I wonder if it's an expression of outlet from historical hardships suffered. It's a very human thing. Everybody has an inner conflict needing resolved. So, Korean movies tend to be more character driven with focus on the inner self.

In addition, I've seen several movies with intellectually challenged characters, and I understand there has been wrong treatment of them in terms of violation of human rights. Bong Joon Ho for example explores such social issues in 'Memories of Murder.' 'Miracle on Cell No 7' as well. I find it interesting that they delve into such issues in such a gripping way.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #22,972 of 24,651
The Witch Part 1: The Subversion - (6/10)

I found a bunch of people recommending this like it's an awesome film. Even the Rottentomatoes review is better than majority of Korean flicks (Which can be good or bad. These rating websites don't have good accuracy in rating Korean flicks after I've gone through them. They usually rate them lower then they deserve most times.). So I had high expectations. It's not a horror film like the title would suggest. It's a scifi action flick.

Majority of the movie is really bland without much story. Much of the film is developing the story, and it was very uninteresting. Also, the story is something that's been done before. I was hoping that at least the action scenes would be something new, but not really anything new.

Maybe it's like Akira. The scifi theme is popular among western audiences? No idea, but I really don't find this film to be original or all that interesting.

Acting was so so for a Korean flick. I really don't understand why rating is so high in Rottentomatoes. I thought it was an avg flick. If anybody wants to watch something similar, but executed better, watch 'The Villainess.' Much much better action.

812x1200.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #22,973 of 24,651
Burning - (6/10)

I didn't expect this one to be like this being highly acclaimed. I didn't like it at all. I know the director is highly acclaimed, but it's one of those movies that people talk about symbolism in the movie like they know what they are talkin about (comes off like made up bs.), it could be interpreted this way, or that way. yada yada. Not into that, and don't feel like movies should be like that. It's supposed to be an art flick, but I think it's a piece crap.

I like the documentary style cinematography, Yoo Ah-in's performance (the male lead) is very very good. The story is crap and feels a big fraud trying to be an art flick, but comes off too ridiculous at times.

It's really a pointless movie with pointless plot, and over-rated for what it is due to the director. It's not right to rate such movie high. I find issues with condoning such styles of movies.

Let's think about this. If every movie was made like this comes off like open to interpretations and put some ridiculous scenes and justify it as symbolism, there would be not point to the plot of the movies, and I would stop watching movies.

I did like Lee Chang-dong's 'Peppermint Candy,' but this one I think is a piece of crap. I want my time back.

Interesing, the director even says that there is nothing that is certain in the film to think that the action at the end of the movie is due to evidence as the way evidence is shown in the movie can go both way. Not certain, but also can be inferenced or assumed, the person perceiving making a conclusion for whatever reason that supports the conclusion (Or in my case, confusion. lol). I guess that was his intentions. why O why he got to play with us like this? lol

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #22,974 of 24,651
Been watching a lot of documentaries lately. Can't get enough of them and looking for more if anyone knows some good ones.

Murder Among the Mormons - 9.5/10

Kind of misleading with the title.

This is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist - 6/10

This one drags on and on and on and is just so bloated. Then the music in parts is just so out of place.
It often feels like it should be for a sci-fi movie with aliens in it.

Last Breath - 10/10

By far one of the best documentaries i've seen in the past year.
Not an easy film to sit through. Probably one of the most suspenseful documentaries i've ever seen.
They could turn this into a hollywood movie easily. Please, not starring the Rock.

Icarus - 9/10

Documentary about the Russian Doping scandel during the Olympics.
Almost as entertaining as a regular suspense/thriller action film.
The first part isn't great, but it keeps getting better and better.
I have no idea why I never heard of this before today.
What is with Netflix not even listed to me the good documentaries they have?!

Naked Gun - 8/10

Founds this extremely funny. Yes, it's stupid humor and I laughed out loud so much.
I actually find it funnier than even something like Airplane.

PS Not sure if anyone will see this, but Burning is some sort of weird masterpiece, but I didn't even remotely enjoy it.
In fact, I found it so disturbing that I couldn't sleep at night and could not stop thinking about it. Yet is has almost no violence in it.
It doesn't really give you the answers you are looking for at the end and you have to kind of read up on reviews of it after watching it.
I think it's a film that would be fun to study in a film class or something.
I'm not sure why the film bothered me so much. I just wanted to get it out of my head so badly.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #22,975 of 24,651
Naked gun movies was 15/10 when I saw them. I was young and inmature which helped a lot I am sure. I am afraid to rewatch them and find them dumb.

As for documentaries touching the void, motorcycle diarys.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #22,976 of 24,651
Naked gun movies was 15/10 when I saw them. I was young and inmature which helped a lot I am sure. I am afraid to rewatch them and find them dumb.

As for documentaries touching the void, motorcycle diarys.
Most modern type naked gun I've seen was 'Tropic Thunder.' I imagine if the humor was updated to today's time, it would be Ben Stiller movies like 'Zoolander,' or Will Ferrel movies.

'Tropic Thunder' is really funny starting out, just that it didn't carry that humor continuously.

I think Saturday night live production would be updated humor(When they had good cast unlike today.). Naked Gun humor does seem dated. Looking back however, I find 'dumb and dumber,' 'Something about Mary' still funny.

I think 'Spaceballs' has aged better than 'Naked Gun.'

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #22,977 of 24,651
Most modern type naked gun I've seen was 'Tropic Thunder.' I imagine if the humor was updated to today's time, it would be Ben Stiller movies like 'Zoolander,' or Will Ferrel movies.

'Tropic Thunder' is really funny starting out, just that it didn't carry that humor continuously.

I think Saturday night live production would be updated humor(When they had good cast unlike today.). Naked Gun humor does seem dated. Looking back however, I find 'dumb and dumber,' 'Something about Mary' still funny.

I think 'Spaceballs' has aged better than 'Naked Gun.'
Yeah seen those but naked gun and hot shots was like non stop successful jokes. But 80s easy to joke about that decade. What do we have now besides Kim Jong-il and Donald Trump?

Tropic thunder just didnt carry enough jokes though.

Spaceballs I might actually have missed but doubt it. I watched last breath now realising I seen it before. Just as good and it was still nervebreaking :D

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #22,978 of 24,651
The Call - (8/10)

I thought was fairly interesting. The way changing the past events that effects the future in the way that was approached and utilized in the storyline worked well. It doesn't seem like a new concept, but I can't recall seeing a movie with this concept applied, particularly in such manner. For some reason the rating on Rotten Tomatoes is 100% and it makes no sense. It's a fairly decent movie, not up to that level of rating. The audience score is much more realistic.

I've seen Park Shin-hye in other roles, and I'm starting to realize the reasons for her popularity. She seems to be really good at effectively conveying emotions to the audiences. So, certain roles just better fit for actress like her, thus helping out the movie. She's particularly good at sad scenes when she is teary. I've noticed this when I watched 'Miracle in Cell no. 7,' and she's just as effective in this film. I realized that actors can have certain emotional expression they excel at convincing the audiences, Park Shin-hye is perfect for expressing certain types of moods.

MV5BMTQwOTg3MzQtYTgwZS00OWI3LThlYzMtM2JiMDI1MDc3YTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

This clip below shows how she's the type of actress than can pull off sad scenes very effectively. You have to have a particular type of camera presence to pull it off effectively. Without her, the movie wouldn't have been a hit. I'm pretty sure her role in the movie helped the movie significantly. Some actors/attresses are really effective at certain roles.

I've been watching a Korean TV show called 'Signal' and see that's it has the same idea as 'The Call,' in terms of communicating with the past through a hand communication device. I found out the original movie that applied this concept is a movie from the US called 'Frequency' with Jim Caviezel and Dennis Quaid.

'Signal' being a crime genre and one about serial killings, I'm seeing that a popular theme in Korean movies. Crime mystery is popular, and especially about serial killers being a popular crime story there. I see it done a lot.

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #22,979 of 24,651
Nobody - (7.5/10)

Everything except action is terrible with this movie. It's story is like typical cheezy 80's action flick. Saving grace is the last action scene, and I thought the booby traps were pretty cool. I think if some better fitting actors other than Bob Odenkirk or doc from back to the future was used, it would have seemed hipper? I think casting was just poor taste, and better call Saul as some miraculous action hero is too odd for me to take in. Part of the appeal of some action movies is the lead protagonest having some sort of cool factor about them. Chow Yun Fat, Lee Byung-hun, etc.. who are better fitting for such roles? These violent hand combat action scenes have already been done too many times in Korean cinema, and finally into US movies with this one. As far a gun scenes, been done plenty with Hongkong cinema back in the 80's.

Last scenes was pretty entertaining, but other than that, it's alright. Majority of the movie in terms of plot or character development was dumb and non-existent.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #22,980 of 24,651
Greenland - 9/10

This one was a complete surprise. Totally expected another terrible Hollywood big budget disaster movie, but loved it!
Didn't even see the trailer beforehand and knew nothing about it. Maybe that helped?

While watching it I didn't have any complaints at all, which is very rare.
I also felt the acting from everyone was actually way above average (even from Gerard Butler).
Some may think it had some over-acting, but considering what's happening to them, not really.

It's actually quite different from your usually Hollywood disaster movie.
It seems to focus mostly on one family trying to survive/escape during the event.
There is not a lot of action sequences, big explosions and special effects.
Any special effects I saw were convincing enough.

This one kind of reminded me of the film "The Impossible" mixed with "Day After Tomorrow".
"The Impossible" is just so realistic that it's just hard to enjoy and not much fun at all. Definitely not entertainment.
I actually found it too draining just to sit through. Felt like I was right there with them.

This movie is better than "Day After Tomorrow", but this one is more serious and not as entertaining.
Then in "Day After Tomorrow" you have all that cheesy dialogue and things that are way too hard to believe.

PS One thing that doesn't seem realistic is that some of the Government employees in the movie were WAY WAY too helpful.
Like in total chaos in the movie they would drop everything and go help you find your missing son? Not likely.
Lose your boarding pass? No problem!

Going to buy this on blu-ray I think. Maybe there is a 4k version available.
I'm sure many of you will give this a 4 or 5 out of 10 and think it's garbage.
I just really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back