Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #21,136 of 24,649
image.jpeg image.jpeg

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rosemarys_baby/
Of the two sisters Mia and Tisa Farrow, no movie highlights Mia as the superior actress better than Rosemary's Baby. In 1968 Mia was awarded for her debut acting ability and her performance may be the reason Rotten Tomatoes gives the flick a 99%?

Probably the most respected work William Castle was ever involved in, and besides the rape charges, it's the most high profile thing Roman Polanski was ever involved in, though Tess was pretty popular of a movie for Polanski too.

Mia must have had a body double as I can't fathom her new husband (Frank Sinatra) letting Polanski show her off nude like she was shown?

And all and all it's Mia's acting ability which takes this movie to the place it holds in movie history. She is of course is Rosemary the star of the film, but her single performance quality seems to be the essence that the entire film surrounds.

9-10

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #21,137 of 24,649
Badly dated? The time-capsule aspect was one of the reasons I rated it high. It's a cheesy science fiction movie, but with top notch effects for it's day. The eighties hair, the color combinations of the 1980s-1990s, and the way the interiors tried to look futuristic but came out dated became the charm for me. In reality it's maybe not a classic like you say, though for someone who worshiped the film in 1990, it's like hearing an old favorite song on the radio, and remembering all the words.

Fair enough. I never liked the movie at the time to be honest, and I guess it hasn't grown on me in the intervening years. I get what it was going for, I'm just not much of a fan of cheesy sci-fi. When it comes to Verhoeven, Robocop was more my bag. I know TR has plenty of fans though - trust me, it's been the subject of many a heated pub debate down the years and I'm usually in a minority of one! I picked up a blu ray copy of the film cheap and a friend actually had a go at me for selling it to him!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #21,138 of 24,649

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rosemarys_baby/
Of the two sisters Mia and Tisa Farrow, no movie highlights Mia as the superior actress better than Rosemary's Baby. In 1968 Mia was awarded for her debut acting ability and her performance may be the reason Rotten Tomatoes gives the flick a 99%?

Probably the most respected work William Castle was ever involved in, and besides the rape charges, it's the most high profile thing Roman Polanski was ever involved in, though Tess was pretty popular of a movie for Polanski too.

Mia must have had a body double as I can't fathom her new husband (Frank Sinatra) letting Polanski show her off nude like she was shown?

And all and all it's Mia's acting ability which takes this movie to the place it holds in movie history. She is of course is Rosemary the star of the film, but her single performance quality seems to be the essence that the entire film surrounds.

9-10

Now you're talking! :beerchug:

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #21,139 of 24,649
Oct 24, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #21,142 of 24,649

My DVDs make me a man of bad taste.

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #21,143 of 24,649
A Silent Voice: 10/10

Synopsis: A film about the effects of bullying and Japanese societal conformity.

I picked up the manga before deciding to see this movie in theaters -- I was on the fence before I started reading the manga; after starting the manga I felt compelled to see how well the story would be told through a cinematic lens.
It started with a surprise favorite song of mine; actually a very Western movie opening; of "My Generation" by the Who.
The beauty of this movie is the various flaws of all of the main characters, before and after the schism that divides the two main characters. It also deals with gross ideas, like suicide, societal conformity, social isolation, and disabilities in a way that I've never experienced before.
The most astonishing thing is it manages to balance all of these concepts organically; it all feels incorporated, integrated into the whole stream of the movie. The movie gives itself plenty of time to let these concepts set in; best to not overwhelm the audience. In that, I'd say the movie is "classically" Japanese paced (what a relief!).

All of the story elements are wrapped up in anime form, of course, which lends itself well to this movie. The main character's mental isolation couldn't have been better portrayed by any other concept -- I expected it after reading the manga, but I wasn't expecting how well it was implemented. This isn't a rolling art gallery, but every frame is crafted very well, utilizing negative space to portray isolation.

Easily one of the best dramas I've seen in a long time. I'd recommend to anyone.

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #21,144 of 24,649
Blade Runner: The final cut (1982) - 4/10

Sorry, but I couldn't stand this movie. Found it very dull, not entertaining or all that interesting to watch.
I really couldn't get into the story or care about any of it's characters. My brain was just pretty much on hold the entire movie.
Maybe if I watched this in 1982 i'd be more impressed with the visual effects.

For me the only decent parts were in the last 10 minutes.

Strangely I would give it's sequel a 10/10 and i've seen it 3 times at the theater.
There are a lot of similarities in it to the original.

Black Hawk Down - 9/10

This was way better than I remember. What's annoying though is that if you over analyze this movie it somehow seems worse in your brain.
For example, some say they portrayed the people of Somalia too negatively or will make some political statement about the movie etc.
As an action movie it's pretty good. I actually think it's better than something like "Saving Private Ryan".

The Rainmaker - 5/10

One of the few legal dramas I didn't really like at all.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #21,145 of 24,649
Spiderman - Homecoming 3/10
Why do they keep re-inventing this character?
Each iteration is worse than the preceding one.

Jupiter Ascending 6/10
passable sci-fi

Wonder Woman 7/10
Reasonable.
I usually don't like DC filma except the first 4 Supermans.
Yep no marvel here.......

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #21,146 of 24,649
Blade Runner: The final cut (1982) - 4/10

Sorry, but I couldn't stand this movie. Found it very dull, not entertaining or all that interesting to watch.
I really couldn't get into the story or care about any of it's characters. My brain was just pretty much on hold the entire movie.
Maybe if I watched this in 1982 i'd be more impressed with the visual effects.

For me the only decent parts were in the last 10 minutes.

Strangely I would give it's sequel a 10/10 and i've seen it 3 times at the theater.
There are a lot of similarities in it to the original.

The only decent parts were in the last 10 minutes?! The atmosphere and world-building alone are second-to-none, but I revel in every aspect of this film, from start to finish. In fact, it's one of the few films where I actually prefer the film to the book; PKD's novella is too focused on the ownership of synthetic animals as a measure of social status, and the story isn't as taut. The screenwriters took the essence of the book and made something much stronger; it's sci-fi perfection IMO. Going to see 2049 tonight and it's got a lot to live up to. It doesn't surprise me to hear it has a lot of similarities with the original, that's just a measure of how iconic the first film was - I'm expecting a bit of TFA thing: solid film, that pays almost obsequious homage to its progenitor.

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #21,147 of 24,649
images.jpg Lost Horizon 12.jpg

1937s Lost Horizon 8-10

Saw the 1973 remake as a kid and never forgot the story. I always knew there was an original and was finally able to see the movie. Interestingly about a 1/2 hour was lost of the original but they found a 16mm copy to recombine most of the lost footage. Finding a complete audio track we still know today that around 7 minutes is still missing. The Sony reconstruction has the complete soundtrack with the 7 minutes filled in with still frames which is a nice effort.

This movie has a message and is worth seeing just to see the sets and costumes.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #21,148 of 24,649
The only decent parts were in the last 10 minutes?! The atmosphere and world-building alone are second-to-none, but I revel in every aspect of this film, from start to finish. In fact, it's one of the few films where I actually prefer the film to the book; PKD's novella is too focused on the ownership of synthetic animals as a measure of social status, and the story isn't as taut. The screenwriters took the essence of the book and made something much stronger; it's sci-fi perfection IMO. Going to see 2049 tonight and it's got a lot to live up to. It doesn't surprise me to hear it has a lot of similarities with the original, that's just a measure of how iconic the first film was - I'm expecting a bit of TFA thing: solid film, that pays almost obsequious homage to its progenitor.

Anxious to see you review 2049. Villeneuve did a smart thing by recruiting Ridley to produce so he had a good reference for the atmosphere.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #21,149 of 24,649
Anxious to see you review 2049. Villeneuve did a smart thing by recruiting Ridley to produce so he had a good reference for the atmosphere.

Here we go then!

Blade Runner 2049 - 7/10

Good... but not great. It's tempting to rate this higher for the cinematography alone, which is nothing short of spectacular, but there are other issues holding it back for me. Visually, it's a feast, with brilliant effects and one stunning set after another; the ruins of Las Vegas being perhaps one of the most iconic images and something all of its own making. The DOP is smart in echoing the blueprint of the original film, rather than outright copying it, which would have been an easy trap to fall into. Sonically, it's less convincing - while I like Zimmer's score and the way he echoes Vangelis while creating something distinctly his own, the dynamic range is crazy - it's unbearably loud in places.

My main issue with the film isn't on a technical level though - I think it largely succeeds there - it's more down to the linearity of the plot and how it long it takes to get where it's going. The pacing is glacial and at times feels like it's moving in slow motion; the extended run time doesn't really seem warranted by the story it has to tell, which is a simple tale of lineage when you boil it down. It feels a bit like it's spoon-feeding the audience too; I'm never a fan of the kind of exposition that consists of relaying snippets of dialogue that were heard only half an hour earlier, as if they were going through the protagonist's head on his way to a revelation. I've always felt it's a clunky narrative device and this is no exception.

In terms of the acting, playing a replicant is probably the perfect role for Ryan Gosling and he does a decent job. Jared Leto is the biggest letdown, as Wallace is neither menacing nor mystical, just weird - and not in a good way. Fortunately his screen time is very limited. The inclusion of an old and weary Gaff adds to the general sense of lassitude the film exudes, often feeling a bit like the morning after the party. Villeneuve has pulled off a neat trick here in brilliantly capturing the look, and even the atmosphere of the original film without aping it, but the characters and the story are somewhat lacking, especially given how long it is. The whole replicant army thing feels a bit 'typical sci-fi blockbuster', with one eye firmly fixed on the box office and of course, the inevitable next installment in the franchise.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #21,150 of 24,649
Spot on there. Really it would have been so easy to cut at least a half hour out of that film. Wallace would have been a more interesting device had he been treated as "The man behind the curtain" and not seen only heard in giving directives to his minions. I also think exposing Gosling as a replicant right up front was a mistake.

And dear god what is the issue these days with soundtracks pegging the meter at 11?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back