Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #21,046 of 24,651
Sep 30, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #21,047 of 24,651
The Secret Garden - 10/10 (1993)

One of the best movies i've seen this year I think and it's only rated "G"!

I also watched "Cast Away" again. It's one of my favorite movies but the scenes on the island are kind of disappointing and seem very fake.
What I like most about it is the last half hour or so.

BTW the tooth extraction scene gave me nightmares! Not even kidding!
When I watch that scene I feel a pain in my legs but yet I always find it funny for some reason. Poor guy.

The Walking Dead Season 7 - 7/10

Sorry, I know it's not a movie, but close enough for me. This is easily the worst season but I still liked it.
The entire season is also so filler filled and seems to not go anywhere most of the time. After each episode you are not really in a hurry to see what happens next. That's very rare for this show.

It's basically just an intro for them getting ready to take on Negan.
So many episodes seemed pointless. Oh and despite episode 1 this season wasn't as gory as most of them.
My favorite episode was "Say Yes" (where Michonne and Rick are at a fair taken over by walkers).

PS Negan is easily one of their worst characters. His long winded conversations were almost fast forward material for me.
Also, you couldn't pay me to watch Episode 1 again. Almost totally ruined the entire walking dead series for good.
Who wants to see their favorite characters head bashed in to a pulp?!

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #21,049 of 24,651
MISERY-9/10-Rewatched this old classic
THE BLUE MAX-8.5/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060177/
OOOOH, The Blue Max is an awesome First World War film. Peppard and Andress were never better. Jeremy Kemp turns in a stellar performance as Peppards foil.mentor.

Waaaaay back when that film and Night of the Generals were used to illustrate management and personality types in business school.

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #21,051 of 24,651
Ill check night of the generals out-u seen paths of glory?

Sure have, interesting story behind that one as well as Douglas re teamed up with "the nicest tyrant he ever knew" to make a film both of them figured nobody wanted to see.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #21,052 of 24,651
Infinity Chamber (2016) 7.5/10

I really wanted to give this one an 8, but it drags and suffers from lack of editing skills. Man trapped in a high tech prison room with only a computer watchdog to interact with goes through several iterations of memory recall attempting to figure out what, why and how he got there. Intriguing one man, one set show that makes the most of a confined space drama.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #21,053 of 24,651
Memphis Belle - 7/10

The scenes on the base are terrible and just a waste of time. They acted like kids and people who I could never take seriously. I would not trust them to help keep me safe during war.
Why are all scenes like this just them hanging out in bars trying to get dates and acting stupid? This is what I disliked about "From Here to Eternity".
I guess I can understand why they did this. Maybe I would to. Not much else to do while waiting to be sent off to war.

Anyway, the movie after this is ALL inside a B-17 bomber. I don't know if it's very realistic, but this is the only reason to watch the movie. I did feel like I was there.
Too bad that the acting is pretty terrible. A much better movie is "30 seconds over Tokyo" or even "Air Force".

U-571 - 6.5/10

Hard to believe I once gave this a pretty high score I think. This time around I found it barely worth watching.

Nightcrawler - 7/10

One of the creepiest movie characters i've seen in years. Jake Gyllenhaal was the only good thing about this really.
I felt really bad about his "employee" that he only paid $30 per night.

The ending kind of ruined it. The movie is not entertaining and not suspenseful.
The only very good sequences are when he films that home invasion and then calls in the location of the killers.

Got this for $4 used and wish I had skipped it!

PS I thought this would be more disturbing or graphic than it was. Glad it wasn't.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #21,054 of 24,651
Memphis Belle - 7/10

The scenes on the base are terrible and just a waste of time. They acted like kids and people who I could never take seriously. I would not trust them to help keep me safe during war.
Why are all scenes like this just them hanging out in bars trying to get dates and acting stupid? This is what I disliked about "From Here to Eternity".
I guess I can understand why they did this. Maybe I would to. Not much else to do while waiting to be sent off to war.

Anyway, the movie after this is ALL inside a B-17 bomber. I don't know if it's very realistic, but this is the only reason to watch the movie. I did feel like I was there.
Too bad that the acting is pretty terrible. A much better movie is "30 seconds over Tokyo" or even "Air Force".

U-571 - 6.5/10

Hard to believe I once gave this a pretty high score I think. This time around I found it barely worth watching.

Nightcrawler - 7/10

One of the creepiest movie characters i've seen in years. Jake Gyllenhaal was the only good thing about this really.
I felt really bad about his "employee" that he only paid $30 per night.

The ending kind of ruined it. The movie is not entertaining and not suspenseful.
The only very good sequences are when he films that home invasion and then calls in the location of the killers.

Got this for $4 used and wish I had skipped it!

PS I thought this would be more disturbing or graphic than it was. Glad it wasn't.

Memphis Belle was produced by William Wylers daughter. I mention this because both Wyler and John Sturgess (Great Escape, Ice Station Zebra) were commissioned during the second world war to make documentary films as they happened. As the Belle was the first 17 to complete a tour with the crew not dying it became their project. They developed the cameras mounted on the aircraft and flew with and documented the crew's final mission. It can be seen as "Memphis Belle: The story of a Flying Fortress" and it will give you a whole new perspective on the event. Similarly if you can find it the same team did "Thinderbolt" about a squadron of the same name in Italy and given much the same treatment. In a lot of ways the two films show just how perverted hollywhore is when treating factual events.

As for U 571. Travesty, simply pure travesty attempting to rewrite history to an american agenda. Nothing in that film actually ever happened and it does an extreme disservice to those who actually mounted the missions that captured Enigma encoders, none of which were american.

Want to see something that will nail home the tragedy of the american experience. Pick up or dl a copy of Legion of Brothers. A CNN documentary that will make one re examine the last 16 years of "history"

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #21,055 of 24,651
While it´s totally silly I don´t think it hurt U-571 as an action movie. Submarines is top secret afterall it´s not like we will never get the true story and real conversations on the boat etc. In this way it´s more honest everybody understand it´s a hoax story from the get go. They could still make a ton of stuff up even if they claim their american actors are british which is also a hoax :D

Oct 8, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #21,057 of 24,651
Watched a bunch of films round a friend's place yesterday:

The Man From Earth - 2/10

The kind of film you make when you have no budget, but the people-sat-around-talking-in-one-room-for-the-duration type movie requires great acting chops and writing of the highest calibre to pull it off. Beckett this ain't. Poorly shot and edited and incongruously scored to boot.

Under the Shadow - 7/10

A cut above supernatural thriller set against the backdrop of the Iran-Iraq conflict at the end of the 80s. Shades of The Babadook, in that the whole film could easily be read metaphorically, and probably should be - still functions as an effectively creepy ghost story though, for anyone to determined not to read too much into it.

Dead Man's Shoes - 8/10

A great introduction to the films of Shane Meadows, and still one of my favourites. It's a really unique slice of dark-side rural England which is by turns comic and tragic, with some great naturalistic acting and a really well-written script. Surprisingly good turn from ex-boxer Gary Stretch too in the role of Sonny!

Law Abiding Citizen - 5/10

Typical Hollywood fodder. What starts out as a potentially interesting miscarriage of justice story devolves into a silly OTT actioner, completely losing the plot down the rabbit hole of massive implausibility in the last third of the movie and ending on a cloyingly sentimental note.

Green Room - 5/10

An admirably nasty little thriller that pulls no punches, but ultimately felt a bit pointless. I think I was hoping it would go in a more interesting direction as the mystery of the apparent right-wing cult is unfurled, but it ends up being just another teens-in-peril film with a fairly mundane back story.

The Girl With All the Gifts - 6/10

Could have been better. I really like the spin on the zombie genre, having the infection be a fungus which controls the mind of its host - there's a parallel in nature, with the Cordyceps, which causes infected ants to climb zombie-like to a high point before the fungi bursts out of its body, releasing spores. I just don't think the 'hungries' are convincingly scary though; there's always too much of an 'aww isn't she cute' aura around Melanie, even when she's tucking into cats and pigeons like a wild beast. There're also some unintentionally comic moments, particularly the final scene, which just didn't work for me. Some good ideas at the heart of this, but it doesn't realize them fully for the most part.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #21,058 of 24,651
maxresdefault.jpg

An original light somehow shines within this non-stop present day crime/comedy. Can't imagine the movie without the soundtrack. 10-10

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #21,059 of 24,651

7-10

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #21,060 of 24,651

An original light somehow shines within this non-stop present day crime/comedy. Can't imagine the movie without the soundtrack. 10-10
I thought it was pretty bad. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back