Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 30, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #20,191 of 24,669
  The 100 Year Old Man who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared - 4/10

Easily one of the worst movies i've seen in at least 10 years. I really can't think of anything more horrible than this movie.
Every scene is so random and pointless. Reminded me of Forest Gump meets Dumb and Dumber/Benjamin Button/Bad Grandpa.
It also has some pretty unfunny comedy. People were dying in the movie in horrible ways and I think they were intended to be funny scenes.
I'm sure you could make things like that funny, but not here. I guess this is supposed to be a comedy?

I've read this was a best selling book in Sweden and did very well at the box office. Hard to believe!

I have a movie tip for you http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080728/?ref_=nv_sr_1. If you believe in second chances lol

Watched Assassins Creed

7/10. Might been lower if I hasn´t played most of the games but there was a lot of recognizability and great scenery and the best excuse for CGI ever. That the protagonist is not that much of a character is kind of a problem in the movies as well if you care about that but it´s fine. It´s like it´s supposed to. They could have based it around Ezio he was flirting around a bit with the ladies :wink:

Some may be surprised they took a male "hero" over a female one though the big majority was males.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #20,193 of 24,669
Silence ( 2017) 9/10

As with many Martin Scorsese's films I couldn't identify its moral message. Was it a parody on Christianity or was it sympathetic but somewhat controversial presentation of the Christian faith? Because it felt like both at the same time. With all their cruelty Japanese who were fighting with christian missionaries were looking better and more sober than somewhat idiotically fanatic Jesuits. So you don't really know with which side Scorsese wants you to relate: with Jesuits or with their antagonists. So people belonging to opposite camps will find a special nod from the director towards their views. In the same manner you don't know how to treat bad protagonists in his previous movies because Scorsese shows admiration towards their charisma.

The Great Wall ( 2017) 7/10

Produced by Hollywood's company now owned by Chinese Wanda Group and with main Chinese theme. Previous movie of the same company was Warcraft which did poorly in USA but which had great success in China. So the Great Wall somewhat reminds Warcraft as if it aims the same target audience. Could be described as guilty pleasure - a pop corn spectacle. With a budget of $150 million it is too expensive to rely on Chinese market exclusively.

Matt Damon is a protagonist of the movie which will broaden an audience of the film in the world.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #20,194 of 24,669
Arrival, fantastic movie. Some might see it as slow or boring, but I was sucked in the whole way though. It's a smart, patient film with a great twist, and I'll want to watch it again. If you can still see it at a theatre, do so. 8.5/10

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #20,195 of 24,669

The Final - 2/10

Moronic revenge of the nerds scenario without an original frame in its 1 1/2 hour run time. At one point it shamelessly rips off Audition with a virtually frame for frame recreation of the acupuncture scene. The rest of the time it's hammering home its point about the victimized becoming the monsters with all the finesse of a 10 pound lump hammer. This one calls for a

Avoid like the proverbial.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #20,196 of 24,669
The Bottom of the World (2017)  5/10

Director Sears attempts to make a Lynch film and only gets halfway there. The final reveal becomes a letdown after the obtuse exposition of the rest of the film has you expecting something really clever. What you get is a groaner that leaves you thinking had you known, you would have taken a pass on this one. Too many missed opportunity's to really clean this one up get missed by the writers and director and the end result is rather amateurish in execution. The washed out scenery juxtaposed with stark modern and neon really do nothing to bring any kind of atmosphere. It comes off as a "Lets try this for this scene" experiment. Characterizations are pretty deadpan as well and you are getting none of the skills the name brand actors possess in this one.

Wait for it to hit TV, most likely within 90days.......or sooner.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #20,197 of 24,669
  The Bottom of the World (2017)  5/10

Director Sears attempts to make a Lynch film and only gets halfway there. The final reveal becomes a letdown after the obtuse exposition of the rest of the film has you expecting something really clever. What you get is a groaner that leaves you thinking had you known, you would have taken a pass on this one. Too many missed opportunity's to really clean this one up get missed by the writers and director and the end result is rather amateurish in execution. The washed out scenery juxtaposed with stark modern and neon really do nothing to bring any kind of atmosphere. It comes off as a "Lets try this for this scene" experiment. Characterizations are pretty deadpan as well and you are getting none of the skills the name brand actors possess in this one.

Wait for it to hit TV, most likely within 90days.......or sooner.

More like bottom of the barrel eh?
rolleyes.gif
 Judging by the post titles in the Message Boards for this movie, I'd hazard a guess the target demographic is on the young side 
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #20,198 of 24,669

More like bottom of the barrel eh?
rolleyes.gif
 Judging by the post titles in the Message Boards for this movie, I'd hazard a guess the target demographic is on the young side 
wink_face.gif

Or "David Lynch for Dummies" crowd.  The premise has been done better before so it may well be that the under 18 crowd was the target. I should probably have rated it lower but Jena Malone slinking around looking very Kidmanesque kept me going. Thats not really a reason to hang in there for this one though.

Or it may just be the director abusing the punishment theme by extending it to the audience:wink:

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #20,201 of 24,669

After Hours - 7/10

I'm not sure why this film has fallen into such relative obscurity. It's a very entertaining, if somewhat contrived comedy of errors that isn't quite like any of Scorsese's other films. The print I watched was pretty scuzzy, riddled with scratches and blemishes, but that didn't spoil the enjoyment of it. Griffin Dunne, who according to Scorsese's own notes, first caught his eye in a minor role in American Werewolf, plays Paul Hackett, a lowly office worker who meets a girl in a coffee shop, arranges to go to her place later that night and gets caught up in a series of misadventures on the wrong side of town. After things don't work out with Marcy (Rosanna Arquette), all he wants to do is get home but circumstances contrive to prevent him at every turn. Part romance, part offbeat comedy, it features some witty dialogue, bizarre characters and situations, and always manages to stay a step ahead of the audience. A minor work by Scorsese's standards, but worth seeking out.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #20,202 of 24,669
The Grand Budapest Hotel 10/10

This film is the most enjoyable movie I've ever seen. I love every aspect of it, everything is interesting. The performances are fantastic, the editing and cinematography are awesome, the story is clever, fast paced and suspenseful. This is my perfect film. It is my favorite movie.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #20,203 of 24,669
The Accountant - 7/10

Went way downhill when Raymond (JK Simmons) started telling his story. I think this was about 60-70% of the way through.
It's almost as if they switched directors or something. Not sure what happened, but it just got ridiculous towards the end.

First part of the movie I really liked a LOT, but it's just too bad it just totally fell apart at the end.
It's not terrible and worth a rental.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #20,204 of 24,669

End of PMs and Message Boards on IMDb.

Say what?

Ah, I see what you're referring to now: http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement. That had completely passed me by. To be honest, I rarely read those boards, usually only as a source of amusement since they always seem to devolve into mud-flinging and pissing contests in short order. I guess IMDb decided it was a waste of time. Understandable really, but a bit of a sad reflection on the general level of maturity on the user base.

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #20,205 of 24,669
Ah, I see what you're referring to now: http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement. That had completely passed me by. To be honest, I rarely read those boards, usually only as a source of amusement since they always seem to devolve into mud-flinging and pissing contests in short order. I guess IMDb decided it was a waste of time. Understandable really, but a bit of a sad reflection on the general level of maturity on the user base.

Can't agree more.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back