Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 28, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #18,616 of 24,644
Hyena Road.    (2015)              6/10

Gritted teeth here. From Director / Actor Paul Gross comes yet another film with remarkably high potential, hamstrung with Cameronitis. The urge to put some kind of human interest tearjerker / love story into what could have been THE hardcore Afghanistan film spoils the films integrity and pushes it from Big Screen awesome to tv fare. This one covers the complexity of warfare in the Afghan like no other, but bogs itself down in its own sentiment obfuscating the overall message. A good editor would have locked Gross out of the room and done away with the personal interest nonsense and released a film which would have become the darling of the international film festival circuit. This film, like Canadians themselves cries out to be liked and makes itself annoying in the process.

It is worth the watch if you can stomach the (maple) syrupy subplotting.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #18,617 of 24,644
Jan 28, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #18,618 of 24,644
Here's another one, from my mate's blog: http://okhowmuchfortheape.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/the-revenant.html. I still wouldn't mind seeing it at some point, but I don't expect I'll be as gushing about it as some of the reviews I've seen on here. Westerns don't do a lot for me generally; I didn't think Bone Tomahawk was all that either.

Bone tomahawk is on my watch pile. I'm not a big western fan, but there have been some good ones to surprise me over the years.

Good to see people speaking their mind.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #18,619 of 24,644
Bone tomahawk is on my watch pile. I'm not a big western fan, but there have been some good ones to surprise me over the years.

Good to see people speaking their mind.

Unless you are a big fan of gore this is an easilly missed one.

I will try Far from Men http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2936180/?ref_=nv_sr_3

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #18,620 of 24,644
This is the first negative I have seen someone be.

For an Oscar favorite The Revenant has a score on Rotten Tomatoes of 82% which is significantly lower than any of the competitors. The second lowest goes The Big Short 88%. Others are above 90% and with little serious criticisms from critics while The Revenant received comparatively many rotten reviews.

Compare it with Mad Max ( fresh 324, rotten 10) 97%.
The Revenant ( fresh 212, rotten 45) 82%

The problem with Mad Max is that it is an epitome of a pop-corn style-over-substance blockbuster - the industry which kills national thoughtful cinema around the world. The Revenant fits into serious art-house category though the story is not on par with aesthetics ( still pros outweigh cons). Not sure what "a melodramatic pseudo-comedy" The Martian lost among nominees, doesn't deserve to be there. The Big Short is more journalism than a movie. Bridge of Spies is just a reminder that Spielberg is still there and not on pension leave. There are 3 films left which I've not seen yet: Brooklyn, Room and Spotlight. Spotlight looks like an Oscar bait from description.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #18,621 of 24,644
The Hateful Eight - 9/10

Another excellent movie from Tarantino. But as always, being a Tarantino movie it's not for everyone. Only watch if you are familiar and enjoy the style of Tarantino movies, specifically Kill Bill.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #18,622 of 24,644
Glad you could relate to my twisted theory! Yes, that is the best question. I figure he should stay with his recycled rendition of Blackspoitation and do a remake of Planet of the Apes and make it a sick comedy ala Roger Corman. Gory and racist studies the general public seems to like?

I wonder if the "general public" likes it because it's flashy? It's hard to say. Yet, this chain of thought reminds me when I wrote a paper analyzing existentialism in "Pulp Fiction".
 If I bothered to read it now I would probably cringe a little.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 7/10

As a paint-by-numbers work designed by committee and directed by Mr. Lens Flare himself, I think that it's a good try. I'm hopeful for the next installation, but at the same time I have no reason to watch it again. I can pretty much recite the plot points in my sleep after seeing it once and I made the effort to not read a single review on the movie. And srsly, Rey is OP. Must be haxxing.

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #18,623 of 24,644
  Star Wars: The Force Awakens 2/10

Overly copied from all the previous series. Millenium Falcon? Death Star Part 3? First planet similar to Tatooine again? Droid entrusted with holding some secret? Reactor scene with a father trying to convert the son on a precarious ledge? Seriously I could go on forever.

OP flying scenes and ultra fake physics. The scene at the forest planet with the Rebel fighter shooting down like 10 Tie Fighters in a row making all sorts of crazy movements made me cringe so much.

Kylo Ren is a terrible villain that's the furthest thing from a bad guy. He's such a joke really.

The new music evokes no emotion in me I'm sorry.

A new canon that invalidates nearly everything. Nuff said.

And a whole lot more wrong with the show.

good to hear, I dunno I've not seen the new Star Wars movie... to much positive feed back makes me think... well it's all fanservice. Good to see some negative points, to give me a realistic perspective 

The Hateful Eight - 9/10

Another excellent movie from Tarantino. But as always, being a Tarantino movie it's not for everyone. Only watch if you are familiar and enjoy the style of Tarantino movies, specifically Kill Bill.

Really need to see this one, I've always enjoyed his movies 

For an Oscar favorite The Revenant has a score on Rotten Tomatoes of 82% which is significantly lower than any of the competitors. The second lowest goes The Big Short 88%. Others are above 90% and with little serious criticisms from critics while The Revenant received comparatively many rotten reviews.

Compare it with Mad Max ( fresh 324, rotten 10) 97%.
The Revenant ( fresh 212, rotten 45) 82%

The problem with Mad Max is that it is an epitome of a pop-corn style-over-substance blockbuster - the industry which kills national thoughtful cinema around the world. The Revenant fits into serious art-house category though the story is not on par with aesthetics ( still pros outweigh cons). Not sure what "a melodramatic pseudo-comedy" The Martian lost among nominees, doesn't deserve to be there. The Big Short is more journalism than a movie. Bridge of Spies is just a reminder that Spielberg is still there and not on pension leave. There are 3 films left which I've not seen yet: Brooklyn, Room and Spotlight. Spotlight looks like an Oscar bait from description.

I have mixed feeling with that statement lol, something like Transformers is... what I'd consider the Epitome of pop corn over the top thoughtless cinema. Mad Max is however... it has the retro theme... I only wish it had less words, but there are not a lot of movies that do explosions as awesomely as Mad Max did... going back to Micheal Bay... his movies are... just in bad taste imo, pure thoughtless destruction for the sake of it, how ever with Mad Max I believe almost all those cars were actually hand built before they were completely rekt'd 

I'd also like to say that reading some of the articles surrounding the background and shooting of Mad Max is very interesting! It's the most artfully crafted over the Thoughtless Cinema lol, not just a slap ass quickie, like pretty much everything Micheal Bay does 

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #18,624 of 24,644
Terminus (2015)            7/10

Worth a look at, slow paced under budgeted 70's style end of the world drama. Takes a decent shot at current events and winds up with a fair enough ending for the genre. If you go in not expecting much you will be entertained. My weakness for the genre most likely makes me rate this higher than most would.

A good cable watch.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #18,626 of 24,644
Bridge of Spies - 7/10
It didn't quite have me by the edge of my seat, but entertaining nevertheless.

Steve Jobs - 8/10 
Michael and Kate, wow.. Amazing performances.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #18,627 of 24,644
Fathers & Daughters - 3/10. Just a horrible way to play on people's emotions. Manipulative and melodramatic.

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #18,628 of 24,644
Far from Men.

3/10. A real snooze party.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #18,629 of 24,644
  Terminus (2015)            7/10

Worth a look at, slow paced under budgeted 70's style end of the world drama. Takes a decent shot at current events and winds up with a fair enough ending for the genre. If you go in not expecting much you will be entertained. My weakness for the genre most likely makes me rate this higher than most would.

A good cable watch.

Have just watched it, such a damn good film IMO. I didn't expect anything out of it, which might be why I was so mesmerized and blown away.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #18,630 of 24,644

Have just watched it, such a damn good film IMO. I didn't expect anything out of it, which might be why I was so mesmerized and blown away.

I think what I really liked about it was it did not over reach as a lot of low buck scifiers do. It stayed well within it's limits and budget and was quite entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back