Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 18, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #16,786 of 24,651
I'm not.  And yeah, revenue.  Do what you can in tough times.  Gas and tobacco prices these days... alcohol has remained the same for many years, though.  Good news for me.

According to a survey conducted in 1944, the number of smokers increased in the Wehrmacht, but average tobacco consumption per military personnel declined by 23.4% compared to the immediate pre-World War II years. The number of people who smoked 30 or more cigarettes per day declined from 4.4% to 0.3%.[6]

Somewhat effective campaign.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #16,787 of 24,651
  I'm not.  And yeah, revenue.  Do what you can in tough times.  Gas and tobacco prices these days... alcohol has remained the same for many years, though.  Good news for me.

Somewhat effective campaign.

Or not. In 1945 the German army was decimated and relying on pre teens to fill its ranks. Not surprising the number of smokers went down.

Alcohol prices up here have become downright userous. Thank god I don't drink.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #16,788 of 24,651
Gas prices are high too compared to down here.  Health care...?

I said somewhat.  Alright, enough of this.  Back to movies.  Sorry everyone.

I watched Django last night.  The wrist pistols for the win.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #16,791 of 24,651
Can anyone recommend a movie that's similar to The Grand Budapest Hotel in term of tone and acting? I've grown to admire Ralph Fiennes since The English Patient, but this is something different.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #16,792 of 24,651
Hundred Foot Journey. Wow, boring. Tried, but done at 2/3rds through.  Don't even care what happens in the end.

Grand Budapest Hotel is in a class of its own right now.  For me.  Nothing like it I can think of.

I'll remember it forever.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #16,795 of 24,651
  Hundred Foot Journey. Wow, boring. Tried, but done at 2/3rds through.  Don't even care what happens in the end.

Grand Budapest Hotel is in a class of its own right now.  For me.  Nothing like it I can think of.

I'll remember it forever.

Strange. Loved Hundred Foot Journey and even took my mom to see it and she liked it too. It's basically a good popcorn movie and nothing too deep, but I really enjoyed every minute of it.

Grand Budapest Hotel bored me to tears. Characters are very dull and feels like i'm just watching a movie for it's nice set designs and that's it. Brain was on hold the whole time since none of the characters felt realistic. Cardboard characters as they say.
Somehow I liked "Moonrise Kingdom" and had hoped this was an even bigger improvement. I guess Wes Anderson films are just not for me.

Your opinion is kind of like what I think of Interstellar. I think it's one of the best movies in maybe 20 years and other people are like "Huh?". Heck, I saw it 10 times! Crazy! Even the best movies rarely get a 2nd viewing at the theater by me.

Most boring movie in the last few months  at the theater was easily "Unbroken". Very hard to endure and not because of the subject matter! It seems if a movie activates my brain cells a little i'm rarely bored. If I don't find the characters very interesting I tend to dislike the movie.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #16,796 of 24,651
  Can anyone recommend a movie that's similar to The Grand Budapest Hotel in term of tone and acting? I've grown to admire Ralph Fiennes since The English Patient, but this is something different.

I was thinking maybe some of the films of Aki Kaurismaki. Of course i've only seen two of his movies. "Man without a past" was good, but "Shadows in Paradise" not so much...

BTW has anyone seen "Schultze Gets the Blues"? That's been stuck in my brain for the last 10 years. It's one of those you really need to finish to appreciate. Many won't be able to sit through it.

Slowest moving films i've ever seen are from Tsai Ming-liang or Hou Hsiao-Hsien.

"Flowers of Shanghai" makes Ozu movies look like a thrill ride!

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #16,797 of 24,651

The East: 7/10. A thrilling political thriller, recommended without hesitation.

I gave it 7 not because it is 'bad', but because I think there are some aspects that would benefit from more work/budget. If I am less nit-picky, I'd give it 8.5/10. Oh and one of the producers is Ridley Scott!

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #16,798 of 24,651

I was thinking maybe some of the films of Aki Kaurismaki. Of course i've only seen two of his movies. "Man without a past" was good, but "Shadows in Paradise" not so much...

BTW has anyone seen "Schultze Gets the Blues"? That's been stuck in my brain for the last 10 years. It's one of those you really need to finish to appreciate. Many won't be able to sit through it.

Slowest moving films i've ever seen are from Tsai Ming-liang or Hou Hsiao-Hsien.

"Flowers of Shanghai" makes Ozu movies look like a thrill ride!

I should really get around and watch some of Kaurismäki's movies. He's the only highly regarded movie director from around here.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #16,800 of 24,651
Guys thanks for your recommendation. 

Whiplash ( 2014) 8.2/10

"No pain, no gain"

A religious enlightening story about how an austere guru led his diligent celibate disciple to transcendental experience.

It's  a bit frustrating at the end. I didn't enjoy it quite much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back