Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #16,276 of 24,690
C'mon guys get in the Hollywhore spirit. Think of it as a 2 hour trailer for Part 2:)

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #16,278 of 24,690
  C'mon guys get in the Hollywhore spirit. Think of it as a 2 hour trailer for Part 2:)

Th
Well that makes it much much more pathetic!

And I'm still excited to see the Hobbit - Part 3... part 1  
size]

​I must be a glutton for punishment.  

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #16,279 of 24,690
Is mocking jay 3h? And it´s one book split in two? Wouldn´t Hollywood make more money by shorting movies so the cinemas have time for more showings instead? 

And why not do a trilogy. It´s the classical way to do things... A beginning a middle act and a final?

Doesn´t make sense. I can see splitting in two make more money but why the length if it makes for a less enjoyable movie that less will see?

I will probably going to have to see Hobbit 3 anyway. They do have some production values at least. Smaug was the only real thing I enjoyed out of Hobbit 2 and I can´t see how the next would be that much better.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #16,280 of 24,690
The Hobbits are terrible. I can't imagine what happened between them and the fantastic LOTR, that resulted to the crap they put out.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #16,281 of 24,690
Prequels rarely make much sense to me.
I saw snowpiercier recently, captain america takes the train and therefore the world 9/10

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #16,282 of 24,690
  Prequels rarely make much sense to me.
I saw snowpiercier recently, captain america takes the train and therefore the world 9/10

The human torch on ice, what could be better than that
confused.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #16,288 of 24,690
  Kaguyahime no monogatari (Dir: Isao Takahata)

Isao Takahata, one of the founder's of Studio Ghibli, ends his career with a rather faithful adaptation of the 10th century folktale.  Like my favorite of his (Only Yesterday) it deals with the main character having to lose or suppress part of herself to fit in with society.  Her growth and emotional maturity is shown in the utmost care and nuance, so much that the supernatural part of the story felt a bit jarring next to the emotional realism at the heart of the film.  The art is entirely hand-drawn in a pastel-water color style with thick brushstroke lines, needless to say it's gorgeous and suits the content perfectly.  There are a couple of jaw-dropping dream sequences that uses this type of art to great effect.  Takahata tends to add fantasy/dream scenes to his otherwise realistic settings (see Anne of Green Gables, Only Yesterday, Grave of the Fireflies), with some of the best examples here.

Thank you for this.
Into my watchlist it goes.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #16,290 of 24,690
St. Vincent (2014): 7/10

Sentimental, poorly-plotted, feel-good fluff almost wholly redeemed by Bill Murray's presence and generally amusing performances all around.

Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010): 8/10

Werner Herzog narrated, produced, and edited this lovely little documentary, and it's every bit as mesmerizing as such credits would lead you to expect.

Locke (2013): 8/10

A gimmick flick to be sure, but one that pays off incredibly well, thanks to great editing and pacing, a weird performance by Tom Hardy, and some pretty darn fine comedy. Yep, comedy!

A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014): 6/10

Liam Neeson acts gruff and kills some dudes real good. Wait, haven't we seen this before? To this film's credit, he sort of kills less dudes than he normally does, and manages to be more interesting than he typically is in the meantime. Stylish and entertaining (and occasionally quite disturbing), but too formulaic to be of much note.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (2014): 6/10

And so the only worthwhile teen film series of note since Harry Potter finally stumbles--though to be fair, Harry Potter stumbled fairly significantly in Part 1 of its final chapter, as well. Mockingjay Part 1 is, as expected, an incomplete film. Its graceless division into two films for the sake of profit and pleasing the hardcore fans leaves the film without a satisfactory arc. All set-up and no payoff makes for a largely dull and strained experience (especially in the first half of the film), which the awful pacing and bleak tone don't help. Gone is the excitement of the previous entries, and the most colorful characters are reduced to cameos and largely stripped of their defining traits. Jennifer Lawrence is left to shoulder the film basically on her own, and while she's a capable enough actress to pull it off, she works best when she's allowed to exhibit a wide range--her emotionally truncated performance here is ok at best and, alas, laughable at worst. 

All that said, the film is far from incompetently made, and when it works, it works pretty well. A big budget and the presence of some of the finest actors of their respective generations helps (no matter how small their roles) and the film takes care to plant the seeds for what I'm assuming will be quite pleasing revelations in the final film. (I've not read the books, so this last point is guesswork on my part.) All said, it's worth seeing if you've been following the series thus far--assuming that the final film is a significant step up. Here's hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back