Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #16,201 of 24,648
Fury ( 2014) 8.2/10

Action with a soul

I have watched previous David Ayer's movie End of Watch ( 2012) so I was anticipating realistic tough drama mixed with action. Brat Pitt as if revived his role in Glorious Bastards. The movie is more of an action flick rather than a serious observation despite its realistic approach. I would compare it with another quality action film Lone Survivor ( 2013). 

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #16,202 of 24,648
John Wick - 7.5/10. Very entertaining from start to finish.  Keanu does a pretty good job being an assassin.  The action and the direction has substance (redemption) and is refreshing to watch.  It lacks a lot of the corniness from the late 80's/early 90's assassin related flicks. Well worth my 1.5 lunch hour.  Still doesn't top 'Man on Fire', which gets a solid 8/10.  

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #16,203 of 24,648
John Wick - 7.5/10. Very entertaining from start to finish.  Keanu does a pretty good job being an assassin.  The action and the direction has substance (redemption) and is refreshing to watch.  It lacks a lot of the corniness from the late 80's/early 90's assassin related flicks. Well worth my 1.5 lunch hour.  Still doesn't top 'Man on Fire', which gets a solid 8/10.  

I just saw that last weekend as well. A fun shoot-em-up for sure. Nice high body count :wink:

7/10

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #16,204 of 24,648
Interstellar - 10/10

Saw the Imax version last night and was pretty much blown away by this movie. It's not perfect though despite the 10/10 rating and that rating might change on repeat viewings. I think those might be required for me.

When I started watching it I liked it immediately and then at one point I was totally let down and was thinking "Oh great, this is going to be just like Joe Vs the Volcano"! Luckily my like of it kept going up.

Found that there's not a ton of action scenes and fans of the typical Hollywood blockbuster might be bored or think there's too much talking.

Strangely enough I found the Nolan directed Batman movies too dull and kind of boring. The last one was all doom and gloom and not fun at all. Inception's characters were terrible and the entire movie bored me to tears. Obviously I didn't expect much from this movie at all.

The only fault of this movie is that it did try to tackle too much stuff all at once, but I didn't mind at all. Some of the stuff in this movie was a little over my head, but maybe I missed some dialogue.

Nolan's characters in his movies really need more work and in this one he's improved somewhat. Despite "Inception" supposedly being for smarty-pants people, my brain was mostly off during the entire movie. No fault of my own but nothing really made me think or care about what was happening. At least in here there is quite a lot to think about.

Gravity had some action scenes that were so ridiculous and hard to believe, but this one wasn't quite as bad. Maybe one scene towards the end.

I was also a bit disappointed in the visuals. Nothing special at all here and the sounds effects were actually better than the actual visual effects! The Imax version is really not worth it. The movie "Oblivion" had WAAAY better visuals and was capable of wowing you with it's scenery. That movie was also a lot more fun but gave you much less to think about.

Some of the parts of this movie felt like some strange dream. It's kind of hard to describe. There's a few things here and there that confused me but I guess I'll need to watch it a second time.

Oh and I noticed a lot of people in the audience crying! It didn't affect me that much, but maybe a couple times. I guess I didn't care for what happened to the characters as much as I should have. I think it's maybe the director's style?

I wouldn't see this expecting an action film. It's more like "Contact", but with more action. During one part I had this thought that it almost felt like a Hollywood Blockbuster movie directed by Terence Malick! Weird! Of course if that was the case it'd have lots of narration and poetry
normal_smile .gif
I actually would love it if a movie like this did well at the box office. I think it's not a film that everyone will like. Some might hate it.

Oh and 3 hours is too short. Should have been 5 hours! It didn't feel long at all.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #16,206 of 24,648

Nice! Was looking forward to this but forgot about it, back on the radar!

Interstellar - 10/10

Saw the Imax version last night and was pretty much blown away by this movie. It's not perfect though despite the 10/10 rating and that rating might change on repeat viewings. I think those might be required for me.

When I started watching it I liked it immediately and then at one point I was totally let down and was thinking "Oh great, this is going to be just like Joe Vs the Volcano"! Luckily my like of it kept going up.

Found that there's not a ton of action scenes and fans of the typical Hollywood blockbuster might be bored or think there's too much talking.

Strangely enough I found the Nolan directed Batman movies too dull and kind of boring. The last one was all doom and gloom and not fun at all. Inception's characters were terrible and the entire movie bored me to tears. Obviously I didn't expect much from this movie at all.

The only fault of this movie is that it did try to tackle too much stuff all at once, but I didn't mind at all. Some of the stuff in this movie was a little over my head, but maybe I missed some dialogue.

Nolan's characters in his movies really need more work and in this one he's improved somewhat. Despite "Inception" supposedly being for smarty-pants people, my brain was mostly off during the entire movie. No fault of my own but nothing really made me think or care about what was happening. At least in here there is quite a lot to think about.

Gravity had some action scenes that were so ridiculous and hard to believe, but this one wasn't quite as bad. Maybe one scene towards the end.

I was also a bit disappointed in the visuals. Nothing special at all here and the sounds effects were actually better than the actual visual effects! The Imax version is really not worth it. The movie "Oblivion" had WAAAY better visuals and was capable of wowing you with it's scenery. That movie was also a lot more fun but gave you much less to think about.

Some of the parts of this movie felt like some strange dream. It's kind of hard to describe. There's a few things here and there that confused me but I guess I'll need to watch it a second time.

Oh and I noticed a lot of people in the audience crying! It didn't affect me that much, but maybe a couple times. I guess I didn't care for what happened to the characters as much as I should have. I think it's maybe the director's style?

I wouldn't see this expecting an action film. It's more like "Contact", but with more action. During one part I had this thought that it almost felt like a Hollywood Blockbuster movie directed by Terence Malick! Weird! Of course if that was the case it'd have lots of narration and poetry
normal_smile%20.gif
I actually would love it if a movie like this did well at the box office. I think it's not a film that everyone will like. Some might hate it.

Oh and 3 hours is too short. Should have been 5 hours! It didn't feel long at all.

Re: the visuals
An interesting backstory
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #16,207 of 24,648
I also watched Interstellar today.

I have had an absolute poopy luck with movies as of late. Need to stop renting movies on the library just because it´s free but I have found quite som old golden eggs that way too.

Divergence I am not really the target audience I have to admit but a good movie is a good movie I see everything :wink: Based on a hunger games wannabe writer. The premise is about as stupid as it can get with SCi Fi. How somebody with the routine of Kate Winslet would agree to make this movie. But maybe since it has a female heroin that was enough to persuade here for the good cause or something. No character in the movie make any sense because they have nothing to work with and Kate appear as lost as any here :p

1/10

Perfect Sense. This movie make zero sense. Ewan McGregor/and Eva Green?? I don´t quite recall tbh they want a doomsday feel and the music etc and all of the movie was so depressing I candy crushed through 75 %. So I can´t review it more then say if I ever feel I need to commit suicide this is the movie I will start to watch to prepare myself. 

1/10.

Interstellar

8/10

Looks great and have an aura of quality like most Nolans work.  The sound mix was quite weird. Maybe a bad saloon but had the most monotonous bass mat going on even when there was no action scenes that should be toned down quite a bit to not make the sound mix so disjointed. Why not have it more sublimal then so high hertz so it just congests and sounds cheap? Very weird but I suppose they change your state of mind even though it sounds really bad.

As for the story a lot of it doesn´t make sense physics wise etc but it´s just buying in to it then it doesn´t matter. Inception was more logical then this. A lot of existentialism talk but didn´t get booring and there is no crazy religious stuff.  Nolans movies is cold and he is not very good with humans so maybe it could have been better with another director. Some left crying? I have no idea where I was supposed to cry and I heard no sobbing in this theatre lol.

Okay well yes I could see in hindsight where I was supposed to feel with the characters but no Nolan is very bad at this despite the actors minus Matt Damon of course generally do a good job.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #16,209 of 24,648
Interesting. I see Interstellar in our IMAX tomorrow.

http://www.doobybrain.com/2014/11/05/this-is-what-the-70mm-imax-film-reel-looks-like-for-interstellar/

If you see it in Imax don't sit too close like I did.
I was in the 7-8th row.
I made this mistake twice. First time was for "Oblivion" and nearly ruptured my ear drums. This time it wasn't as bad.

Now I see why the seats that are further away are always sold out!

This showing was at 8pm and didn't sell out, but maybe had 75% of the seats taken.

I paid $14 and only improvement I saw was the sound..and yes bigger screen.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #16,210 of 24,648
Even for regular cinema I think sitting at the back give better results. Easier to focus for the eyes you don´t miss what happen on the peripherals of the screen and it´s still plenty big enough even in a non Imax theatre.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #16,211 of 24,648
Interstellar ( 2014) 9/10

<Exceeded my expectations>

Watched it in IMAX. I wish I watched it as it was supposed to be watched - in IMAX theaters which have film ( not digital) projectors. 

I had pretty low expectations about this film. I'm not a fan of comics in general so Nolan's Batman movies left me indifferent. Inception made an impression of an action flick with some clever tricks. All these films were serious but didn't have enough weight. In Interstellar his seriousness found that needed epic scale which created visual and audio powerful experience. Gimmicky plot served as a skeleton of that experience but alone was not that important or deep as it wanted to seem. Pretty much the same could be said about Cuaron's Gravity. It was a great visual experience but plot wise was nothing to write home about. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #16,212 of 24,648
I saw Interstellar again tonight. Luckily I live right next door to an Imax theater and can just walk over.
It actually was even better on the 2nd viewing and I really was surprised how engrossed I was in the movie the entire time.
It doesn't feel like 3 hours at all. I actually think the first part was rushed and should be expanded in the Blu-Ray version.

My only real complaint is that the soundtrack is way overdone in some parts. It's like they just cranked up the loud noises during all the very dramatic scenes.
For example the drone sequence, then several parts towards the end. Maybe it was just my Imax theater being annoying. The more subtle parts that sound like ambient electronica are perfect.

I've noticed for the 2nd time that dialogue in this movie is often hard to hear. Anyone else notice this? This is rare for me and maybe it's due to being in Imax.

I wanted to see the regular version but I missed the showing of it.

I was surprised at how many things I missed the first time around. Much of it due to hard to hear dialogue that sounded muffled.

BTW I think the scenes at Nasa were the worst parts. They keep reminding me of "Joe Vs the Volcano" and are too rushed.
Too much is left unsaid in the first part of the movie. This actually helps it a little, but I wanted more from it. I don't need everything spelled out for me.

Still disappointed in the special effects and picture quality (for Imax). What's with so many shots of the outside of the ship like the wing or whatever. I don't know the budget of the movie. I think I read they tried to make everything as real as possible without excessive special effects. The actual video quality looks more like a good DVD!

The 70mm film version is only playing an hour away. Not sure if it's worth it.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #16,213 of 24,648
It´s not just your theater the mix is crap! 

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #16,215 of 24,648
At the same time it´s kind of to short though some stories is cut off. Guess there will be an extended directors cut version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back