Rate The Last Album You Heard
Sep 26, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #46 of 105
Some albums I've today listened to in their entirety.

Thom Yorke - The Eraser
6.5 out of 10.

Tool - Lateralus
10 out of 10

The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come
9 out of 10

Radiohead - Kid A
10 out of 10

Radiohead - Amnesiac
9.5 out of 10

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #47 of 105
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel "Melt"

7/10 Quite interesting but a bit too pop sounding for my likings.

Riverside - Out of Myself

9/10

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #48 of 105
Stan Ridgway Band - Call Of The Northwest 8.0

Nice thread
smily_headphones1.gif
.. but the most awful album I've ever heard was the Gregorian doing Beatles or something. 10 points for them
smily_headphones1.gif
but no other albums can do that. The grades here are too good. 1 should mean OK and 10 the best ever. With these grades varying from 7-10 mostly, I don't feel inspired for looking them up.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #50 of 105
"Man on the Moon" the new Kid Cudi album. I have a long history of despising rap. 50% of my music collection is Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd. But MotM is at LEAST 10/10 - if I could bump it up one to 11, I would. Just amazing. Pretty sure it just overtook MMP for my album of the year vote.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #52 of 105
Dio - Holy Diver (LP)

Overall a solid effort with some memorable moments. I'd give it a listen if you like 80s metal at all.

7.5/10.

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #53 of 105
"Hospice" - The Antlers [8.5/10]: I heard track #2 "Kettering" on Sirius|XM and thought that it sounded interesting. I really like this album. I have a feeling that my rating will go up as time goes by. Definitely some Pink Floyd moments in there...

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #54 of 105
As with Hergest Ridge and Tubular Bells, Ommadawn is another two-movement work. Oldfield sought out the ancient Celtic influence on English music and composed for traditional instruments such as uilleann pipes on the original LP version. A set of Northumbrian pipes were also recorded, and credited to Herbie, but this recording was not used on the album.

The album was recorded at Oldfield's home at Hergest Ridge, The Beacon, and was the only album to be recorded there (though Oldfield's previous album shares its name with the location).

A quadrophonic remix version of Ommadawn was released on Boxed a year later. Oldfield's 1990 album Amarok was conceived as a sequel to Ommadawn, but turned into something quite different; Virgin had been pushing Oldfield for a sequel to Tubular Bells.[1] Excerpts from Ommadawn were featured in the 1979 NASA film, The Space Movie.
ommadawn.jpg

1973 Tubular Bells
1974 Hergest Ridge
1975 The Orchestral Tubular Bells
1975 Ommadawn
1978 Incantations
1979 Exposed
1979 Platinum
1980 QE2
1982 Five Miles Out
1983 Crises
1984 Discovery
1984 The Killing Fields
1987 Islands
1989 Earth Moving
1990 Amarok
1991 Heaven's Open
1992 Tubular Bells II
1994 The Songs of Distant Earth
1996 Voyager
1998 Tubular Bells III
1999 Guitars
1999 The Millennium Bell
2002 Tr3s Lunas
2003 Tubular Bells 2003
2005 Light + Shade
2008 Music of the Spheres

What can you really say about this? It can not be put on a scale of 1-10. There is not a way to judge this. It is a piece of modern music that comes from a modern composer. There is a nice mixture in this record and it seems to go together better than Tubular Bells. Wonderful drum sounds, great sound stage that shows off everything. He has a lot of help on this one. He does put it all together in one big final piece for us. The three woman who sing along with the kids singing give this a sound I have not ever heard. Bagpipes, pan pipes and other strange percussion we just will not ever hear again in this context.

This is the type of music that could make someone write a movie around it. I see big landscapes and many audio flowers as we have a mix of one-man rock along with symphonic style. This lets us know we are beyond Tubular Bells into a more mature place, clean fast changing and pure. This feels as if he studied Tubular Bells and said "I will make my transitions better on the next one."

This is a morning record. Maybe the morning record of all morning records. You can see a Celtic sun rise if you close your eyes and think to yourself. Where is my coffee?

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #57 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CAN NOT RATE IT BECAUSE I'M CRYING IT'S SO GREAT!

3379789700_f479c7179d.jpg

VOODOO CHILE

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand

Yeah

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island
Might even raise a little sand

Yeah

cause Im a voodoo child
Lord knows Im a voodoo child baby
I want to say one more last thing
I didnt mean to take up all your sweet time
Ill give it right back to ya one of these days

Hahaha

I said I didnt mean to take up all your sweet time
Ill give it right back one of these days

Oh yeah

If I dont meet you no more in this world then uh
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late
Dont be late

cause Im a voodoo child voodoo child
Lord knows Im a voodoo child

Hey hey hey

Im a voodoo child baby
I dont take no for an answer

Question no
Yeah

Yea.... Ladyland is a rare kind of album which can't be rated, anything less than a 10 would be a underestimation of the achievement contained within, but at the same time, theres hardly 20 albums in history that can rank alongside this one, but I have to award the rating 10/10 to more than just 20 albums.

Thanks for inspiring me to give a listen to an old favorite.

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #58 of 105
Iced Earth (Tribute To The Gods) - 8/10. Great tribute album from a great metal band.
Soilwork (Natural Born Chaos) - 10/10. One of my favourite albums of all time, period. So many awesome memories flow when listening to these songs, not to mention the album itself kicking a ton of butt. Some of my only good memories of high school come back listening to this album
biggrin.gif
Ahhh, memories...

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #60 of 105
Cowboy Junkies - "The Trinity Sessions"

I listened to this last night - I have the Classic Records vinyl version of this album and the vinyl is very quiet and extremely nice sounding - almost holographic at points.

The performance itself I'll give 9/10 - really, really good but not epic. This album is getting into heavy night time rotation at my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back