Ratatouille - anybody else seen it yet?
Jul 7, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys the vast majority of animation, including anime, from a larger film perspective is targeted for "kids." [I use those quotes intentionally as that doesn't stop at 18] It's not a limitation of the medium though. Ghost in the Shell as beautiful and serious as it is (and as violent and containing nudity), isn't an adult film. Arguably, the above mentioned Spirited Away and Ratatouille have more adult themes.

QFT: I'm not a big anime fan....and many children's cartoons put me to sleep. But Pixar movies are very entertaining to me. Some of the higher caliber anime movies like Spirited Away and Steamboy hold my interests, but they clearly are targeted towards kids more. Some of these new 3D movies try to have some adult themes that have sexual undertones that little kids wouldn't get (Happy Feet is a good example). But with Pixar, they seem to have characters that are multidimensional. They do not have adult type situations, but I think that because of their complexity they are more identifiable with adults.

I saw Ratatouille yesterday. It does not disappoint! It's definitely one of the best Pixar movies visually....what I like most about Pixar movies is how they stylize each character as someone so unique. They do this in droves with this movie.

Jul 7, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well there may be no other Miyazaki caliber artist working today. Although culturally there are easier places to soar than others, that may be the answer to that question, not Pixar versus Ghibli or U.S. versus Japan.

Guys the vast majority of animation, including anime, from a larger film perspective is targeted for "kids." [I use those quotes intentionally as that doesn't stop at 18] It's not a limitation of the medium though. Ghost in the Shell as beautiful and serious as it is (and as violent and containing nudity), isn't an adult film. Arguably, the above mentioned Spirited Away and Ratatouille have more adult themes.

I don't want to derail this thread by starting a Pixar vs. Ghibli discussion or anything of the sort. I would simply enjoy it if Pixar and modern Disney made features like Pinocchio or Spirited Away, features that didn't rely on very distinct dualistic layers of humor, features that were capable of putting such an incredible story on the screen that any person of any age could appreciate everything about it.

I keep thinking of the line from Toy Story: "I'm a married spud, I'm a married spud, I'm a married spud." The kids like the zany animation, the adults like the joke I suppose, but to me there is a significant disconnect at play here. We are taking our kids to see media that, whether we like it or not, reflects our culture back at us, and instead of a shared experience it is, in my view, becoming a fragmented one. When we no longer connect across generations over the same stories, and instead connect over iPhones and things of that sort, I get a little nervous for us all. I don't think Pinocchio and Spirited Away contain adult themes; I think they contain simple, primal themes for humans.

I also disagree that animation is inherently for kids, or even for the kid in us all, as you suggest. I finished watching the MyHIME series recently, and I was blown away by how poignant the relationships between the characters were. It was like a dissection of all different possibilities of love, and it was far more advanced than 90% of anything else I've seen in that regard. It was also genuinely hilarious. It wasn't the kid in me that was reacting to MyHIME, it was the person. I may have taken more away from MyHIME than a 14-year-old Japanese girl, but the bottom line is that the series intended to convey the same information to each of us. It wasn't trying to amuse her with silliness and amuse me with humor that was over her head. The themes and the humor were intended for everyone watching. I'm not sure why people are so critical of others who want stories that express something real about something--that's what stories have been about for thousands of years. Only in the last century has that started to change. I reject that change. I also reject the thinking that says if you want to consume something that expresses something meaningful go see an art-house film or read a book. The division our society is erecting between the fun and the meaningful only stands to make the fun less meaningful and the meaningful less fun over time. It's clear we can have both at once--so why not?

If anyone is interested in continuing this discussion let's start another thread. I've already derailed this one enough.

Back to Ratatouille... I really am hoping to like it. Based on this thread it sounds promising. Any Head-Fier girls in my area want to go see it?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #49 of 57
Looking forward to it. Not on theaters here yet, but soon.

Check this out: according to IMDB, Ratatouille right now is the #1 Animation of All Time. First cartoon to get that spot after Spirited Away, which kept it from March 2003 (*), after the US re-release (post-Oscars) till now:

http://us.imdb.com/chart/animation

(*) I know this because I tracked Spirited Away all the way before and after the Oscars in 2003.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #50 of 57
This was, by far, my favorite Pixar movie as well. It is well worth the price of admission, and I can't wait to get it on DVD. I have never yet seen a movie in theaters twice, but this may well be the first one to get that honor from me...

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #51 of 57
Saw it two days ago. Now, I should preface that I'm a big Pixar fan, and to me Cars was by far the best thing the studio has made thus far. I also liked The Incredibles, Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc.

Ratatouille, to me, was Pixar on cruise control. Sure, it was good, but there were a lot of spots where I feel the studio simply didn't put in enough attention to detail, and on the whole the film wasn't as good as it could have been.

My biggest gripe was the characters. Other than the main character and his brother, there wasn't a single interesting side character in the film - certainly nothing on the level of the wonderful, offbeat characters that populated Cars or Finding Nemo. Had they taken a bit more time to get the side characters more fleshed out, the experience would have been far richer.

The movie was also very heavy-handed with its message. Ok, this is hollywood, what's more, Pixar has to disguise everything it makes as a kids' picture, so a strong, positive message is mandatory - but they have been able to integrate it more gracefully into the story in the past.

Still, it was a memorable and vivid picture. Definitely a load better than Harry Potter, which I saw yesterday, and forgotten most of by this morning. Watching that particular lifeless wreck made me feel like the director was completely absent from the set. The one quantity that always set the Harry Potter series above the rest - charm - was completely missing here. The final scene was pretty and well filmed, which was a nice surprise given how utterly weak this scene was in the book. As for the rest... it just left me wishing Alfonso Cuaron would come back. I hate to see the series descend into mediocrity, which is what has been happening since the brilliant third film (yes, the source material is weak, but Columbus managed a good deal better with the second picture, which was based on an even weaker novel).

Anyway. Ratatouille. Not bad, but not the best Pixar has made thus far. Still, go see it, well worth the time and money.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #53 of 57
Well, I've rewatched Ratatouille and The Incredibles. Let me reverse them.

Ratatouille > The Incredibles > ... Toy Story > Toy Story 2 > ... Finding Nemo > Bug's Life > ..... Monsters, Inc. > ............. Cars

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #54 of 57
i absolutely loved ratatouille, i surprised myself in doing so since i was in a pixar backlash for so long (yet another talking animal children pic?) Maybe the genre is too saturated from the likes of other companies and i hated shrek, but brad bird has a more adult mentality when it comes to his films. Although, at times i felt he was not given full control because i the numerous chase scenes in the film which i felt distracting and boring but put to thrill the children.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #55 of 57
Just watched it. Great animation but the voice acting for some of the main characters was below par. Overall I found it very entertaining, and it's probably the best Pixar movie yet.

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #57 of 57
Well, Ratatouille as #1 animation of All Time was shortlived: just a week or so. The #1 spot was just overtaken by The Simpsons Movie:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/animation

Let´s see how it lasts after more votes.

Spirited Away at least keeps the record so far as holding the #1 Animation of All Time for the longest time: 4 years. Ratatouille probably holds the record as the movie holding that spot for the shortest time ever.

I guess all these changes among the top animations represent good news for the animated film genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back