Ratatouille - anybody else seen it yet?
Jul 6, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's about a talking rat.
wink.gif

Ah, but the rat can't talk to humans, only fellow rats!

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, but the rat can't talk to humans, only fellow rats!

but he understands humans...and chooses to walk upright!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #33 of 57
One problem with the movie though is that they never explain what happened to his mother, they all just act like she never existed.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #34 of 57
MasiveMunkey, please don't take this the wrong way, but with all the breaks with reality going on in the film, how did you focus on that unexplored question?

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One problem with the movie though is that they never explain what happened to his mother, they all just act like she never existed.

You're totally right! Also, they never explained how Remy's father became head of the clan, or why Anton Ego became so evil-looking, or, or...

Heck we don't even know why the dish is called Ratatouille!

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #38 of 57
Oh yeah, blessingx's post and pics reminded me: did you guys like Lifted? I thought it was a great short.

My sister thought it was the opening scene of Ratatouille.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Lifted was great, except for the little girl behind me who kept yelling "Mommy mommy I'm scared!!"
mad.gif

yeah, inept aliens are always funny...like the martian in the loony toons 'toons.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been waiting for modern western animation to produce serious, nonanthropomorphic, mature movies since, well, forever.

x2billion

My least favorite thing about modern Disney + Pixar / Fox / Dreamworks is the dual-layer "humor" that supposedly pleases both children and adults. I hear people rave about it like it's the most brilliant concept in the entire universe. A single-layer story capable of capturing the attention of an audience of all ages is a lot more impressive, in my opinion. When one of the studios above makes something even a fifth as good as Spirited Away I'll start paying attention again. If this Ratatouille is that movie, well then call me (cautiously) excited.

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2billion

My least favorite thing about modern Disney + Pixar / Fox / Dreamworks is the dual-layer "humor" that supposedly pleases both children and adults. I hear people rave about it like it's the most brilliant concept in the entire universe. A single-layer story capable of capturing the attention of an audience of all ages is a lot more impressive, in my opinion. When one of the studios above makes something even a fifth as good as Spirited Away I'll start paying attention again. If this Ratatouille is that movie, well then call me (cautiously) excited.

The problem is that animation in this country (US of A) has always been seen as a children's genre. Every time I bring home an anime my mom still says she doesn't like "kids movies"... and I've made her sit through Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll already. There stereotype is hard to break.
frown.gif

Edit: Anyone have an easy, cheap (read:graduate student) recipe for ratatouille?

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When one of the studios above makes something even a fifth as good as Spirited Away I'll start paying attention again. If this Ratatouille is that movie, well then call me (cautiously) excited.

Well there may be no other Miyazaki caliber artist working today. Although culturally there are easier places to soar than others, that may be the answer to that question, not Pixar versus Ghibli or U.S. versus Japan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that animation in this country (US of A) has always been seen as a children's genre. Every time I bring home an anime my mom still says she doesn't like "kids movies"... and I've made her sit through Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll already. There stereotype is hard to break.
frown.gif

Guys the vast majority of animation, including anime, from a larger film perspective is targeted for "kids." [I use those quotes intentionally as that doesn't stop at 18] It's not a limitation of the medium though. Ghost in the Shell as beautiful and serious as it is (and as violent and containing nudity), isn't an adult film. Arguably, the above mentioned Spirited Away and Ratatouille have more adult themes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back