RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Aug 21, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #376 of 821
I, as well, agree and also for the stock tips. Today, for the first time, I've used the conoid shaped tips from the 7Hz Timeless stock and they sound awesome, too, IMO, massive soundstage!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #378 of 821
I, as well, agree and also for the stock tips. Today, for the first time, I've used the conoid shaped tips from the 7Hz Timeless stock and they sound awesome, too, IMO, massive soundstage!
I think it was just lucky that they also sound good (to my ears) because I don't get a proper seal (fulltime) with the stock tips, even though they are very comfortable.

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #379 of 821
The Raptgo Hook-X are the best iems I have ever heard, even outside the realm of iems, one of the best planars I've ever heard period the way you can absolutely pump the volume way up to get a massive dynamic experience and deep planar bass, without a hint of fatigue. I enjoyed the Timeless and S12, but the) I cant stop listening to everything on the Hook-X. Endgame-worthy at $240? Insane.
Well, they aren't the best IEMs I have ever heard, but they are the best planar IEMs I have ever heard. And besides, when they get to sounding this good, I don't even know if I would say that my other IEMs sound better per se' but just different. Put it this way (IMHO) these have more in common with flagship, TOTL, whatever you might call it, than they do with budget or mid tier IEMs. They aren't far at all behind in anything against my IT-07 (technicalities, sound tuning, quality, etc...). And that is amazing to me!

And that is also a wonderful thing to my ears (especially nowadays with all the ChiFi coming out tuned the way they are). Munsen's curve doesn't hit as hard in the presence region as it does with a lot of tuning choices of today. The Harmon curve is really a big culprit here. I have never really liked the Harmon curve (even through all the revisions) so I must be an outlier to the studies. Then again, nobody (from those studies) bothered asking me what type of sound I preferred... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :thumbsup:

Funny thing is that normally my tuning preferences don't involve a pretty sizeable boost in the bass department. There is just something so addicting about the massive sound of these. I DO like the mid forward presentation on these, because they never get shouty, or sibilant it makes those gritty guitars from metal and rock/hard rock stand out and be heard, fret for fret and chord for chord.

Because of this though, I might agree that these aren't the absolute best for instrumentals (though very sufficient nonetheless) and are probably more suited to music with vocals. Either way they are great all-rounders for me. I haven't found a genre that they weren't at least competent at (if not outstanding).

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #380 of 821
Regarding the stock tips, what is the difference between them? I threw on the blue tips, and loved the sound so haven’t ventured to other tips. First time I didn’t tip roll when getting a new iem.
I have asked the very same question, and I don't think anyone ever replied. I am not sure if anyone knows, for sure. Though, I have seen some conjecture that the black ones are the bass, white are balanced, and the mint green ones are for treble. I have tried all three but found no differences. Having said that, and since I don't get a permanent seal with the stock tips, I didn't leave them on long enough to do a proper A/B, so I could be off base here. A cursory glance doesn't show any differences I have seen, though again I haven't "studied" them for differences.

If you find the answer, won't you report that here? I too am very curious what the differences are "supposed to be" let alone what they actually are.

Aug 22, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #381 of 821
I have asked the very same question, and I don't think anyone ever replied. I am not sure if anyone knows, for sure. Though, I have seen some conjecture that the black ones are the bass, white are balanced, and the mint green ones are for treble. I have tried all three but found no differences. Having said that, and since I don't get a permanent seal with the stock tips, I didn't leave them on long enough to do a proper A/B, so I could be off base here. A cursory glance doesn't show any differences I have seen, though again I haven't "studied" them for differences.

If you find the answer, won't you report that here? I too am very curious what the differences are "supposed to be" let alone what they actually are.
What tips are you using?

Aug 22, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #383 of 821
I got my Hook-X ~10 days ago and have been trying to decide to keep or sell them. They sound pretty different, they don't have the most natural tone/timbre but to me they are better than the colder sounding Timless. The Timeless has better resolution and details are more easily noticeable but can get fatiguing at times. Hook-X on the other hand has better stage size and Imaging and better Bass response and are relaxed sounding without sacrificing details.

The only think that's bothering me is the slight grain in the higher frequencies, I remember reading somewhere that Hook-X pairs well with a clean sounding source, what's your experience with Hook-X synergy with different DACs.

Aug 22, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #384 of 821
I got my Hook-X ~10 days ago and have been trying to decide to keep or sell them. They sound pretty different, they don't have the most natural tone/timbre but to me they are better than the colder sounding Timless. The Timeless has better resolution and details are more easily noticeable but can get fatiguing at times. Hook-X on the other hand has better stage size and Imaging and better Bass response and are relaxed sounding without sacrificing details.

The only think that's bothering me is the slight grain in the higher frequencies, I remember reading somewhere that Hook-X pairs well with a clean sounding source, what's your experience with Hook-X synergy with different DACs.
I won't be able to comment on different DACs and their pairings, because I pair it (mainly) with either my DX160 or the DX300. Having said that, I have all three of the amp cards for the DX300, and I can say that they sound better or worse depending on the signature of the amp card.

Right now, I am still on the fence as to which one is the best pairing (to my ears). It is coming down to either my DX160 (very energetic, neutral/bright signature) or the Amp12 card on the DX300 (very wide, deeper bass though a bit slower, neutral/warm signature). I am leaning a bit towards the brighter signature atm. I didn't like the tube amp card (warm + warm = nah), and the stock card is somewhere in the middle (closer staging, faster bass but not as deep, neutral/neutral signature).

Hope that is of some help anyhow?! :)

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #386 of 821
If there are others who also think Hook-X sounds good with neutral/bright source, I might buy something like the BTR7. I've been using LG G8x, it's got a mildly warm neutral sound signature but dosen't have a lot of power unless using the Impedance trick.
Even then, you might not get the full potential for planars. Your phone might not be able to produce the current needed. I think any step up should sound better (well, more accurate to their intent). It might sound better to you that way, because they do sound pretty good even out of a phone (albeit a good one). Having said that (and in case you haven't seen any of my impressions thus far), there is a pretty noticeable difference (in the quality of sound comparatively) going up the ladder from phone all the way up to 2W & 2A(available) power output. Just my $.02 though YMMV. :)

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #388 of 821
I have yet to go through all the posts here, I'll do that tonight. I did try the Hook-X on EF400 and it sounds better than output from my phone but that's a completely different technology and in a different price bracket.
I hear ya' there. Let us know how your journey goes?!

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #389 of 821
If there are others who also think Hook-X sounds good with neutral/bright source, I might buy something like the BTR7. I've been using LG G8x, it's got a mildly warm neutral sound signature but dosen't have a lot of power unless using the Impedance trick.

I’m currently running mine off of a BRT5, balanced, high gain, on an OCC cable, SednaEarFit Max tips.

They sound awesome with this setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back