Rap Sucks
Dec 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #691 of 782
Quote:
It is still really gangsta-ish. LoL

Of course, nothing is really new under the sun, but he has created his own brand of hip hop that is pretty unique/ refined compared to what is out there these days that's for sure. Took me some time to really get into Lupe, didn't really like his voice, style at 1st but eventually his stuff grew on me. But that is the thing though, the more i look into his lyrics on rap genius etc, the more I appreciate the moment of thought he puts into it. Not saying others don't but there are just layers and layers and layers, and I still have trouble understanding some of it.

I wouldn't say he is the father/ godfather etc, cuz just like hip hop/ rap music there are so many influences from ALL cultures in which the art form draws/ "samples" from. When you say Rakim is the father of ALL rappers is like saying hip hop/ rap music was created ONLY by black people, which is not true at all. I am sure there are many that have come before Rakim that he was influenced by, so.....

clive campbell was black

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #692 of 782
Quote:
I love old school gangsta rap, for reasons others said they dont like it, I'm born and bred in LA, so west coast, I grew up in the 90s, and I grew up in the hood and spent the majority of my pre-18 life with cholos and Gs. The only requirement I need for G-rap is that they have done actual dirt in their lives, I can't stand rappers who talk about how hard and thug them and their crews are when they used to be back-up dancers and are studio made

tupac and the NWA?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #693 of 782
Quote:

Quote:
anything lupe does is not new to me, I just dont like his dick-riding fans, its like for once they actually got to listen to someone really good, then they over analyze him, then think he is the best there is

^ This! haha just messing with you'll.

This MV is PURE AWESOMESAUCE-NESS!!!

@Kami

I loves my BRACKKK peoples!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #694 of 782
Since only one member (gritzcolin) mentioned Deltron 3030 on this thread, I feel obliged to introduce the supergroup:

Sorry for the quality, it's the best I could find on YT. Do yourselves a favor and cop the CD. This is one of the best concept albums Hip Hop can offer.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #695 of 782
Beauty is in the ear of the listener...

There are plenty of decent rappers out there along with plenty of crap ones. 
Same with every genre, once again - all subjective.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #696 of 782
Quote:
Since only one member (gritzcolin) mentioned Deltron 3030 on this thread, I feel obliged to introduce the supergroup:

Sorry for the quality, it's the best I could find on YT. Do yourselves a favor and cop the CD. This is one of the best concept albums Hip Hop can offer.

The I am obliged to introduce Gravediggaz a supergroup with Prince Paul heading the production with input from the legendary RZA

You can't really judge the album (6 feet deep) by just this one mv, it remains one of my fave albums overall in concept as well as a musical ride

BTW, who do you think shine better in that album Del or Dan?

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #697 of 782
Quote:
tupac and the NWA?

Hell yea, NWA is old school legit. Although Eazy was the only one involved in the street life. I don't buy any of Dr. Dre's "hardness" though, he was a back up dancer and wore makeup and shiny costumes

Tupac's a genius to me, but he didn't get into any trouble until he was already famous, if I remember right. He's more political/social than street to me, but amazing.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #698 of 782
Wow, thanks for rekindling my love for the Undertaker and Gravediggaz, not to mention how relevant one of the OGs of Stetsasonic is to Deltron 3030 to begin with.

Quote:

BTW, who do you think shine better in that album Del or Dan?

That's a really hard question to answer because, to me, the album's ingenuity can't simply be described as the sum of its parts. There are days when I concentrate on the production more than the verses (and vice versa), but when you start analyzing the interaction between the two, how they complement each other...that's a whole different story.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #699 of 782
Quote:
Wow, thanks for rekindling my love for the Undertaker and Gravediggaz, not to mention how relevant one of the OGs of Stetsasonic is to Deltron 3030 to begin with.

That's a really hard question to answer because, to me, the album's ingenuity can't simply be described as the sum of its parts. There are days when I concentrate on the production more than the verses (and vice versa), but when you start analyzing the interaction between the two, how they complement each other...that's a whole different story.

well its not really a classic if some parts stand out more than another, most classic albums has that same characteristic, I agree with your answer

Quote:
Hell yea, NWA is old school legit. Although Eazy was the only one involved in the street life. I don't buy any of Dr. Dre's "hardness" though, he was a back up dancer and wore makeup and shiny costumes

Tupac's a genius to me, but he didn't get into any trouble until he was already famous, if I remember right. He's more political/social than street to me, but amazing.

Tupac was a back up dancer too for Humpty Dumpty or some obscure dude, Ice Cube is middle class apparently, its one of the things that really irked me when I learned about this

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #701 of 782
Quote:
I hate mainstream cause they rap about the same things over and over and people buy it. I just listen to Lecrae and I'm sick of all mainstream music because they also talk about the same things.

Well I guess you came to the right thread then, cuz peps here seems to know a lot of good underground acts out there. Esp, the more old school stuff.

Well here is an oldie but a goodie:

MV is pretty effective but yet seems so simple, genius!

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #704 of 782
I love old/school as much as the next guy but people need to stop sleeping bc there have been a whole bunch of great releases this year, and half of them are free

mixtapes:
rare chandeliers & blue chips - action bronson (prod. by the alchemist and party supplies respectively)
1999 - joey badass
nehru jackets - heems/himanshu
duality - captain murphy  (FlyLo)

albums (no particular order):
good kid maad city - kendrick
control system - ab-soul
r.a.p. music - killer mike (prod. by el-p)
key to the kuffs - JJ DOOM

for the old-heads:
Trophies - Apollo Brown & OC
hence the title, Joey Badass's tape sounds like it's straight out of 1999

and sort of in it's own category:
TNGHT EP - TNGHT (hudson mohawke / lunice)

also anybody sleeping on Danny Brown needs to get on that.  He is your favorite rapper's favorite rapper.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #705 of 782
Quote:
I love old/school as much as the next guy but people need to stop sleeping bc there have been a whole bunch of great releases this year, and half of them are free

mixtapes:
rare chandeliers & blue chips - action bronson (prod. by the alchemist and party supplies respectively)
1999 - joey badass
nehru jackets - heems/himanshu
duality - captain murphy  (FlyLo)

albums (no particular order):
good kid maad city - kendrick
control system - ab-soul
r.a.p. music - killer mike (prod. by el-p)
key to the kuffs - JJ DOOM

for the old-heads:
Trophies - Apollo Brown & OC
hence the title, Joey Badass's tape sounds like it's straight out of 1999

and sort of in it's own category:
TNGHT EP - TNGHT (hudson mohawke / lunice)

also anybody sleeping on Danny Brown needs to get on that.  He is your favorite rapper's favorite rapper.

My thoughts exactly, hip hop has for sure advanced for the better despite all the sub par rappers out there. There are tons of good ones as well, just got to dig a bit.  I love all the nuances / sub genres that has taken root and is growing since the passing of the "golden era", like i said before, i don't miss the old school stuff at all. If you have a craving for it, it's always there for people to re-listen/ re-discover again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back