Rap Sucks
Jan 7, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #212 of 782
the concept of rap is geat;; and done well with the rappers that have talent,, and use substance.. it's just an avenue for non-talented derelicts to try to make money;; they can't seen to do it on their own,, so they use other talented artists in the background (instrumental or vocal) to carry their garbage..

but on the whole ,, when i dj,, i can find enough good rap to play at the paries..

i even edit some or the crappy rap,, and take out the main artist and salvage a pretty good re-mix.. i leave evough room for the crowd to do their own rap..

but ,, there is a lot of crap in every genre;; it al boils down to who has talent,, and who doesn't..

Jan 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #213 of 782
rap is just another type of music, nothing wrong with itself. Just what the music industery did to rap that's crap. I mean there are a few good rap songs (mostly old school) that talks about something worthwhile and original. the rap that's out right now talks almost only about drugs, girls and cars, oh and gang stuff like getting shot. This kind of rap is really crap, the recording is very horrid, the bass beats are not even drums, they're just loud synphasized blob of bass, and there is NO dynamics.

I have nothing against rap but alot against what the music industerial created, they seriously messed up rap, rock and a bunch of other stuff. since now the recordings are horrible and the average consumer don't even have a clue what good sound is.

Jan 8, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #214 of 782
well said twighlightrevenant... this, or something similar, has happened to so many genres... it makes you understand why many music enthusiasts listen to indie bands or music that is not really classifiable... that way they cant wreck it as quick
frown.gif

Jan 8, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #215 of 782
For a real treat of music that I suppose could be classed as RAP although it predates it by a few years is this album:

Gil Scott-Heron ~ The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

As far as i'm concerned, this guy put some real thought and feeling into the words of his songs. They are very touching but harsh at the same time. A lot of these so-called modern day rappers could learn a few things from him.

Jan 8, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #216 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
My take on rap is that there's little to no instruments in it.

You might want to check out The Roots, who do a great job of blending hip-hop and jazz. Their album "Do you want more?" is especially good.

Jan 8, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #217 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Too bad I didn't find this earlier. Ah well.

I hate rap, but I don't go attacking people who listen to it. Of course, most people I know who listen to rap listen to the mainstream stuff; Eminem, 50 Cent, what-have-you.

My take on rap is that there's little to no instruments in it. I detest music that has no instruments in it. Actually, no, I hate music that doesn't have the artists playing instruments. This also includes acapella and pop. On the other hand, Gregorian Chants can be hauntingly beautiful, and that's sans instruments. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

Oh, and Mike, "jump rock" is NOT thrash. Thrash/speed is [early] Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and the like. I have no idea what you're talking about by jump rock, other than maybe KISS or something. I call it glam rock. And before you go saying metal is crap, listen to some early Metallica, or Iron Maiden. The Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, (all Metallica), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (Iron Maiden), any of those. Or go look up some sheet music or tablature for them. Tell me that's canned crap. Or, try Yngwie Malmsteen. I wouldn't call it thrash, except he plays the guitar so fast it sounds like one continous note, just sliding on the fretboard. Awesome stuff.

And finally, nu-metal doesn't have to be evil, as long as you don't think of it as a replacement for metal. I myself like Linkin Park. I don't claim they bring any originality to the table, but I just like them. Umkay? Umkay.

(-:Stephonovich:)

You have to listen to better hip hop groups. Underground hip hop groups out there do use their own instruments. Two of my friends are both rappers, but they play their own instruments for their band (guitar/drums). They're always listening to Miles and a lot of Latin Jazz for inspiration to incorporate music along with their lyrics.

Like the poster stated above - check out The Roots

Jan 8, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #218 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by wali
And off course there is no such a thing as “American music” all form of music in US has originated from the African American minority of US…

To paraphrase anyone who can make such a statement doesn't know crap about American music. I suggest you get hold of a copy of Alan Lomax's 'The Folk Songs of North America', and read it. Maybe then you'll be able to pontificate on the subject.

Feb 7, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #220 of 782
Elvis' music sounds like crap! He's just getting up on stage thrusting his hips and mashing his hands on the guitar! GOD that man has NO SKILL.

Oh wait, sorry, I thought this was pre-ww2.

Holy crap, a new music style comes along and a bunch of people produce massive amounts of crap that people like. Gee, sounds like every form of popular music ever.

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #221 of 782
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE! (reference to ALTERED BEAST SEGA GENESIS VIDEO GAME for those of you too young to remember anything other than Playstation)
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #222 of 782
This is long thread... and I've not read every single post. But here's my 2 cents:

There are some rap that are too crude; it seems like the rapper cuss just for the shock value of it and to make his/her music sound "cool" and "bad." However, I think there are other rappers like 2-pac who are musicians in every sense of the word. Their lyrics are filled with clever and often cynical commentaries on societal problems and at the same they manage to convey those messages in a very catchy and artful rhythm.

Feb 8, 2004 at 11:43 AM Post #223 of 782
Onix take a look at those albums:

Gang Starr - Momment of truth
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36_Chambers)
Sniper - Gravé dans la roche (french)
Non Phixion - There is no future
Nas - Illmatic
IAM - l'école du micro d'argent (french)
Non-Prophets (sage francis & joe beats) - Hope
Mobb Deep - Murda Musik

Hey Onix if you want something in spanish:

Triple XXX - Sobran palabras
Nach Scratch - Basado en hechos reales
Keyo - Fuego Abierto
Jefe de la M - Entra el dragon

from Mexico i only know a guy called: Mexicano 777 or something like that, download Mexicano - El Doctor and if you like it download the whole album.

PS: Not all mainstream rap is baaad, for example some Nas and Xzibit albums are good for me.

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #225 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Ocelote
Onix take a look at those albums:

Gang Starr - Momment of truth
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36_Chambers)
Sniper - Gravé dans la roche (french)
Non Phixion - There is no future
Nas - Illmatic
IAM - l'école du micro d'argent (french)
Non-Prophets (sage francis & joe beats) - Hope
Mobb Deep - Murda Musik

Hey Onix if you want something in spanish:

Triple XXX - Sobran palabras
Nach Scratch - Basado en hechos reales
Keyo - Fuego Abierto
Jefe de la M - Entra el dragon

from Mexico i only know a guy called: Mexicano 777 or something like that, download Mexicano - El Doctor and if you like it download the whole album.

PS: Not all mainstream rap is baaad, for example some Nas and Xzibit albums are good for me.

Thanks a lot for the list. May I add Molotov (rap-metal-funk) to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back