Rap Sucks
Jan 6, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #196 of 782
I have never been exposed to rap since I have never lived in US--never visited, but if one reads the history of contemporary music and black history in general then the reason behind the whole hip hop culture and rap as its mouthpiece becomes clear.

As I have understood rap is a supposedly an anti social music of self expression originating from the frustration and lack of opportunity, which the black youth faces in US. The hip hop artists, rappers in particular try to show that they're not bound by the laws of white majority and their values. Going against everything which the white majority feels as taboo, guns, drugs, sex, cop-hating--total excess in clothing behavior... rap started as a form of self expression for disadvantage black youth, but now its more like sticking a finger to good-ole-American values.

Rap does not position itself as an art form, its more like a raw social commentary of a particular life style—hip hop... I don't listen to rap, but when I see its videos and hear their lyrics its easy to understand what are they saying... I really liked Dr. Alben "its my life" early 90s and I really still like "Gangsters paradise" IMO that’s a great song with strong message and great tune.

BTW, anybody who uses a sentence like "rap is crap" does not know crap about music.

And off course there is no such a thing as “American music” all form of music in US has originated from the African American minority of US…

All those 15-yr-old-ers here should learn a few things before making silly statements.

Jan 6, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #197 of 782
I think it is pretty funny that someone named metalhead started this thread…

I'm not going to read the whole thing, but I must say that saying an entire genre of music sucks is absolutely idiotic...

musical bigotry!

Jan 6, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #198 of 782
The thread belongs in the inane section. Pure flamebait. When personal preference is involved, logic and rational thought goes out the window.

i.e. <substitute your favorite type of music> sucks... anyone who listens to <substitute your favorite type of music> is a moron, blah blah blah...

Jan 6, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #199 of 782
hey,, i'm 60 ;; a dj and x-pro musician and i like rap,, i like metal,, i like ska,, i like screamo,, i like jazz,, ilike country,, i like dance-house,, acid rock.. etc etc.. as long as it's good and done with TALENT.. every one of these genres have music and artists that SUCK.. just pick out the ones you like,, put it on your cd-r,, md,, or i-pod and enjoy it..

just think,, you might end up marrying or livin with someone that likes the music you hate;; then what do you do.. or you may have a boss that's always pushing HIS sucky music.. Just live with it..

i'm going strong at 60,, it's probably because i don't let too many things bother me;; (especially music).. now food is another thing..

as long as you wake up and look in the mirror and you ARE there;; that counts most of all.. you'll live longer and happier just sharing everybody's music..

(( p.s. i do agree there are more rap and rap-hiphop songs i don't like that i like.. only because of the language and violence.. ;; but other genres have the same thing too..

when you are older and have children;; and you want to protect them,, then you will understand..

until then,, go ahead and have fun.. rip the world up and have a ball..

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #201 of 782
I thought Snoop Dog was pretty cool at the Sugar Bowl! A lot better than the crappy entertainment they usually have at halftimes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #202 of 782
Most of the rap songs I have listened as of late are pretty much crappy and repetitive IMHO. The only artist that I "kinda" like is EMINEM and, way before him, Run DMC. Besides that, I am kinda sick of listening to songs made of parts of great jazz and rock songs. But anyway, I am pretty sure there are some talented rap ARTISTS out there (Black Eyed Peas?). we just don't have a lot of access to them, being "uncommercial". But if someone can point me to some of them, please do.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #203 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
But if someone can point me to some of them, please do.
biggrin.gif

try outkast.. i don't buy rap cd's;; but did buy Outkast..

and try the reggae rap.. like Sean Paul..

Jan 6, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #204 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by philodox
musical bigotry!

How so?

Jan 6, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #205 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
How so?

to say that an entire genre of music sucks is the same as any kind of gross generalization... such as black people are criminals, or white people screw livestock...

NOTE: I am not saying these things... they are examples
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #207 of 782
Too bad I didn't find this earlier. Ah well.

I hate rap, but I don't go attacking people who listen to it. Of course, most people I know who listen to rap listen to the mainstream stuff; Eminem, 50 Cent, what-have-you.

My take on rap is that there's little to no instruments in it. I detest music that has no instruments in it. Actually, no, I hate music that doesn't have the artists playing instruments. This also includes acapella and pop. On the other hand, Gregorian Chants can be hauntingly beautiful, and that's sans instruments. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

Oh, and Mike, "jump rock" is NOT thrash. Thrash/speed is [early] Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and the like. I have no idea what you're talking about by jump rock, other than maybe KISS or something. I call it glam rock. And before you go saying metal is crap, listen to some early Metallica, or Iron Maiden. The Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, (all Metallica), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (Iron Maiden), any of those. Or go look up some sheet music or tablature for them. Tell me that's canned crap. Or, try Yngwie Malmsteen. I wouldn't call it thrash, except he plays the guitar so fast it sounds like one continous note, just sliding on the fretboard. Awesome stuff.

And finally, nu-metal doesn't have to be evil, as long as you don't think of it as a replacement for metal. I myself like Linkin Park. I don't claim they bring any originality to the table, but I just like them. Umkay? Umkay.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #208 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Too bad I didn't find this earlier. Ah well.

I hate rap, but I don't go attacking people who listen to it. Of course, most people I know who listen to rap listen to the mainstream stuff; Eminem, 50 Cent, what-have-you.

My take on rap is that there's little to no instruments in it. I detest music that has no instruments in it. Actually, no, I hate music that doesn't have the artists playing instruments. This also includes acapella and pop. On the other hand, Gregorian Chants can be hauntingly beautiful, and that's sans instruments. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

Oh, and Mike, "jump rock" is NOT thrash. Thrash/speed is [early] Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and the like. I have no idea what you're talking about by jump rock, other than maybe KISS or something. I call it glam rock. And before you go saying metal is crap, listen to some early Metallica, or Iron Maiden. The Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, (all Metallica), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (Iron Maiden), any of those. Or go look up some sheet music or tablature for them. Tell me that's canned crap. Or, try Yngwie Malmsteen. I wouldn't call it thrash, except he plays the guitar so fast it sounds like one continous note, just sliding on the fretboard. Awesome stuff.

And finally, nu-metal doesn't have to be evil, as long as you don't think of it as a replacement for metal. I myself like Linkin Park. I don't claim they bring any originality to the table, but I just like them. Umkay? Umkay.

I could hug you for this post...finally someone who knows what they are fricken talking about on this post..gees

Jan 7, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #209 of 782
Um, firstly, not to attack you if this is a freak coincidence, but the Head-Fi Rules state...

Quote:

Use only one username. Multiple profiles for the same individual are not allowed.

MetalHead666, MetalHead6969... both born November 24th, 1987, and both live in New Jersey
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Just checked, different joined dates. I dunno. If I'm mistaken, and it's two seperate people, my apologies.

Jan 7, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #210 of 782
I, too, would like to say rap sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back