Rap music. Pro or Con
Jun 20, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #151 of 224
I like rap but I don't listen to a lot of it. The best performers are definitely making innovative music through poetry, beats, samples, etc.... in my opinion. Who can forget the genius of Paul's Boutique?

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #152 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no love of Kenny G or John Tesh but at least they can play their chosen instrument tolerably well and can compose their own work.

Rap is visual posturing behind a beat; the lyrics/poetry is redundant hear one and you've heard it all. The beat is not incredibly talented at that since most of it is sampled versions of other performers work. It would be like me claiming to be an author by cut and pasting a little Voltaire, Dickens, etc. Sorry, but that isn't talent or creativity in my book.

I guess we could classify mimes as musicians too if we can get them to perform to a beat and make obscene gestures.

Too many here have thier heads planted firmly....
wink.gif
in the ground.You say you give it a chance every few months ...by listening to the radio !?!!??! and maybe mtv ?
blink.gif
You will never hear REAL hop hop and or Rap on the radio or the boob tube (something I have not watched since 93).Pick up Illogic's 'Celestial Clockwork',or IllPoetics 'The World Is Ours' ,or Blue Scholars 'Biyani' or there Self Titled album,or Blueprints '1988' or Soul Position's '8 Million Stories',or S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M by One Be Lo,or 'Word....Life' by O.C. or 'The Album' by LATRYX,Bambu's 'I Scream Bars For The Children',Original compositions,original beats,and truly deep lyrics are easy to find and quite plentiful in current Hip Hop,but one has to know where to look,and have an open mind when it arrives.When the student is ready the teacher will appear
wink.gif
Take a listen to those and if you want more suggestions pm me.

Hearing something and understanding it and having an open heart,is one thing,just listening to it are very different things.Some people will never like it or give it a chance,and thats fine,we all have different tastes,it makes life more interesting no doubt !

...I could go on for ever about other recent and past releases,but I get the strong feeling it all go right the heads of many here
580smile.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #154 of 224
Wow. This thread is resurrected eh.

I just wanted to put in my two cents that Hip Hop Rocks. Some of the lyrics and MCs are positivity Shakespherean - real mad skillz - and its a shame on a board like Head-fi that some people are so close-minded and pretentious they can't see that. Ultimately, I feel sorry for people that put down a whole genre, I'd hate to be the type of person that dislikes more music than likes.

Canadian Hip hop is going to take over the world.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #155 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only rap I have heard is whatever is on the radio. That stuff is just plain horrible. I mean it really, really sucks. My view on hip-hop is pretty much shaped by that. But if I did hear some stuff that is actually good, I might change my views a bit.

I fear that this is the case with most of the people in here verbally bashing "rap music". The music they play on the radio is NOT HIP-HOP! Hip-pop is ruining real hip-hop.
Also, I can't believe some of you are actually saying "I HATE rap. The stuff on the radio is horrible and I have no interest in listening to anymore rap because of it."

GIVE THESE A WATCH/LISTEN:

Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
Gym Class Heroes - Papercuts
Common - Be
Common - I Used to Love H.E.R.
Eyedea - Even Shadows Have Shadows(Ignore the video for this one.
icon10.gif
)
Jedi Mind Tricks - I Who Have Nothing

You truly have to have an open mind and lay all of your assumptions to rest or else you'll be stuck spinning your tires in the mud, not getting anywhere.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #157 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's offensive noise.

and people like to play it loud in public which is a horrible annoyance and rude to others.

And those damn Jimi Hendrix hippies keep on smoking dope and waste their lives away. And those bebop Miles Davis fans do nothing but hang around bars and drink! Don't even get me started with those kids and their Bessie Smith and Duke Ellington!

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #159 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And those damn Jimi Hendrix hippies keep on smoking dope and waste their lives away. And those bebop Miles Davis fans do nothing but hang around bars and drink! Don't even get me started with those kids and their Bessie Smith and Duke Ellington!

Perhaps this is a stereotype, but I didn't notice those generations actively celebrating putting a cap in someone's head or degrading women.

Yeah, I can just picture Roger Daltrey putting a cap in Jim Morrison.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #160 of 224
Quote:

Perhaps this is a stereotype, but I didn't notice those generations actively celebrating putting a cap in someone's head or degrading women.

Yeah, I can just picture Roger Daltrey putting a cap in Jim Morrison.

For the 3,764th time in this thread, you can not judge hip-hop as a whole by its worst elements. We surely wouldn't want rap fans to judge Porcupine Tree based on what Nickelback sounds like.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #162 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the 3,764th time in this thread, you can not judge hip-hop as a whole by its worst elements.

Errr guys, the point of this thread and poll is rap, not hip-hop. You want to start a hip-hop thread go right ahead. I have no strong feelings on hip-hop. Rap. Rap. Rap. Get it?

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #163 of 224
Quote:

Errr guys, the point of this thread and poll is rap, not hip-hop. You want to start a hip-hop thread go right ahead. I have no strong feelings on hip-hop. Rap. Rap. Rap. Get it?

That is purely a semantic argument, one that I have absolutely no interest in. Most people do view the terms hip-hop and rap as completely interchangeable, and many of the posts have been made with this in mind.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #164 of 224
Quote:

I have no love of Kenny G or John Tesh but at least they can play their chosen instrument tolerably well and can compose their own work.

Rap is visual posturing behind a beat; the lyrics/poetry is redundant hear one and you've heard it all. The beat is not incredibly talented at that since most of it is sampled versions of other performers work. It would be like me claiming to be an author by cut and pasting a little Voltaire, Dickens, etc. Sorry, but that isn't talent or creativity in my book.

I guess we could classify mimes as musicians too if we can get them to perform to a beat and make obscene gestures.

does it have to be playing it with an instrument to show he or she know music?

this is a really stupid thread. to ask a question like this. and i suppose it's offending rap/hip hop fans.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #165 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is purely a semantic argument, one that I have absolutely no interest in. Most people do view the terms hip-hop and rap as completely interchangeable, and many of the posts have been made with this in mind.

So Gangsta Rap = Hip Hop; if that makes you happy let's go with it. Doesn't really matter where I was heading.

Back to my point, where does the analysis of previous generation music fall apart since you brought up the 'rebellion' bit? Which musicians followers were murdering other musicians? Where was all the talk of beotches and hos? I must have selective hearing so please, enlighten me.

No, it is not a pretty picture, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back