Rap Battle: Audio Technica M50's VS Ultrasone HFI 780
Jul 12, 2010 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

HydroTurtle

100+ Head-Fier
Which is better for rap/hip hop?  M50's or HFI 780's?

I'll be listening to these on my Sansa Clip+ unamped.

How good are they movies/gaming wise?

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN

.............^^ hehe too much?

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 41
I haven't personally listened to the M50's myself but the HFI 780's were pretty impressive.
You're probably looking for deep punchy bass since you do listen to rap/hiphop.. eg. Tech N9ne.. I'd say either headphone would be fine.

Soundstage would not be as great due to the fact they are closed headphones. Thus effect movies/games. However if you play FPS games you can distinctively hear where the enemies footsteps are. If you play competitive gaming at a LAN tournament again due to noise isolation not the smartest idea.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 41

Quote:
I haven't personally listened to the M50's myself but the HFI 780's were pretty impressive.
You're probably looking for deep punchy bass since you do listen to rap/hiphop.. eg. Tech N9ne.. I'd say either headphone would be fine.

Soundstage would not be as great due to the fact they are closed headphones. Thus effect movies/games. However if you play FPS games you can distinctively hear where the enemies footsteps are. If you play competitive gaming at a LAN tournament again due to noise isolation not the smartest idea.

So since either should be fine, should I just go for the cheaper M50's?

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 41
I would suggest listening to other peoples opinions first. I'm also interested in what M50 users would have to say about this.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 41
The HFI780s would do fine for what you need them for. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 41
If I had to pick one, I would definitely pick the M50. In my past ownership of the 780, I found that they were easily the worst pair of headphones I ever had for an extended period of time. As you can read in some of my other posts, they're really just awful. Bass is bloated and ill-defined, which impedes on the rest of the spectrum, especially recessing the mids. The treble is overall just really sibilant and/or rolled off, also lacking definition. The tonal balance might be one of the most irritating aspects of these cans. Vocals sound nasal and "canned", other midrange tones are completely unnatural sounding.

If you're looking for something bassy, I suggest the Shure SRH840. Should you decide to get an amp later, invest in some DT770.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 41

It's bassier in the sense of bass quality and depth. In many cases I find that the 840 also has more impact than the 780 as well. The 840 is great for its ability to "chameleonize" depending on what's being listened to.
Quote:
clarinetman , are you saying SRH 840 is bassier than HFi 780 , yet all rounder ?

I agree with the latter statement, I forgot about the 750DJ. Much bassier headphone.
Quote:
SRH840 isn't what i would call a bassy headphone, the HFI780 is definitely bassier.
If you want an SRH840 with more bass get the SRH750DJ.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 41

Quote:
I've been kinda confused with the HFI 780's because Ultrasones tend to be more of a love/ hate kinda thing with people.

They are. I've never heard one that actually sounded good to my ears, even the Ed. 8 sounded like crap to me.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 41
Haven't heard the 840's or 750's but the M50's are great for Rap, Hip/Hop.  Unless you want flabby, bloated crap Bass like you hear coming from the back of a 90's Honda covered in Bondo w/ an ill fitting body-kit.

As for gaming, I don't understand the overly anal preoccupation w/ soundstage in headphones.  Imaging perhaps.  An XFi soundcard will render 3D 360 degree position on Apple earbuds better than any Headphone in the world w/o an XFi card.  Get a soundcard if you wanna be a clan killer in an FPS.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 41
With the 780s I think it mostly comes down to taste. I love the bass on them and I didn't feel the mids were recessed at all. Compared with the Sextetts which are known for their magical midrange, the 780s really weren't noticeably worse to the extent that it affected my listening pleasure. I won't say the midrange of the 780s is better than the Sextetts because it isn't, but it definitely isn't significantly worse. I like the added bass extension of the 780s so I'm getting rid of the Sextetts.

I think some of the younger members might like the 780s more than the older members because we're used to hearing a lot of strong bass in clubs/bars now.

edit: I did use cotton to dampen the ear cups which did tone the bass down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back