Rant/Warning: be careful with your wallets
Apr 24, 2006 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
I'll keep this short, since I feel stupid and don't need to go on and on, but I lost my wallet this week. I thought I merely misplaced it somewhere at home. I had it on Weds night when I paid for groceries at the market. When I looked for it on Thursday morning, it was nowhere to be found at home. Long, painful story short, it was gone. I took some precautions and called my credit card companies to warn them I may have lost it (some accounts were closed and reissued, some put on hold).

After a few days of stressing out and looking everywhere, I finally got a call from Citibank warning me some fraudulent charges may have been made...and we confirmed that yes, my card was therefore missing and in someone else's hands. Account was fully cancelled and a new card is on its way.

All my credit card/banking business has been taken care of. but the major losses are as follows:
my driver's license (getting a new one on friday)
$100 credit at circuit city
$100 credit at best buy
$50 other credit I can't recall
my undergrad and grad school ID cards (sentimental)
$20 rebate check
various receipts (only important if i need to return stuff, oh well)
possibly a copy of my SSN (i know, What was i thinking, i have it memorized anyway...ugh!)
sundry notes/items that could be important or sentimental
etc etc etc

My wallet must have fallen or was snatched between when I paid for groceries and when i got to my apt. So a warning to all, don't keep important items in your wallets. keep it simple, keep it light, leave stuff at home until you really need it.

It could be worse, but i foresee some major headaches to come.

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 21
Sorry to hear that happened to you.There are some of us here who have found wallets before and returned them to their owners and then there are the others that use the credit cards or cash.

I have stopped carrying my SSN but still keep all my CC's with me even though i use ony 1 of the 3
confused.gif
.I carry hardly and cash on me but there is my ATM card but i guess that is useless without the PIN.

When you say major losses do you mean that the person charged the cards at those places?

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 21
Sorry to hear. Must've been a pain to close all your accounts. But look at the bright side, you acted early so the person who took your CC couldnt use them.

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 21
Sorry to here that.
I actually try not to carry any cash in my wallet... cards are always better; they are protected and all. If i do carry cash its usually for donation purposes.

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 21
oh yeah, cash...lost that too. but probably less than $60.

I have no idea why i kept my SSN with me. it was a throwback from much earlier wallets and i guess it came along for the ride with other things that were transfered from 1 wallet to the next.

thanks for the sympathy guys. I'm not begging for any (this time), but it sure is frustrating, so i hope someone can learn from my dumb mistake.

but as i said, from now on I will carry as little as possible, keeping it to my 1 major CC, atm card, driver's license, proof of insurance, and cash (to pay bloody parking everyday). everything else can wait until i get home.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 21
Wow, if I lost my credit card I would have lost a whole chunk of my life.

I stopped keeping my SSN in my wallet after I thought I had lost my wallet the first time.

Hopefully nothing bad will happen to you int he future, good luck!

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 21
well wallets aren't always safe at home either.....

a couple of weeks ago someone came in the back door of our house (while we were upstairs asleep mind you), stole my brothers and my wallets and phones, and then walked out.

it was just stupid. more of a hassle than anything else (fortunately i didn't have anything too important/with sentimental value in it). and insurance covered it.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 21
ah ha! 1 person affected
biggrin.gif
IMO, good move ej, you never know when you might drop your wallet.

i didnt actually keep my SS card in my wallet, but did have a photocopy. again, no friggin clue why i bothered. dumb, dumb dumb.

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 21
this happened to me two weeks ago. i had left my wallet at the bank after making a large cash deposit (at least it was after i had made the deposit). i went back and they claimed they never saw it. so i go home and cancel all my cards, etc. a week later i get a message: my wallet was at the lost and found at the bank. argh! at least i got it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back