Rant: Digital Remastering [PICS]
Dec 7, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #33 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my question is how do you use eac, or whatever program you're using to view those actual wavs.... i haven't used eac in forever.

download audacity

Audacity: Download

and just open with it the .wav (or .flac or .mp3) files

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #36 of 104
This is one of the main reasons I got back into vinyl.

Nothing beats a properly mastered and pressed LP in terms of dynamics, warmth and sound.

Check out my post here about vinyl and compare the sound clips.

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #37 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is one of the main reasons I got back into vinyl.

Nothing beats a properly mastered and pressed LP in terms of dynamics, warmth and sound.

Check out my post here about vinyl and compare the sound clips.

I'd like to try a Vinyl setup when I have some cash..

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #38 of 104
I'm not sure if I'm more bothered by the awful remasters (and original releases) or the unceasing discussions about them. Maybe there should be an audio compression rant sub-forum, because half of what is said here is not about music, it is about music presentation, which is what the headphone, amp, and dac forums are about.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #40 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if I'm more bothered by the awful remasters (and original releases) or the unceasing discussions about them. Maybe there should be an audio compression rant sub-forum, because half of what is said here is not about music, it is about music presentation, which is what the headphone, amp, and dac forums are about.

No. No. No. Music is in itself music presentation. Audio compression has everything to do with music - it affects music in many ways. Headphones, amps and dacs are not about music presentation but, IMHO, about music perception (becoming aware of something via the senses). They allow our senses to pick up the music in a good way (unless you listen to Bose
wink.gif
).

I don't mean to be rude or anything, just a comment. Many a family member has told me this before and it is hard to express to them what music means to me. It is this deep love for music that causes me to want to obtain the best sounding version of a song. Is it wrong to want the best?
confused.gif
According to my wife and some of my family - YES. According to some of my audiophile friends - NO. I guess it just comes down to how much we each love music.

In short - if I am going to put down my hard earned money for something I love, it better be good. Otherwise - I feel like my money has gone to waste and become sad.
frown.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #41 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe there should be an audio compression rant sub-forum, because half of what is said here is not about music, it is about music presentation, which is what the headphone, amp, and dac forums are about.

I disagree. I try to include a discussion of recording/mastering quality whenever I write a review of an album. And I think in the music forum, discussions of recording/mastering quality in general are right on.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #43 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it's arguable that the MFSL Steely Dan waveform is not ideal either as it leaves some dynamic range on the table by being "too quiet". Those max peaks come nowhere near the max of what they might.

It looks like the peaks are above -6dB (50%) so you aren't really losing any resolution, but that is kind of low, although there isn't enough resolution in the display to see the max peak level, and there might be other songs on the CD that have higher peaks. Albums were often in the past mastered as a whole**, not song by song, so the average level of the music came into play, and a louder song (ie one with more background fill and not as dynamic, more compressed) would be mastered with lower peaks. Taking it up closer to 0db does introduce possible distortion on the peaks with many digital filters due to the intersample peaks going above 0dB. The conservative approach is to master at about -2db (80%) or -3db (70%) to avoid any playback problems, but that's almost never done anymore because people will complain that it's "too quiet"
smily_headphones1.gif

**Mark - I know you are a fan of that La's remaster, as I am, but it's a good example of what I mean. They only needed to add compression to a couple of the songs to bring down the peaks so the could then jack up the volume on the whole thing since most of it was originally mastered at a very low level. It was one of those albums where they mastered it as a "whole" album, so a couple songs had peaks that hit max and many didn't come close, but the average was set right. So when they remastered it and wanted to make it louder (obligatory these days for any reissue), all that was needed was to add some compression to a couple songs and then bring the whole thing up a few dB. Sure, I would've preferred if it was just remastered through better equipment and leave the level where it was. And they probably did compress the whole thing a bit to bring out a little more sparkle in the quiet areas, but it still sounds good.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #44 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nick20 Heres what to expect from the MFSL Imagine CD.

What file type is .AUP? And what program am I supposed to use to view this?

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back