Rant: Digital Remastering [PICS]
Dec 13, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #76 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In order.. these are the three best songs according to the graph IMO.

What do you guys think? AND, BTW, this CD sounds AWESOME!
eek.gif
My second "ear-gasm".. first was when I got my amp. I will be buying from MFSL whenever I can. I am pleased to say the least...
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick

Yeah. They look good. I too have this MFSL CD and it sounds great despite having been remastered from the remixed Yoko tapes. MFSL, DCC, Sheffield Labs, Chesky and Audio Fidelity are great labels with fantastic releases.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #77 of 104
The Aja remaster from MFSL has to be one of the best CDs I've ever heard, a very natural sound. Even when the MFSL masters are 'loud' compared to the masters of old they still seem to have a greater level of detail.

Dec 17, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #79 of 104
Apocalypsee, that looks like it has a fair amount of dynamic range. Here's an example of a bad mix versus a good one:

Top: Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll [2003 remaster]
Bottom: Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll [1988 original]
bbk.jpg

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #82 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apocalypsee, that looks like it has a fair amount of dynamic range. Here's an example of a bad mix versus a good one:

Top: Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll [2003 remaster]
Bottom: Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll [1988 original]
bbk.jpg

Thanks for confirmation
wink.gif
That's the best, most of the song in the album is pretty much like that, but during the chorus part it was too loud and makes it clip
mad.gif

It's 2006 album, Marit Larsen - Under The Surface. The song is Poison Passion if you wondering....

Back at your song: Why do they bother remaster it if it just makes it worse? I don't understand... some of the compilation are also bad, not only they badly remaster, but sometime they cut the song and not in the original length
mad.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #83 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for confirmation
wink.gif
That's the best, most of the song in the album is pretty much like that, but during the chorus part it was too loud and makes it clip
mad.gif

It's 2006 album, Marit Larsen - Under The Surface. The song is Poison Passion if you wondering....

Back at your song: Why do they bother remaster it if it just makes it worse? I don't understand... some of the compilation are also bad, not only they badly remaster, but sometime they cut the song and not in the original length
mad.gif

See link at bottom of signature.

"Stop the loudness War!"

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #84 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back at your song: Why do they bother remaster it if it just makes it worse?

In many cases, remasters are done to drum up sales and create hype for an older band. For the Cocteau Twins remasters, they had the band's guitarist--not a professional engineer--remaster the whole back catalog. Do you think that a guitarist who's been playing gigs for 20+ years, mostly without hearing protection, has the ability to properly remaster an album?

Another reason for remasters is to correct what some people believe to be the "sonic deficiencies" of older recordings. If you've listened to a lot of original recordings from the late '80s and early '90s, you'll notice a tendency to mix a bit "thin," with emphasis on the lower treble and not a lot of mid-bass. Perhaps this was a result of the need to master to cassette tapes, which tended to lose their high frequencies first as a result of tape wear, but for me, that's simply the sound of mixes from that period. The Cocteau Twins remasters have added multiband compression to greatly increase the relative volume of the bass information, and IMO this sounds worse than the overall volume increase (which itself sounds bad). Turn up the bass on a recording that has none, and chances are good that the bass will sound "dumpy."

Cocteau Twins's sonic signature is meant to have an airy ambience, and this is absolutely ruined by compression in the remasters--everything is "in-your-face."
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #85 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See link at bottom of signature.

"Stop the loudness War!"

I'm quite aware of loudness war, I just can't make the point of it

@infinitesymphony: Thanks for explaination, now I know why, but remastering modern music is silly

If you asked me, I love old recording, because since I was little I was exposed to these recording, Carpenters, Bee Gees, Dan Fogelberg, Bob James, that was on my father speaker and car all the time. I love it because it sounds organic

Dec 28, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #87 of 104
I just took a look at the waveformes of my music and one thing made me think:

Would I hear the difference between a CD and a LP if I compress it to 320kbit/s MP3?

Would the sounddifference be noticable enough to let me go through all the "trouble" vinyl makes?

Cheers, Juli

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #88 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just took a look at the waveformes of my music and one thing made me think:

Would I hear the difference between a CD and a LP if I compress it to 320kbit/s MP3?

Would the sounddifference be noticable enough to let me go through all the "trouble" vinyl makes?

Cheers, Juli

Creating a 320 kbps MP3 doesn't have the same effect as mastering to vinyl. Vinyl's unique sound comes from the way that the disc is cut and played back, and from the all-analog signal chains that were used to record music in the past. If you appreciate older music or newer music that was recorded in the analog domain, I think that vinyl is a worthwhile venture.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #89 of 104
Vinyl is great, but complicated. The best vinyl I have ever heard is an old Ortofon direct cut vinyl.

OT: Where did you get your Steely Dan - Aja MFSL? Big Steely Dan fan, but never been able to find and MFSL in the stores. Would love to hear how it compares to the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back